Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2008, 11:37   #76
God Member

Re: Lancashire hot pot ....

I think that moose steak sounds quite tasty too!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2008, 17:02   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I think that moose steak sounds quite tasty too!

I have a wonderful recipe for moose:

Take one gun, (should have a caliber of at least .270, preferably .308), add ammunition, buy a hunting licence, find moose, (don't get too close, moose are really dangerous animals ... don't let the goofy looks fool you ... and they object to being shot) ... kill moose, field dress moose (I'll spare everyone the gory details) ... haul moose to a butcher, pick up when it's all cut up, cook and eat.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 17:02   #78
God Member

..... and add a pinch of salt.
Old 14-08-2008, 17:05   #79

cant you eat cabbage instead?
Old 14-08-2008, 17:28   #80

don't think i have ever tried it although it sounds yummy

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 17:45   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny_tuesday View Post
cant you eat cabbage instead?
Cabbage rolls ... good Ukrainian food .... go well with moose.

Just chatting to a buddy of mine about this moose recipe. Dan is an expert on moose; he is a member of the James Bay Cree First Nation. His moose recipe is, he claims, the traditional Cree way of preparing moose. Kill moose, give moose to sqaw, drink beer until moose is ready, eat and enjoy. I got this recipe only by promising his wife wouldn't find out about it. If she does find out she will probably rip him a new one for using the "s" word
Old 14-08-2008, 18:40   #82
Passed away 25-11-09

Now you've got your suet you can make moose stew with dumplings.
Old 14-08-2008, 19:48   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Now you've got your suet you can make moose stew with dumplings.
Funny you should mention that ... I have everything ready for moose stew and dumplings .... now I'm working on what wine would best go with it. Moose meat is actually very tasty .... but the moose should be shot standing, same with deer, if you shoot them running the meat is too tough and gammy. And don't worry about Bambi; the annual hunt benefits the general deer and moose populations. Since man put a lot of pressure on natural predators like wolves, the populations have been getting too large and unhealthy. There is a program in Ontario to reintroduce wolves and protect them. Some sheep farmers object to this, but the sheep are in more danger from wandering Yorkshiremen than they are from wolves
Old 14-08-2008, 20:00   #84
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Funny you should mention that ... I have everything ready for moose stew and dumplings .... now I'm working on what wine would best go with it. Moose meat is actually very tasty .... but the moose should be shot standing, same with deer, if you shoot them running the meat is too tough and gammy. And don't worry about Bambi; the annual hunt benefits the general deer and moose populations. Since man put a lot of pressure on natural predators like wolves, the populations have been getting too large and unhealthy. There is a program in Ontario to reintroduce wolves and protect them. Some sheep farmers object to this, but the sheep are in more danger from wandering Yorkshiremen than they are from wolves

I'm all for reintroducing wolves, beautiful animals who've had a bad Press for far too long. Anyone who lives with a dog is, in reality, living with a wolf with a different haircut.

I'm very fond of venison but it can be rather tough and needs a lot of long, slow cooking. Now I know, it was shot while running away (how unsporting).

Which wine? A nice, fruity, Cabernet Merlot would go down very well with a venison casserole so, presumably, a moose one too. Ooh, my mouth's watering now.
Old 14-08-2008, 21:49   #85
God Member

Quote:
I'm all for reintroducing wolves, beautiful animals who've had a bad Press for far too long. Anyone who lives with a dog is, in reality, living with a wolf with a different haircut.

I'm very fond of venison but it can be rather tough and needs a lot of long, slow cooking. Now I know, it was shot while running away (how unsporting).

Which wine? A nice, fruity, Cabernet Merlot would go down very well with a venison casserole so, presumably, a moose one too. Ooh, my mouth's watering now.
Ah, another wolf fan ... beautiful animals .... if you drive thro certain parts of Kingston, late at night (or very early in the morning if you prefer), you often see wolves, particularly close to the conservation areas. Sometimes you can see the occasional Coyote; but they are really shy. Lots of fox around this year too. I agree on the wine .... I'm off to the El Cabo to buy some. I think I'll go with the moose stew with dumplings, a sort of cross-cultural meal.
Old 14-08-2008, 22:08   #86
God Member

Quote:

a tip I picked up in the middle east ....the best marinade for tough gamey meat , (Deer, Goat, Camel, wild pig etc. ) Pomegranate juice
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 10:20   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
a tip I picked up in the middle east ....the best marinade for tough gamey meat , (Deer, Goat, Camel, wild pig etc. ) Pomegranate juice
Do you forment it first steeljack then drink the gravy
Old 15-08-2008, 15:21   #88
Passed away 25-11-09

Never thought of that when I cooked camels', erm, appendages in Saudi. Mind you they reasonably soft - and a bit spongey - quite nice, actually, if you didn't think about what you were eating.
Old 15-08-2008, 18:44   #89
God Member

Ok so the moose stew was, if not great, at least tasty .... and the dumplings, not bad for a first effort. And the wine was fine. Burrrrrpp .... ah.
Old 30-08-2008, 14:19   #90
God Member

Harrods are working on having amongest others a Lancashire Hot-pot flavoured ice cream. Who is going to volunteer to try it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..