Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2013, 17:06   #1
God Member

LED lightbulbs

I have been using LED lightbulbs for a while now. They are more expensive to buy than fluorescents but they last a lot longer and use minimal electricity (less than fluorescents).

At my new address I have more ceiling lights and need to buy some, but have encountered a slight problem.

Two of the ceiling lights are of a type I have never seen before. They have conventional shaped fluorescent bulbs but they 'push on' -(not bayonet or screw) - and they have 4 pins (two each side of a central square block shape).

I have browsed umpteen sellers of lightbulbs and haven't even seen any bulbs identical to the ones I want to replace. I have seen some spiral and rod fluorescents with 4 pins, but none that are conventional shaped, so I don't even have a proper description of the two bulbs I want to replace with LED.

The lettering on the bulbs say - "RING GLS 13W G24q-12700K"

If there are any lighting experts amongst you, can you please advise me whether there are likely to be LED equivalents on sale. I know LED are gaining in popularity but the full range of wattage equivalents aren't easily available yet, especially the ones which provide the equivalent of high wattage.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2013, 17:52   #2
Senior Member+

Re: LED lightbulbs

I have very similar type bulbs in two of my rooms Margaret and have tried to get some spares but not had any luck locally.
I changed the fitting on the end of the hanging down wire for conventional ones eventually.
I have since been told that the electrical wholesaler at the start of Electricity street sells the type you are looking for, they will serve customers who are non-trade.
383421 is the number to phone.

Holland House at the top of Church street is another electrical store but I don't know if it is trade only

Best of luck.

Last edited by Neil; 28-07-2013 at 22:03. Reason: removed phone number
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 17:54   #3
Senior Member+

Try here margaret Lamp Bulbs – Energy Saving Light Bulbs (Lamps) & lighting advice for Retail, Industrial and Domestic use
Old 28-07-2013, 17:56   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have very similar type bulbs in two of my rooms Margaret and have tried to get some spares but not had any luck locally.
I changed the fitting on the end of the hanging down wire for conventional ones eventually.
I have since been told that the electrical wholesaler at the start of Electricity street sells the type you are looking for, they will serve customers who are non-trade.
383421 is the number to phone.

Holland House at the top of Church street is another electrical store but I don't know if it is trade only, 231 324 is the number.

Best of luck.
Denmans is the place on electricity street and are very helpful well worth a visit
Old 28-07-2013, 17:57   #5
JFT96

The key is the type, I did a bit of research and they seem to be G24 4pin, there are both 2 and 4 pin.

If you try a quick google search on that I am sure you will find some.
Although they seen quite expensive.
Cheers
Bg

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 18:47   #6
Senior Member+

MargaretR, check if you can buy a plug in converter so your own bulbs can be fitted- might save a bit of money!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 18:57   #7
I am Banned

They are a PLL lamp available at Denmans.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 18:58   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I have always used Denmans fer electricals fer donkeys years.
Old 28-07-2013, 19:15   #9
God Member

Wow ! - what fantastic responses - thanks everybody

In response to a PM, I attach a pic of the type of fitting on the bulb - although this pic is a typical fluorescent shape, and mine is a rounded bulb shape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pl-lamps.png.jpg (11.2 KB, 14 views)

Old 28-07-2013, 20:30   #10

Margaret I think you might be getting a bit muddled between LED lamps & low energy. LED are very tiny non replaceable lamps that are used in more decorative fittings, low energy are what have replaced conventional bayonet / screw fit lamps'. Fluorescent lamp are the type that you would see in schools or office type fittings and vary in length from a 2` tube to an 8` tube. (Like a sun bed tube) the writing on the lamp suggests its a PLL lamp as the picture you have posted. I'll give Denmans a ring in the morning as I haven't seen a globe type PLL lamp before (I used to work there for 4 years) and I'll post tomorrow-
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 20:50   #11
God Member

I have some of these
Long Life Lamp Company B22 10 Watt LED Light Bulb 830 Lumens Very Bright Equivalent to 75 Watt Incandescent Replacement, Warm White: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Candle-Light...ords=led+bulbs

Last edited by MargaretR; 28-07-2013 at 20:57.
Old 28-07-2013, 21:05   #12
God Member

The LED are available in a conventional bulb shape and in bayonet and screw fitting

LED Bulbs UK | Globe Light Bulbs UK | Turnstone LED Lighting

I am looking for some with a 4 pin fitting

Old 28-07-2013, 21:18   #13

Oh haven't seen those type before, but there are thousands of different types of lamps (lightbulbs). Even more so since the conventional type were made redundant. I left Denmans 8 years ago now & there's new products out probably every week. I'll still give them a bell in the morning & find out the name of the type you're after, and a price.
MargaretR likes this.
Old 28-07-2013, 21:25   #14
God Member

I realise that they are horrendously expensive but I think they are worth it.

They use a lot less leccy than fluorescents and last a lot longer too.

I reckon that the ones I have will last for the remainder of my lifetime , and I won't need the hassle of climbing steps to change a bulb (which matters when you get old and decrepit )

I have never seen any that give out more light than the old 75 watts but have read that more powerful ones have been developed in USA and will be available soon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/9782116.stm

Last edited by MargaretR; 28-07-2013 at 21:30.
Old 29-07-2013, 11:31   #15

Hi Margaret I've just been into Denmans they dont do a PLL lamp enclosed in a dome so as to look like a conventional light bulb. They said manufacturers dont tend to make them anymore. The ones they have are Denmans reference CLDE 13 SW approx £3 each + vat. Which are just as the picture you posted.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..