Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2013, 12:32   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Legal tender

We go to Scotland twice a year for our hols. Thank God they have got rid of their pound notes. It took them a while after us. We always try to get rid of the "foreign money" before we cross the border
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-07-2013, 13:00   #17
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Legal tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
We go to Scotland twice a year for our hols. Thank God they have got rid of their pound notes. It took them a while after us. We always try to get rid of the "foreign money" before we cross the border
Obviously you are immune to midge bites.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 13:46   #18

Just to be pedantic - the term "legal tender" has a very narrow definition, and it's for legal reasons: Basically it's the currency which has to be offered by a debtor for their debt to be considered legally satisfied. If you owe someone a fiver, and offer them a bottle of wine in repayment, they can choose to accept (or not). If you offer a fiver, they have no choice. If they refuse, the debt is still considered legally settled.

Note that for most retail transactions, there is no debt at the point of sale, so you have to accept the use of whatever prevailing currency is used - and it doesn't have to be legal tender.

At petrol stations, restaurants, photography studios etc - you are usually settling a debt, so whatever the local "legal tender" is - it has to be accepted. Other locally used denominations may also be acceptable, but that's not enshrined in law.

Scotland and Northern Ireland do not have any legal tender banknotes. Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale Bank, Northern Ireland, Bank of Ireland, First Trust, Danske Bank and Ulster Bank notes are not legal tender anywhere.

In England and Wales, Bank of England notes are all legal tender. Throughout Great Britain and Northern Ireland, coins are legal tender, with a 20p limit for 1p and 2p coins, $5 limit for 5p and 10p coins and £20 limit for 20p and 50p coins. There's no limit on £1, £2 and £5 coins.

It leaves you in the situation where if you offer to pay for a restaurant meal in Scotland (or anywhere else in the UK) using pound coins, and they refuse, you can legally walk out as the debt is considered satisfied. In England and Wales, if you offer to pay using BofE notes, the same situation can arise but in Scotland, they can refuse.

Manx notes are legal tender on the Isle of Man, BofE notes aren't; but if you're likely to have a problem, you can freely exchange the notes at any bank when over there, and change them back at any English bank when you're home.

Apart from that, you can use whatever you want, anywhere in the UK - as long as the retailer is happy to accept them. The practical problem of accepting a Scottish retail-bank note (for example) is that its use is not intuitive in England and Wales, so it's harder for your typical retailer to spot if it's a forgery. Any notes that are backed by a stockpile of sterling currency will be exchanged at any bank.

So for cash transactions in the Isle Of Man, you could go to a bank on your first day and swap sterling for Manx notes, then when you're back here, go to the post office or bank and swap them back. As far as I can tell, it's not a currency exchange, so there should be no commission.
Less likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 14:13   #19

Legal tender

For the above, Wow!
Old 13-07-2013, 15:02   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I travelled extensively in Scotland when I was working and never had any English notes refused.
If Ii used the Southwaite services near Carlisle and my change included notes many times I would get Scottish notes going North and if I paid with Scottish notes Southbound I would get English notes in change.
Me too Gremlin, mind you I used to get a few strange looks when giving a Scottish note over the bar down here
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 16:38   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Obviously you are immune to midge bites.
We go before or after the breeding season
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 17:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
We go before or after the breeding season

Is that an age thing?

I bet 20 years ago you wouldn't have missed it!
Old 14-07-2013, 06:15   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Are Isle of Man coins legal tender in this country, just had an argy with face ache who says they are not.
But to me if they have the Queens head on and a date & the words Elizabeth II then they are legal. Searched the internet but can't find owt definite, although some Isle on Man decimal coins are now collectors items. Also found that English 5, 10, 20, & 50 quid notes are not legal tender in Scotland & Northern Ireland.
Canadian coins have the Queen's head on them ... and a date ... And "Elizabeth ll, D.G." ... but I think you would have trouble paying for your pint with loonies and toonies.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:14   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Are Isle of Man coins legal tender in this country, just had an argy with face ache who says they are not.
But to me if they have the Queens head on and a date & the words Elizabeth II then they are legal. Searched the internet but can't find owt definite, although some Isle on Man decimal coins are now collectors items. Also found that English 5, 10, 20, & 50 quid notes are not legal tender in Scotland & Northern Ireland.
Ask yourself the question in reverse
i.e. would you be happy to except your change in Manx notes,
Put yourself in the retailor’s position would you be able to recognise if a foreign currency note was genuine or forged, it’s difficult enough to be sure with our own currency
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 08:12   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
Ask yourself the question in reverse
i.e. would you be happy to except your change in Manx notes,
Put yourself in the retailor’s position would you be able to recognise if a foreign currency note was genuine or forged, it’s difficult enough to be sure with our own currency
Good point accybeme
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..