Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2009, 17:04   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: Little white lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Try Aunt Bessies kate their better than ASDA's own
Oh no Jaysay ... don't like Aunt Bessies ... they don't rise properly.

The Asda ones I buy are their 'specials' .. 4 big square ones in a pack, just 4 minute warm up ... they are lovely. Can even get a sausage in them to emulate Toad in the Hole ... I lie not.

Sometimes 'tis dangerous not to tell a white lie, but if you are little inexperienced can be difficult as one episode I had:-

Daughter enters ready for night out wearing high black boots and other black clothing, asks me for opinion .. not sure whether was white lie or not, but said "'looks lovely".

Wishing to get a second opinion, she turns to much younger brother (probably about 13 years at the time). He, of course, totally disinterested says "Yes, Ok". Daughter suspects he has done a man-type thing here and forces the point until young son says "Ok, you look like a prostitute" Think he learnt a lesson that day.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-03-2009, 18:08   #62
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Try Aunt Bessies kate their better than ASDA's own
Try smart price ones(ready made, cuz im a lazy git)...half the price and taste bootiful
Old 19-03-2009, 18:46   #63
God Member

Quote:
I agree with you Margaret, I don't think I'd have wanted to tell my father how poorly he was either, sometimes it is better to hide the truth, especially on halth issues
Is hiding the truth different from lying? And, if so, how is it different
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 18:53   #64

I suppose if you say nothing when asked you're asked then you can't lie....can you??

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 18:58   #65
God Member

Another point - when you choose to tell the truth - you are choosing to indicate -
I will not insult you by misleading you
I am self confident enough to not mind if you cannot accept it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 19:08   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Oh no Jaysay ... don't like Aunt Bessies ... they don't rise properly.

The Asda ones I buy are their 'specials' .. 4 big square ones in a pack, just 4 minute warm up ... they are lovely. Can even get a sausage in them to emulate Toad in the Hole ... I lie not.

Sometimes 'tis dangerous not to tell a white lie, but if you are little inexperienced can be difficult as one episode I had:-

Daughter enters ready for night out wearing high black boots and other black clothing, asks me for opinion .. not sure whether was white lie or not, but said "'looks lovely".

Wishing to get a second opinion, she turns to much younger brother (probably about 13 years at the time). He, of course, totally disinterested says "Yes, Ok". Daughter suspects he has done a man-type thing here and forces the point until young son says "Ok, you look like a prostitute" Think he learnt a lesson that day.
Oh stop it, I'm gasping for breathe kate Kids as I think we've said before, don' you just love um, well maybe not big sisters that is
Old 19-03-2009, 19:10   #67
God Member

Did you not wonder how he knew (at the tender age of 13)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 19:16   #68
Beacon of light

You know Margaret, that is just what I thought at the time that kate posted that....but I felt it was impolite to ask.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 19:17   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
I suppose if you say nothing when asked you're asked then you can't lie....can you??
In other words, you take the fifth?
Old 19-03-2009, 19:20   #70

We don't have that in the UK Eric!!

Although I think many a little white lie has been told in our courts without detection - some whoppers too no doubt!!!

So unless you're privy to such an act, how do you know??

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 19:22   #71
Beacon of light

I think the post which outlines the number of ways to lie explains it all.......you can lie just as easily by omission as by comission......you can lie by telling the truth, but out of context and in a way that twists the truth.......
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 19:58   #72
Passed away 25-11-09

I think it would be a horrible world if we all told only the strict truth all the time. What a miserable bunch we'd all be.

I have a neighbour who, twenty-odd years ago, gave birth to her youngest child who was one the the ugliest babies I've ever seen. The first time I saw her pushing the pram I leaned over to look at the baby, as you do, ready to say how beautiful she was - and she wasn't. What could I say? The mother stood there looking a bit apprehensive (I think even she knew this kid was seriously revolting) and I had to say, "Oh, she's lovely." I suppose I could have been honest and said she was not at all lovely or been diplomatic and said nothing but I think that would have been worse. How could I hurt that mother? Well, I couldn't.

I'm not an habitual liar. I don't lie about important things but I'll lie to be kind - if I have to. Oh and, Susie, I like your style.

P.S. The ugly baby is now about 25 and ........ not too bad.
Old 19-03-2009, 20:10   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
In other words, you take the fifth?
Well its not in British law Eric, but by the hell if it was there would be plenty of people using it believe me
Old 19-03-2009, 23:46   #74
God Member

Jaysay and Churchman: are you sure you don't have the fifth? I'm inclined to believe that some form of "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I might incriminate myself" exists in English law. Even if it is not explicitly stated in any form of written constitution, it must, in an enlightened legal system such as yours, be strongly implied in practice. In Canada, as far as I am aware, any accused in a court of law cannot be forced to give evidence against him/herself ... and that is what the fifth is all about. Damned Tullamore Dew makes me sound like a pedant Keep an eye out for my (possible) upcoming article in "Studies in Bibliography" on the first impression of the first edition of Fielding's "Tom Jones" ... recommended for those who have trouble sleeping
Old 20-03-2009, 09:46   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Jaysay and Churchman: are you sure you don't have the fifth? I'm inclined to believe that some form of "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I might incriminate myself" exists in English law. Even if it is not explicitly stated in any form of written constitution, it must, in an enlightened legal system such as yours, be strongly implied in practice. In Canada, as far as I am aware, any accused in a court of law cannot be forced to give evidence against him/herself ... and that is what the fifth is all about. Damned Tullamore Dew makes me sound like a pedant Keep an eye out for my (possible) upcoming article in "Studies in Bibliography" on the first impression of the first edition of Fielding's "Tom Jones" ... recommended for those who have trouble sleeping
On reflection the miranda does say You have the rite to remain silent, If you do speak, it will be written down and maybe used in evidence against you, but I can't think there is anything like the fifth in British law, but I do know the accused does not have to go in the witness box, during his/her trial, as was demonstrated in the recent murder trial of the guy who shot that young kid in Liverpool

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..