Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2011, 22:19   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: loose potato pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
No Hedman, Scouse is a stew believed to have it's ancestry in the Scandinavian Labskause a traditional dish of mariners, so more akin to hotpot than potato pie. Mainly made of Beef & Veg but other meat can be used, dependent on budget.

The Original Scouse Recipe (aka LOBSCOUSE or LABSKAUSE)
Some people make their loose spud pie so wet, it is like a stew with a crust on.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2011, 01:42   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And blind scouse is scouse without any meat......a stew of just veg and barley........if you got that you knew that the state was in a bad country(i.e. you were really poor).

My potato pie has a top crust, and is usually made with corned beef......if it has no crust it is tater hash.
That's how my gran made hers ... every tuesday. The underside of the crust was to die for.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:22   #18
Resting in Peace

Anybody have steak pudding made in't rag, used to love it when I was a kid, never taske anything like it these days
Old 08-04-2011, 09:40   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Anybody have steak pudding made in't rag, used to love it when I was a kid, never taske anything like it these days
yep funnily enough first time i had it was when i lived in Spain. a friend i got to know had it on t menu, its rather splendid.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
yep funnily enough first time i had it was when i lived in Spain. a friend i got to know had it on t menu, its rather splendid.
Never had it for years now cashy, infact just talking about it is making my mouth water
Old 08-04-2011, 10:02   #21

yes i have had them when i was a little boy at my gran she made all kind of things like that and it was good too
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 13:55   #22
Junior Member+

Quote:
Clayton Street chippy (in Harrod) has new owners now and they have a rag pudding on their menu - apparantly its amazing and I did hear claim that if you didnt like it, u could return it! Dont quote me on that bit tho!

This chippy and its "Clacky Diner" remains Harrod's TOP chippy! (IMO)
cribNwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 13:56   #23
Junior Member+

Also, I recently had FABULOUS loose potato pie with gravy on top, from that little bakery near Wilko's and opposite that cash converters shop in Accy
cribNwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 13:59   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribNwine View Post
Clayton Street chippy (in Harrod) has new owners now and they have a rag pudding on their menu - apparantly its amazing and I did hear claim that if you didnt like it, u could return it! Dont quote me on that bit tho!

This chippy and its "Clacky Diner" remains Harrod's TOP chippy! (IMO)
Lol, at return the pudding if you don't like it.

How long do they give you to decide?

Can you retch it back up, or even wait until it comes out the other end, before taking it back, as unliked?

I might pop down and try my luck.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40   #25

Gobbiners Cafe in Ossy make loose potato pie for their outside catering. It consists of potatoes, steak, onions and carrots with a pastry on the top.

Scouse was, but will have changed a bit now, all the leftovers bunged in big pan and left to "gain flavour". It was stirred around bringing the bottom to the top, and continually added to. The scouse pan was rarely empty, being topped up every day.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:46   #26

I went to a chippy in blackpool once called heskeths they knew exactly wat loose pot pie was an exactly how to make it, damn good grub
Posted via Mobile Device
ianakabigsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianakabigsy View Post
I went to a chippy in blackpool once called heskeths they knew exactly wat loose pot pie was an exactly how to make it, damn good grub
Posted via Mobile Device
Heskeths was well known for good grub, just wondering if its still there
Old 08-09-2011, 09:03   #28

LOL, its rather splendid, I love that Mr Cashman.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:47   #29
God Member

Quote:
Yeah -fab! My Nanny used to make great steak puddings...they used to do a really good (and Massive!) one at The Swan with Two Necks in Pendleton too. I'm going back about 30 years before it was "done up" and they got rid of the stuffed bear!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:54   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Loose potato pie is cooked with a pastry lid, which is then cut up and served with the filling, therefore it's a pie.

A pie is anything cooked, or baked, with an edible lid.
I used to work for a caterer up in Ossy (Jean Hurn) from the age of 16-18 - serving up buffets and Loose potato pie at various local "dos" round the Accy area - the pastry was always cut up and served separately, on the side. It was always eaten with pickled red cabbage or beetroot. A great favourite especially with the older clients -Darby and Joan club etc!! (I always used to get great tips, especially if i had a dance with a few of the old chaps)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..