Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 18:22   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: loose potato pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I used to work for a caterer up in Ossy (Jean Hurn) from the age of 16-18 - serving up buffets and Loose potato pie at various local "dos" round the Accy area - the pastry was always cut up and served separately, on the side. It was always eaten with pickled red cabbage or beetroot. A great favourite especially with the older clients -Darby and Joan club etc!! (I always used to get great tips, especially if i had a dance with a few of the old chaps)
Still going Strong mobertol, they even used to do a lot of catering for HBC but I think they've lost the contract now
Old 08-09-2011, 20:46   #32
Beacon of light

Jean and Terry have a catering establishment on Nuttall Street in Accrington....and also a place on Wellington Street........I think this is where most of the work involved in the outside catering takes place.
Terry was an ambulanceman for many years......and I came into contact with him regularly. I found him to be a thoroughly likeable chap. The patients liked him too(especially the old ladies - he made a big fuss of them).
Judith Addison likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:34   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jean and Terry have a catering establishment on Nuttall Street in Accrington....and also a place on Wellington Street........I think this is where most of the work involved in the outside catering takes place.
Terry was an ambulanceman for many years......and I came into contact with him regularly. I found him to be a thoroughly likeable chap. The patients liked him too(especially the old ladies - he made a big fuss of them).
Ya Margaret Terry picked me up too on a few occasions, mind you I've never really come across anybody in this profession that isn't first class
Old 09-09-2011, 11:20   #34
God Member

Glad to hear news of Jean and Terry -will pass it on to my mum too who used to teach their kids -that's how I got the job with them through her knowing them...
They were both really hard workers ,Terry did most of the deliveries and used to take me to the various events. My sister Denise worked for them too as they were always busy. They also did my wedding buffet!
Judith Addison likes this.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:21   #35
God Member

Back on thread -the potato pie was made "loose" so the pastry didn't go soggy!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:51   #36

Ok fellow Accy webbers - feels like I'm doing missionary work with those from outside our wonderful area following more blank expressions of "whats looose potatoe pie"

So at some stage i'm going to treat my work colleagues to said potatoe pie made by me

Now the problem I've sampled loads of them at many functions since my childhood but never made one so does anyone have a recepie thats a bit more than peel spuds add beef and water and cook?

Your advice would be much appreciated
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:11   #37
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
Ok fellow Accy webbers - feels like I'm doing missionary work with those from outside our wonderful area following more blank expressions of "whats looose potatoe pie"

So at some stage i'm going to treat my work colleagues to said potatoe pie made by me

Now the problem I've sampled loads of them at many functions since my childhood but never made one so does anyone have a recepie thats a bit more than peel spuds add beef and water and cook?

Your advice would be much appreciated
Yep, I've always understood, like several other posters, loose potato pie to be meat and potatoes cooked in quantity then covered with a pastry lid which when cooked was cut up and served separately along with beetroot and/or red cabbage. That is as opposed to an individual potato pie which to me always has too much crust. I've never heard the term elsewhere than Accy.

My mum, who was a good cook and although a southerner very good at Northern recipes, used to make hers in a mixing bowl, one of the big yellow ones, and the pastry was always very slightly soggy underneath, which I liked. Mind you, her pastry was to die for anyway!

If you need a recipe for such a thing this might do:

How To Make Meat And Potato Pie Recipe (Savoury Pies)

I see they add carrots to the meat which you might not want to do.

Funnily enough we're having stewed potatoes tonight - but made with bacon rather than left over meat.

Last edited by susie123; 07-02-2013 at 17:15.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 19:33   #38
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Funnily enough we're having stewed potatoes tonight - but made with bacon rather than left over meat.
Just eaten them - and boy were they good... Potatoes carrots onion leek and bacon - so simple yet so tasty - with some pickled beetroot on the side.
Old 08-02-2013, 23:52   #39

A few months ago I was in Clitheroe one lunch-time on my way to a meeting at Ribble Valley Council Offices. Sometimes I call into a shop just down the street which sells barbecued chicken, pies, sandwiches, etc. While they were making up my chicken sandwich I said, "Have you got a jellied pie?" Silence - no-one answered, neither shop assistants nor customers. I repeated my question and just got strange looks, like I was an alien landed from another planet! I commented to friends afterwards, "Does civilisation does not extend as far as Clitheroe?" I'm sure Martin's Bakers and Hurn's Confectioners both know full well what a jellied pie is!
mobertol likes this.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:17   #40

[QUOTE=jaysay;897077]Anybody have steak pudding made in't rag, used to love it when I was a kid, never taske anything like it these days[My mum used to nake it with /QUOTE]

My Mum used to make a steak and Kydney pudding with the pastry made with suet the reult was something to die for.

She also cooked her potato pie and after it was nearly cooked put a pastry crust on the top.

With the remaining cust (made with a touch of salt in it) she made "Sad" Cake or Poor Mans Cake, very nice with butter.
mobertol likes this.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:03   #41
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=keith higson;1041186]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Anybody have steak pudding made in rag, used to love it when I was a kid, never take anything like it these days[My mum used to make it with /QUOTE]

My Mum used to make a steak and Kidney pudding with the pastry made with suet the result was something to die for.

She also cooked her potato pie and after it was nearly cooked put a pastry crust on the top.

With the remaining cust (made with a touch of salt in it) she made "Sad" Cake or Poor Mans Cake, very nice with butter.
Our two houses seem very similar when we were growing up Keith, potato pie in a dish with crust on, on top of steak pudding sad cake, bet you had Broth with a sprig of time and little lads in two (dumplings) the good old days
mobertol likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:39   #42
Beacon of light

John....I think most houses were very similar.......I used to get sent for a broth posy to the market and I woult throw the Thyme into the long grass on the way home.....I hated it(and still do)....Ma used to tell me not to buy the broth posy unless it had a sprig of Thyme in it.......it is only recently that i confessed. I would have got my legs slapped.....except I can run faster than Ma can hobble.

We used to have Sea Pie too........his was a stew of any vegetables, scraps of meat(sometimes neck of lamb,rabbit, boiling fowl, or bacon bits) cooked in a huge pan and a suet crust put on top just about 15-20 minutes before it was due to be served....the lid was put on the pan and the crust steamed to perfection.
I once asked why it was called 'Sea Pie' because it seemed like it had nothing at all to do with the sea....apparently they did it like this on ships to stop the stew from slopping out of the pan in rough seas.....I don't know how true this is...but it stuck in my mind.
Good honest, stick to your ribs grub....it was what kept us going.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:33   #43
Resting In Peace

Quote:
John....I think most houses were very similar.......I used to get sent for a broth posy to the market and I woult throw the Thyme into the long grass on the way home.....I hated it(and still do)....Ma used to tell me not to buy the broth posy unless it had a sprig of Thyme in it.......it is only recently that i confessed. I would have got my legs slapped.....except I can run faster than Ma can hobble.

We used to have Sea Pie too........his was a stew of any vegetables, scraps of meat(sometimes neck of lamb,rabbit, boiling fowl, or bacon bits) cooked in a huge pan and a suet crust put on top just about 15-20 minutes before it was due to be served....the lid was put on the pan and the crust steamed to perfection.
I once asked why it was called 'Sea Pie' because it seemed like it had nothing at all to do with the sea....apparently they did it like this on ships to stop the stew from slopping out of the pan in rough seas.....I don't know how true this is...but it stuck in my mind.
Good honest, stick to your ribs grub....it was what kept us going.
Oh Margaret - thyme is my favourite herb - takes me right back to those broth posies...

And all-in stews - cow heel anyone?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:49   #44
Beacon of light

Sue, it has to go with my list of foods created by the devil.......celery, oregano,basil, tripe, haggis, liver, kidney(strangely, I like the flavour in the gravy, but pick the pieces of kidney out of a dish and give them to himself - he loves it) tongue.......oh I could write a long list....but thyme and celery would be close to the top.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:59   #45
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Sue, it has to go with my list of foods created by the devil.......celery, oregano,basil, tripe, haggis, liver, kidney(strangely, I like the flavour in the gravy, but pick the pieces of kidney out of a dish and give them to himself - he loves it) tongue.......oh I could write a long list....but thyme and celery would be close to the top.
The only food I will categorically not eat is tuna and that's because I was force fed it in lodgings years ago when I was doing my first job. Cucumber, iceberg lettuce and uncooked apples disagree with me - too cold in the stomach, just like drinking a glass of water, peppers I love but they don't like me, and and at the moment I'm not allowed sweetcorn, nuts or mushrooms which is a shame cos I love mushrooms - a fry up's not the same without them! Anything else is fair game - sometimes literally! I may not like it but I'll give it a go.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..