Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2012, 09:27   #16
Senior Member+

Re: LS Lowry Paintings.

If it's a limited edition print it will have a number on it somewhere e.g. 1 of 50 or 3 of 150
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-08-2012, 09:28   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I've just sent e-mail to Christie's in London - reply came back; they have sent photo I took to an expert and it could take 6 weeks for a reply to come back on his assessment.
Well at least they're taking you serious, so you could well be in luck, they would do that if they were sure it was of no significance, given the fact that they'll have some people on site who know there onions too
Old 29-08-2012, 09:35   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
If it's a limited edition print it will have a number on it somewhere e.g. 1 of 50 or 3 of 150
The back is painted black - so if there was something on the back it may have been painted over.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 09:49   #19
God Member

Whatever Christies say, it may be wise to get a second opinion.
The Lowry Collection in Salford don't provide an authentification and valuation service, but they do provide this list of those that do -
Do I Have A Lowry?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 10:01   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Whatever Christies say, it may be wise to get a second opinion.
The Lowry Collection in Salford don't provide an authentification and valuation service, but they do provide this list of those that do -
Do I Have A Lowry?
Cheers Margaret, It's probably a piece of old junk in all likely hood might be worth £20:00.

There are a couple on Ebay.

LS Lowry coming home from the mill signed LTD edition on board | eBay
Old 29-08-2012, 10:01   #21
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
It will take a lot of effort to find out what it is, if it's a print, worth anything or what. Let alone find what official name he gave it as he did over 1,000 paintings and 8,000 drawings.

If it's authentic it would be worth half a million. If it's a print could be worth up to a few grand or £20!!!? It's getting an honest valuation.
I would have thought that telling a painting from a print wouldn't be that difficult - can you not see whether there is any actual paint on the surface?

It's a very weird scene with that water in the middle of the picture going right up to the houses in the foreground - doesn't look very realistic to me.
Old 29-08-2012, 10:08   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I would have thought that telling a painting from a print wouldn't be that difficult - can you not see whether there is any actual paint on the surface?

It's a very weird scene with that water in the middle of the picture going right up to the houses in the foreground - doesn't look very realistic to me.
Cheers Sue - I don't know? It's a case of investigating to find out at least what it is? But most likely it's junk, but at least I'd like to know if it is a copy of a LS Lowry and what it's called.

Like you say there are some mistakes on the painting - so perhaps it's someone copying Lowry's style who messed up? That's the most likely explanation?
Old 29-08-2012, 11:10   #23
Resting In Peace

Hooray! This is the original, Kes - yours must be a print or a copy...

BBC - Your Paintings - River Scene

And you can buy a modern hand painted copy here...

http://www.galeriedada.com/ls-lowry-...-00001245.html

Last edited by susie123; 29-08-2012 at 11:20.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 12:59   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Hooray! This is the original, Kes - yours must be a print or a copy...

BBC - Your Paintings - River Scene

And you can buy a modern hand painted copy here...

River Scene - L.S. Lowry Art Reproduction | Galerie Dada
Thanks Sue - I figured it wasn't original but worth finding out. Those copies are pretty expensive, one the size I have is £200:00, hand painted.
Old 01-09-2012, 19:20   #25

if you take it to Howarth Art Gallery they should be able to tell you if it's genuine. I once had the same problem with a bottochelli they checked it over there and then before giving me the bad news!
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 22:26   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngleIron View Post
if you take it to Howarth Art Gallery they should be able to tell you if it's genuine. I once had the same problem with a bottochelli they checked it over there and then before giving me the bad news!
Its a bit of a trail from London.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:05   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Its a bit of a trail from London.
whoops.....missed that one
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:48   #28
Senior Member+

I have had a Lowry print for at least twenty years. Ten years ago a dealer offered me £250 but I thought I would keep it a bit longer. It is about 18 inches by 24 inches.
It is the one in the frame below

I found out the original had been sold in 2008 for £500,000. The photo in the magazine didn't show the full width of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photofr4fr4f.jpg (127.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg photo4f4f.jpg (20.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have had a Lowry print for at least twenty years. Ten years ago a dealer offered me £250 but I thought I would keep it a bit longer. It is about 18 inches by 24 inches.
It is the one in the frame below

I found out the original had been sold in 2008 for £500,000. The photo in the magazine didn't show the full width of it.
That's a really nice scene -i'd keep it if i were you -nice to have on your wall.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..