Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2012, 13:25   #181
God Member

Re: Making sculptures to go on the Coppice

More likely to have originated from -

kopje - definition of kopje by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
kopje koppie
noun (S. African) hill, down (archaic), fell, mount, height, mound, prominence, elevation, eminence, hilltop, tor, knoll, hillock, brae (Scot.) the rocky kopjes, small hills rising like islands

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2012, 13:34   #182
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

kopje - definition of kopje by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
kopje koppie
noun (S. African) hill, down (archaic), fell, mount, height, mound, prominence, elevation, eminence, hilltop, tor, knoll, hillock, brae (Scot.) the rocky kopjes, small hills rising like islands
Not convinced, but will keep an open mind.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 18:24   #183

Quote:
They are amazing I wish I could do that!

I wonder how they managed to make it without people hearing the sound of the whatever they used to cut it?? :S ?? I like that the maker/makers are anonymous aswell.

I've always understood the Coppice had trees planted to stop a landslide. My dad has a few pictures somewhere of what it looked like before trees were planted there.
He says he prefers it without trees and could run up to the top and back to his house again with my grandma looking out the back window on Burnley road and she could see him go all the way up because there were no trees at all then. This is going back 40< years.

I wish the Coppice was entirely unspoilt, but whenever I go up and walk around the back to the reservoirs they always have rubbish/litter everywhere around the edge. It would be good if someone, even community police officers could walk about it every now and again to guard it.

There is the Venus and Cupid sculpture in Morecambe that is said to be in memory of those lost at sea, including the cockle pickers:

Bay Views: Venus and Cupid, Morecambe Promenade

I personally think it would have been better suited to where it was originally supposed to be placed (St Georges Quay Lancaster), as I think that having it as a tribute, when it was not originally designed to be a tribute is stretching it a bit........ throwing in a reason after it was made, rather than being made for that reason.

Useful definition of Kopje, thanks

Sonnart
Sonnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 19:25   #184
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yer dads right sonnart, The coppice without trees was our cross country practice run, straight up from the Avenue Parade n Straight up No path involved,was knackering, but it made me a good un.
Old 27-02-2012, 21:24   #185
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnart View Post
There is the Venus and Cupid sculpture in Morecambe that is said to be in memory of those lost at sea, including the cockle pickers:

Bay Views: Venus and Cupid, Morecambe Promenade

I personally think it would have been better suited to where it was originally supposed to be placed (St Georges Quay Lancaster), as I think that having it as a tribute, when it was not originally designed to be a tribute is stretching it a bit........ throwing in a reason after it was made, rather than being made for that reason.

Useful definition of Kopje, thanks

Sonnart
The statue is not really for the cocklers as far as I know, that's the first I've heard of it. There is a memorial garden to them on the prom in the centre of town.

However the statue nearly disappeared recently:
BBC News - Venus and Cupid fund may lead to Morecambe arts trust
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 21:30   #186
Resting In Peace

Quote:

kopje koppie
Margaret I'm with you on this... Chambers has kop, S. Afr, a hill generally round topped, from Dutch for head, and coppice or copse from the Old French for newly cut wood.

Since the name is not on any maps does anyone know how long people have been calling it the Coppice?
Old 27-02-2012, 21:57   #187
Give, give, give member

According to this, there are photographs from 1848, showing the Coppice being coppiced with trees.

Roy's information site on Huncoat, History, Walking and Weather etc.

Though apparently it was more or less bereft of trees by 1909.

Can't see there being a Dutch connection, if as it seems, it was referrred to locally as the Coppice, prior to the Boer War.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 22:18   #188
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
According to this, there are photographs from 1848, showing the Coppice being coppiced with trees.

Roy's information site on Huncoat, History, Walking and Weather etc.

Though apparently it was more or less bereft of trees by 1909.

Can't see there being a Dutch connection, if as it seems, it was referrred to locally as the Coppice, prior to the Boer War.
The old French word copeiz, is apparently derived from the Latin word colpacticum, meaning 'having been cut'.

As much of this area had already been deforested for farming before the Roman Invasion, Susie's suggestion that the hill might have been managed and coppiced to help prevent further soil erosion, makes sense to me.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 22:26   #189
God Member

(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Forestry) a thicket or dense growth of small trees or bushes, esp one regularly trimmed back to stumps so that a continual supply of small poles and firewood is obtained

Look to the English meaning of the word too!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 08:27   #190
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yer dads right sonnart, The coppice without trees was our cross country practice run, straight up from the Avenue Parade n Straight up No path involved,was knackering, but it made me a good un.
Watching cashy run up the copice, ya I'd pay good money to have seen that
Old 28-02-2012, 09:29   #191
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
Not sure I agree that the addition of trees spoils the coppice. It was done initially to stabilize the coppice as the top soil was sliding off the shale base on the face. It both stabilized the coppice and prevented further erosion
The majority of trees planted were larch,and silver birch.

It was said that before man deforested the country a squirrel could climb a tree at lands end and not have to climb to the ground until he reached john o'groats, should we not support replanting of trees where possible. So it depends how far back in time you are prepared to go as to what is called the "norm"

Incidentally the term coppice applies to a managed group of trees grown to support industry, don't know if it applies here but food for thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The old French word copeiz, is apparently derived from the Latin word colpacticum, meaning 'having been cut'.

As much of this area had already been deforested for farming before the Roman Invasion, Susie's suggestion that the hill might have been managed and coppiced to help prevent further soil erosion, makes sense to me.
Gary It wasn't me who suggested that, it was Dave... see above quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Margaret I'm with you on this... Chambers has kop, S. Afr, a hill generally round topped, from Dutch for head, and coppice or copse from the Old French for newly cut wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
(Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Forestry) a thicket or dense growth of small trees or bushes, esp one regularly trimmed back to stumps so that a continual supply of small poles and firewood is obtained

Look to the English meaning of the word too!
Dianne the derivation and meaning of the English word is what I was referring to in my post quoted above.

I can probably tell you more about the management of a coppice than you really need to know. When we lived in Wiltshire we were in a farm cottage on the edge of a field, all of which was surrounded by one of the last remaining areas of hazel coppice still managed in the traditional way for forestry products. These included spars for thatching (holding down the thatch on a roof) and longer poles and spars for making wattle fencing. Managed on a 7 year rotation if I remember rightly.

Our village pub had a name unique in this country, the Hook and Glove, being named after the traditional implements used by coppicers - the hook being used to cut down the wood, and the leather glove for protection.

If you want to know more... interesting website, especially the section on threats to coppices.

Welcome to the Coppice Products Web Site

Tags
coppice, local, memories, photos, sculpture

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..