Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2011, 12:57   #16
Rest in Peace

Re: Making sculptures to go on the Coppice

Only memories i have of the coppice which i can put into print are of being in a torchlight procession around 1945--1947 to commemorate the ending of the war in Europe or the Far East
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2011, 13:28   #17
I am Banned

Groove thinks Accy missed out on the panopticon scheme due to people acting like the coppice is some sacred shrine. Groove likes the sculptures on the hills in Burnley and Haslingden. Groove is upset that a few moaners prevented Accy having the same.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 13:51   #18
Resting in Peace

Don't know what style sculpture you do,Sonnart, but I would do a sculpture of the shelter which stood there for many years until it was demolished recently.

It had four shelters with benches and, in them, I would put varying scenes e.g. a kissing couple, the elderly resting their legs, family eating a picnic, youths smoking on a sneaky fag, children running around the outside flags, playing hide and seek, with a dog somewhere enjoying their game.

All ages got pleasure out of this shelter, including me..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 16:52   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

All ages got pleasure out of this shelter, including me..
He's not going to see the replies if you get this thread moved to Over 18's
Old 25-10-2011, 19:36   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
He's not going to see the replies if you get this thread moved to Over 18's
There was me trying to be helpful for a change and you have to drag it down to gutter level !

By the way, Sonnart is a 'she'.
Old 25-10-2011, 23:56   #21
God Member

Wee bit drammatic perhaps - "we live to fight another day" may be more appropriate!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 12:44   #22

Thankyou all for your great replies ☺

MargaretR - Thanks for the links, they are really useful, ☺ already in my research folder ☺

Tealeaf - Don’t worry, I won’t be sticking any huge awful abstract style sculpture up there, that would ruin it! My sculptures are only 1ft high at the moment ☺
They will not be an eyesore I assure you, you’ll have to find them 1st :P They are made of wood from the coppice (fallen trees, I will only use fallen trees, I won’t cut anything down ☺ ) to make them blend into the landscape better.

I will put a picture up soon of what they will look like, but the best description I can give of them/how I make them at the moment is that they are long slithers of wood, layered on top of each other. Then a template laid on the side to cut around (currently of my grandma and grandad until I get more photos of people on the coppice) so what is left is a shilouette.

I am making it out of fallen wood because I’d like to give the wood a last spark of life (seen as it is going to rot anyway) in the form of a memory sculpture, that will eventually rot back into the coppice.
I am aiming to make them look as natural as possible, only wood, no metal/plastic etc. Although I have considered using Accrington brick but that would be hard to use and just complicate things…

Garinda - I agree, it is very very windy up there, which is taken into account of my sculptures. I may place a block of wood underneath the sculptures (attached to them), then place that block in the ground and cover it up with leaves/debris , so it looks like it ‘grew’ there, and not just been plonked there. This will also act as an anchor and stop it from being blown over (which I doubt it will be, as it is only 1 ft high)

I’m studying at the university of Cumbria (I know, a failing uni ☹ My course is one that has been run out since my 1st year, which means there is only us 3rd years here, they haven’t taken any other students onto the course. And half our tutors have gone ☹ anyway, that’s another story)

Accyman - I’d probably see off someone who wanted to put a spaceship up there too :S what were they thinking :S

Claytonx - That sounds interesting, do you have any more information on that? Or know if any photographs were taken of it?

Katex - I have considered that ☺ I have got plans on what types of scenes my sculptures could be in, including a little boy playing on the roof (my dad when he was younger! 40years ago :P )Thanks for your scenes though, very useful. Oh and yes I am female ☺
Sonnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 13:10   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Sonnart i assume Cumbria yeh mean Carlisle? if so nowt much wrong wi that place, me son studied yon years ago n gained a masters at Reading 3 yrs later.
Old 26-10-2011, 13:31   #24
Full Member+

My sculptures are only 1ft high at the moment ☺
Reminds me of the "Stonehenge" scene from Spinal Tap!!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 15:17   #25
Give, give, give member

Well, good luck with your finals.

I did my degree in art at Liverpool.

Way back last century.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 15:23   #26
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnart View Post
Thankyou all for your great replies ☺

MargaretR - Thanks for the links, they are really useful, ☺ already in my research folder ☺

Tealeaf - Don’t worry, I won’t be sticking any huge awful abstract style sculpture up there, that would ruin it! My sculptures are only 1ft high at the moment ☺
They will not be an eyesore I assure you, you’ll have to find them 1st :P They are made of wood from the coppice (fallen trees, I will only use fallen trees, I won’t cut anything down ☺ ) to make them blend into the landscape better.

I will put a picture up soon of what they will look like, but the best description I can give of them/how I make them at the moment is that they are long slithers of wood, layered on top of each other. Then a template laid on the side to cut around (currently of my grandma and grandad until I get more photos of people on the coppice) so what is left is a shilouette.

I am making it out of fallen wood because I’d like to give the wood a last spark of life (seen as it is going to rot anyway) in the form of a memory sculpture, that will eventually rot back into the coppice.
I am aiming to make them look as natural as possible, only wood, no metal/plastic etc. Although I have considered using Accrington brick but that would be hard to use and just complicate things…

Garinda - I agree, it is very very windy up there, which is taken into account of my sculptures. I may place a block of wood underneath the sculptures (attached to them), then place that block in the ground and cover it up with leaves/debris , so it looks like it ‘grew’ there, and not just been plonked there. This will also act as an anchor and stop it from being blown over (which I doubt it will be, as it is only 1 ft high)

I’m studying at the university of Cumbria (I know, a failing uni ☹ My course is one that has been run out since my 1st year, which means there is only us 3rd years here, they haven’t taken any other students onto the course. And half our tutors have gone ☹ anyway, that’s another story)

Accyman - I’d probably see off someone who wanted to put a spaceship up there too :S what were they thinking :S

Claytonx - That sounds interesting, do you have any more information on that? Or know if any photographs were taken of it?

Katex - I have considered that ☺ I have got plans on what types of scenes my sculptures could be in, including a little boy playing on the roof (my dad when he was younger! 40years ago :P )Thanks for your scenes though, very useful. Oh and yes I am female ☺
I could not remember the exact date so i emailed Accy library and they came back with all the information which i stored on the laptop which broke down was repaired at some cost and everything was deleted,so i would suggest go into the library and enquire.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 19:55   #27

This is an absolutely awful photo, taken on my phone because my camera batteries went flat , but! Just to show you how small they are (at the moment, may get bigger but not huge!) Also if anyone walks up there and sees it, please feel free to tell me what you think of it on here

Bear in mind, this is the 1st one I have put up, so no doubt the quality of it/procedure of making it will get better and I have already made some decisions on changing it.
For example, I don't like the sides being as clean as they are, they stand out too much, but, they may darken due to the weather., but I don't know how long this may take.
The base it is on is far too shallow, it was still wobbling a bit when was stomping down the ground around it :S So i will need to make a deeper base to go into the ground.
I know dogs will pee on it :/...... oh well, all part of it rotting down eh....
Old 02-11-2011, 20:13   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Whats n awful photo? we can't see nowt.
Old 02-11-2011, 20:20   #29
Resting in Peace

It's not coming up, Sonnart. If you are having trouble contact Neil or Mick, they will help you uploading a 'photo.

There are threads on this :
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ite-24482.html

However, they are always anxious to please ..LOL.

Am looking forward to seeing your work..x
Old 02-11-2011, 20:33   #30

http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...e=11377&size=1

That better? I'm not good with these things till I used them a few times :S

Don't get excited haha, you can hardly see it, But I will upload some better photos soon, and some of them being made

Tags
coppice, local, memories, photos, sculpture

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..