Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 22:04   #16

Re: Managing Depression - Any Advice????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Please, don't suddenly become an expert when you couldn't even understand the simplistic explanation that Westender put on.

I was only confused because the explanation was incorrect, hey im no expert but have some knowledge in this field.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-06-2009, 22:17   #17
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
After one month of symptoms clinical depression would be diagnosed ie its a reactive depression.Most depression is not due to a chemical imbalance or genetic factors low serotonin levels are a result not a cause of depression, This is a misunderstanding is also the reason why drugs for depression miss the point and treat the symptoms instead of the cause.

If you read my first post properly you will see I said I was depressed for 6 months. My doctor did not diagnose clinical depression after one month and he did not prescribe any medication. I was offered bereavement counselling but declined it. I knew, just like my doctor did, what the problem was and even though I didn't want to believe it at the time I knew, deep down, that I was going to get over it eventually.

You then go on, more or less, to paraphrase what I said about medical intervention - not to say the whole reason for my posting at all. I was trying to point out that not all forms of depression are clinical and need chemical remedies.
Old 02-06-2009, 22:27   #18
Member.

Seek professional advice and join a local NHS supported self help group, your far from being on your own, but its worth remembering that all forms of depression are as individual as we are and one cure won't serve all, a starting point is to come to terms with yourself, don't get to involved with other peoples experiance unless you can talk to them face to face. god bless and I hope you find a resolve to you situation.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 22:30   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Seek professional advice and join a local NHS supported self help group, your far from being on your own, but its worth remembering that all forms of depression are as individual as we are and one cure won't serve all, a starting point is to come to terms with yourself, don't get to involved with other peoples experiance unless you can talk to them face to face. god bless and I hope you find a resolve to you situation.
I'll agree with that, ignore the dangers of, "I've had experience", 'amateur experts'.

They mean well but will probably do more harm than good.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 22:31   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
If you read my first post properly you will see I said I was depressed for 6 months. My doctor did not diagnose clinical depression after one month and he did not prescribe any medication. I was offered bereavement counselling but declined it. I knew, just like my doctor did, what the problem was and even though I didn't want to believe it at the time I knew, deep down, that I was going to get over it eventually.

You then go on, more or less, to paraphrase what I said about medical intervention - not to say the whole reason for my posting at all. I was trying to point out that not all forms of depression are clinical and need chemical remedies.
Point taken and i guess as in not aware of your symptoms cant really say however bereavement and divorce are just two of the causes of clinical depression and you only have to have three out of the ten symptoms to diagnose clinical depression feeling low in mood, sleep pattern changes lack of appetite,and you would then be diagnosed as clinically depressed most people although not all would have these factors after such events in their lives some people are fortunate and soon recover however others take years as this can then turn from clinical depression into a long term adjustment disorder.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 22:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
Point taken and i guess as in not aware of your symptoms cant really say
Not only can't really say but shouldn't even hazard a guess, there are proper channels and proper professionals for this kind of very personal illness.
Old 02-06-2009, 22:39   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Not only can't really say but shouldn't even hazard a guess, there are proper channels and proper professionals for this kind of very personal illness.

Exactly. Just what I said in para 2 of my first post.
Old 02-06-2009, 22:44   #23

Ok your depressed, sorry to hear it. Bottom line is STOP now. The internet aint got the answers to your problems.TAKE A MOMENT AND CHILLAX (CHILL & RELAX)

1)You got problems, seek professional help. That is why they are there.

2)£20k to send to a charity...get help, get better, get on with your life and then invest the money in those services that have helped you.

Get on with YOUR life, and keep your chin up.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 22:50   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJH View Post
Over the last 2 years ive suffered from depression, i have never faced upto it but now i have too, iam trying to have a relationship and rebuild myself after a terrible divorce and my company collasping.

Does anyone have any advice on to how manage depression? are there help groups or is my only option to go to the doctors and start medication.

I handed my shotgun licence in the moment i started to feel very depressed.

Any advice would be great, thankyou.
you feel depressd..you handed in your licence but did you hand in your shotgun?...next thing is you want to leave loads of money to charity... I can believe you are depressed but seems to me you are looking for someone who can sort you out... best way is to go private if you got money!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 23:22   #25
God Member

I echo what has been said already about seeking medical help as soon as possible for a more precise diagnosis, I think its also very brave to come on here and open up about it.

I would think that is taking the first step to recovery.(as with drink , drugs, gambling etc)

Being able to openly express how you are feeling on an open forum is a very brave thing to do. and I think that you sound desperate to get yourself back on track as opposed sitting back and feeling sorry for yourself.

I for one have full admiration for you and think you should get yourself off to the docs asap .
Good luck and I am looking foward to reading the post that tells us that life is beginnig to look much brighter.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 00:13   #26

Just to let you know TJH, you aren't on your own it does happen to others and there is help out there if you go to the right people and ignore the amateurs.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...-to-30900.html

If you notice the date that was a couple of years ago, fortunately I don't feel anywhere near as bad now.

Last edited by Less; 03-06-2009 at 00:17.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:55   #27

Some things about depression:

There isn't an answer on how to cure depression.

There is no regulatory body for professional psychologists. You yourself could set up shop as one tomorrow if you so pleased.

Every single theory to do with the cause/cure of depression can be disproved.

The basis of many of the major psychological theories are laughable.

However it is all about what works for the individual, so don't listen to anyone suggesting you shouldn't try treatment x because it doesn't work. It doesn't matter if it doesn't work for 99% of people, if you are in the 1% you are clear, happy, free and how good would that be ?

Some psychologists believe that all we are are chemicals and hormones, which may be true. In which case load up on pills to sort out that and you're fine.

There is the danger however that doctors can tend to dispense the pills to cover up the problem rather than fix it.

Others believe it's more about the mind(whatever that is) and this could just as equally be true. In which case you could do with seeing a psychologist. If you are going to, do your research and get one who is qualified with a degree from a decent uni. I'd advise going for a cognitive psychologist, and avoiding anyone who follows the psychodynamic approach. That is of course just my opinion and as I said you should ignore opinion

One thing I really strongly recommend no matter what path you choose is exercise. A good work out relieves stress and releases a good dose of the chemical into your brain that makes you feel good after sex, smoking weed or eating chocolate. The making and achieving of goals gives your life structure and achievement. As such exercise covers both the biological and cognitive approaches - guaranteed success !

If it helps, look at the stars on a clear night sky, think about how big the universe is and how small you really are. What's the point of worrying when you are so small ? Relax and enjoy life - why not ?

Good luck pal, if you do do some research and end up struggling with some of the concepts give me a shout
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:32   #28
God Member

The one piece of advice I would give on the subject is just don't go searching for something to become reliant upon; whether that be a medication or some sort of CBT. Medication is extremely trial and error with regards to its success, and CBT can be largely ineffective depending on your personal worldview. Coming around full circle, at the end of it all finding sense in a purer principle of 'keep busy and stop dwelling' has been the best possible situation to find myself in. I don't want to publish my somewhat colourful medical record on AccyWeb, so if the thread starter (or indeed anyone in the same boat) would like to chat more in depth, feel free to send a message.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:03   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Your absolutely spot on there Less, no two cases are the same, professional help is essential with depression probable more than any other disorder, not to be taken lightly
Old 03-06-2009, 15:18   #30
TJH

Thanks to everyone who replied to the post. Currently seeking advice from my doctor and just keeping myself busy.

The charity money is not a final good bye , just wanting to spread around some good will.

As for the shotgun, when you hand in your licence, your gun goes too.

Thanks again and ill keep posting as this is a friendly forum when approached in the right way.
TJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..