Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2016, 09:02   #1

Martholme viaduct path update

Hi, has anyone got any information as to where we are at with the path across Martholme viaduct, I am writing an article on it for Hyndburn

Regards,Geoff.

Last edited by Mick; 16-12-2016 at 05:40.
hyndburnblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-12-2016, 11:03   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Martholme viaduct path update

I suggest you contact the owner of the adjacent land on the Padiham side of the viaduct, Mr Phillip Hanson (or Richard Hanson who is on Read Council) at Dunkirk Farm Read.
He has owned the old railway track bed since about 1970 and it cuts through his property and caravan park.
Old 15-12-2016, 08:14   #3

Hi, thanks, I have contacted the Caravan site owner, The Read council site seems to be down at the moment!

Regards,Geoff.
hyndburnblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 11:03   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyndburnblog View Post
Hi, has anyone got any information as to where we are at with the path across Martholme viaduct, I am writing an article on it for Hyndburn

Regards,Geoff.
Yes,I was informed that due to maintenance costs,it'll never be reopened.
If you wish to contact the caravan park you could try emailing them:-

[email protected]

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 17:41   #5
Senior Member+

I'm a very good friend of the Hanson family and ran the caravan park for 11 years.

Phillip Hanson will fight tooth and nail to keep the path through his land from becoming a public footpath.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 16-12-2016, 18:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I'm a very good friend of the Hanson family and ran the caravan park for 11 years.

Phillip Hanson will fight tooth and nail to keep the path through his land from becoming a public footpath.
Why?
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 18:08   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Why?
Would think thats rather obvious taddy? I would,as would most people,if twas our land.
Old 16-12-2016, 18:54   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Why?
Because people pay 40 or 50 thousand pounds to have a holiday home on the park with nice river views and some homes back up to the old track bed which is about roof height. They bought the homes on a promise of a quiet peaceful place to relax and they will be very upset when walkers come past staring down at them and maybe the odd drug runner on his scramble bike hurtles past. After all he has owned the line since about 1950 and spent a lot of money on the place. He also thinks that if he allows the path to come through his land and people have their peace disturbed they may sue him for false representation after promising a peaceful place to stay.

That a picture to see what the path is like now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0483.jpg (519.6 KB, 23 views)
Accyexplorer likes this.

Last edited by Gremlin; 16-12-2016 at 18:56.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 18:54   #9

Understandable! but, if there has been a long standing right of way through the property then the right of way should be upheld no matter who/whom now owns the land.
Old 16-12-2016, 18:59   #10
Senior Member+

I don't think the right of way extends to the old rail-track bed through the farm otherwise there wouldn't be a need for continuous action to try to get it open.
There wasn't a right of way when the rail company owned it and its had gates and signs saying private land for as long as I remember.

The right of way runs through the farm yard coming from Whalley road. Mr Hanson made gates and signs pointing it out years ago.
Old 16-12-2016, 19:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Because people pay 40 or 50 thousand pounds to have a holiday home on the park with nice river views and some homes back up to the old track bed which is about roof height. They bought the homes on a promise of a quiet peaceful place to relax and they will be very upset when walkers come past staring down at them and maybe the odd drug runner on his scramble bike hurtles past. After all he has owned the line since about 1950 and spent a lot of money on the place. He also thinks that if he allows the path to come through his land and people have their peace disturbed they may sue him for false representation after promising a peaceful place to stay.

That a picture to see what the path is like now.
This sounds very much like when a certain petrolhead known as J.Clarkson bought a lighthouse on the Isle of Man and then attempted to shut down a long standing footpath that ran alongside the property.

Are we going back to the day's of the Lords of the manor who have and the plebs who shall not have?
Old 16-12-2016, 19:09   #12

Like the photo by the way
Gremlin likes this.
Old 16-12-2016, 19:16   #13
Senior Member+

We will have to wait for the court hearing Taddy. There are a lot of other people on the Padiham side of the viaduct who own the section of the track bed at the bottom of their land plus Mr Gee who owns the old Simon station to use as his coal and wood business. They are all against selling their bit of land.
There are bridges to be rebuilt which the rail company dismantled when they closed the line. This argument has been going on for many years. 20 odd to my knowledge.
People do manage to get on to Mr Hansons land and attempt to pull down the signs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0470.jpg (523.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 16-12-2016, 19:59   #14
Senior Member+

Last time I spoke with Philip Hanson he assured me he wants no public right of way through his land.He said "people buy these homes as being peaceful and tranquil and I don't want that spoiling by having a public footpath running through it"....

...He may of changed his mind but I doubt it.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2016, 20:40   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Last time I spoke with Philip Hanson he assured me he wants no public right of way through his land.He said "people buy these homes as being peaceful and tranquil and I don't want that spoiling by having a public footpath running through it"....

...He may of changed his mind but I doubt it.
He has certainly not changed his mind Accyexplorer.
We had a drink together in Read Con two weeks ago and as usual the subject cropped up.
He's still adamant it won't happen while he's still around and Richard his son agrees.

Tags
great harwood paths, marthome viaduct, sustrans

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..