Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By claytonx
  • 1 Post By MargaretR

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 23:22   #1
Junior Member+

mitchells house reservoirs

hi all, would anyone possible have any information about an old coal mine under mitchells house reservoirs? especially if someone could point me in the right direction to view any possible map of the mine, or even just the name of the mine, thanks

Last edited by urban caveman; 06-04-2013 at 23:31.
urban caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29   #2
Senior Member+

Re: mitchells house reservoirs

There is a book by Jack Nadin which covers coal mines in our part of Lancashire. I cannot find my copy. However, I think it is likely to have been a non-commercial drift rather than a shaft, as locals tried to access a seam in order to get some fuel when times were hard through lack of work. Had it been a commercial concern, there should still be evidence of a rail track
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:13   #3
Junior Member+

hi bob, you may be right in saying that it was a non commercial drift as i have spent the last 2 days on the internet trying to find out any info about the mine with very little success. All i can find is a link on google books that talks about some problems with the reservoirs embankments partly due to subsidence of the mines below. Apparantly from what i read in that link mining was carried out under both reservoirs. The reason i ask is that i beleive i may have found an entry to this mine. A year ago myself and a friend found an over grown entrance, we followed the very tight tunnel which after a while branched off in 2 different directions, they seemed to be heading under each of the reservoirs, we didnt go all the way through though. It was only a couple of days ago that i stumbled across the link that informed me that there was a coal mine on the site.
Old 07-04-2013, 13:09   #4
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban caveman View Post
hi bob, you may be right in saying that it was a non commercial drift as i have spent the last 2 days on the internet trying to find out any info about the mine with very little success. All i can find is a link on google books that talks about some problems with the reservoirs embankments partly due to subsidence of the mines below. Apparantly from what i read in that link mining was carried out under both reservoirs. The reason i ask is that i beleive i may have found an entry to this mine. A year ago myself and a friend found an over grown entrance, we followed the very tight tunnel which after a while branched off in 2 different directions, they seemed to be heading under each of the reservoirs, we didnt go all the way through though. It was only a couple of days ago that i stumbled across the link that informed me that there was a coal mine on the site.
I should have thought the entrance to the mine would have started quite a way from the reservoirs and be gradually slopping downwards as the Google page states the workings were in the lower mountain seam 70 meters down. Maybe under the reservoirs it is only just a part of the mine which could be a lot larger as it was open from 1886 to 1905.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 16:08   #5
Senior Member+

For the unititiated, in this part of the world there is an Upper Mountain and a Lower Mountain seam They are between 24 and 36inches in height. I don't know enough about them to say more. We are running out of lads who worked in our pits who could tell us more.
Old 07-04-2013, 18:09   #6
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
For the unititiated, in this part of the world there is an Upper Mountain and a Lower Mountain seam They are between 24 and 36inches in height. I don't know enough about them to say more. We are running out of lads who worked in our pits who could tell us more.
I was a shift mechanic at Huncoat Pit were the upper mountain seam was worked as you say Bob about maximum coal height between floor and roof 37 inches. The lower mountain had been worked out I am talking 1950. Huncoat mechanics also covered Calder Pit on shifts they had a permanent day mechanic, I have been to a 12 inch high coal cutter fast between roof and floor so as you see seams do not always stay the same height. I think the height of the seam spelt the end for the pit.
I was promoted to area mechanisation staff covering all pits in this area and found some seams where you could nearly stand up straight 5ft 8ins these were The Union seam at Hill Top Bacup and Deerply Colliery going over to Bacup
I think I am right in saying Bank Hall had the Arley, Dandy, Upper and Lower Mountain and the Union seam,
Bob Dobson and wadey like this.
Old 10-04-2013, 22:40   #7
Junior Member+

claytonx have you ever known of a filter system of some kind for water that is draining freely from a mine through an adit or similar? the entrance i was in had water flowing out of it which went through some kind of filter system before entering a near by brook. it was a big metal box so to speak with the water entering at the top and draining around half way down. the water draining from the entrance was orange from iron discolouration but clear when it left the filter. if not a mine has anyone any other ideas what it could possibly be? thanks
Old 11-04-2013, 08:34   #8
Senior Member+

UC - suggest sending a letter to United Utilities. There was a book published about Accrington Corporation Waterworks. I cannot find my copy.
Old 11-04-2013, 15:46   #9
Junior Member+

thanks bob, i hadn't thought of that, do you think they would answer my querie though, i feel they may just tell me that its out of bounds and that i have no need to know, but i will give it a try though.
Old 11-04-2013, 17:44   #10
Rest in Peace

I should have thought the water could be seeping through from the reservoir above, possibly going through strata that would colour the water and Utilities having to filter it before allowing it to go into local streams. If it was a drift mine there is no need for a Audit or any other tunnel, as you would only need them in a mine with a shaft. The coal would be taken out at the top of the shaft and materials ie props, girders, timber taken through the Audit, tunnel about 20 ft lower down the shaft, we call it the material level.
Old 11-04-2013, 19:47   #11
Junior Member+

thanks mate, from the sounds of it this tunnel cant be part of the mine then as it is sloping upwards rather than down and i presume a shaft would only be used for deeper mines? i think another trip up there is on the cards, will have to follow it as far as i can and see whats there, cheers
Old 12-04-2013, 08:24   #12
Senior Member+

Cave, Caveman. - a bit of Latin for you to ponder over before you go. If you do get back, open a bottle of cava. (Latin, English and Spanish within two lines - magnifique)
Old 12-04-2013, 13:35   #13
God Member

wouldnt the mine be listed at the council somewhere.Im sure they must have a list of all mines because when you get a mortgage you have to have a mine seach survey done.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 14:16   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
wouldnt the mine be listed at the council somewhere.Im sure they must have a list of all mines because when you get a mortgage you have to have a mine seach survey done.
Coal mining in Lancs began in Roman times and continued through the centuries since, so there are bound to be mines where no record exists.

I knew a potholing enthusiast a while back, who was part of a group attempting to chart them. I doubt that anyone will ever find them all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancashire_Coalfield
urban caveman likes this.

Last edited by MargaretR; 12-04-2013 at 14:17. Reason: link
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 16:16   #15
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Coal mining in Lancs began in Roman times and continued through the centuries since, so there are bound to be mines where no record exists.

I knew a potholing enthusiast a while back, who was part of a group attempting to chart them. I doubt that anyone will ever find them all.

Lancashire Coalfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Surprise from the list you mention I have counted eight collieries that were in Oswaldtwistle and ten in Accrington never realised there had been so many.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..