Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2004, 08:23   #1
God Member

More Odd Questions

A freind of mine, (yes, I do have some) and I were chewing the fat the other day and were moved to wonder why the Ladybird is so named, given that only 50 percent of them are ladies and none of them are birds.

The other question is a bit more personal. Following the Heart Attack,(I'm of that age and I do try to keep up with the fashions) I noticed that a few weeks later I had developed groves running across the finger nails of my left hand. Does anyone know if there is any connection between the two events? I would ask my GP, but as usual he is off on holiday and to be honest I wouldn't trust anything he says anyway. I have the suspicion that he drinks. Enough said!
Old 15-08-2004, 09:48   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: More Odd Questions

Flipin eck AB, you don't half ask some killer questions. I can't help you on the ladybird thing but may be able to help with the fingernail jobby.

Your fingernails and toenails are a continuation of your normal epidermis (skin surface) when you look closely at your skin surface you will see that it is a series of ridges (very obvious on your hands) The nail bed, which is the skin underneath your nail contains the same ridges/grooves. The nail grows from the nail bed and therefore continues the pattern. I never really noticed the ridges on my nails, but as the years go by I am noticing them more and more. My theory is that as you mature and your skin loses elasticity, your skin grooves become more noticeable (wrinkles if you prefer) The nail bed is no different than the rest of your skin therefore having a knock on effect on your nails.
Some cases of severe anaemia would affect your nails, making them pale with a spoon-like indentation, but this is pretty rare.

Hope this helps.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 23:22   #3
Resident Waffler

Grooves running horizontally across the nails are supposed to be indications of poor health. If you just have one horizontal groove on each nail then it could be that at the time of your heart attack blood supply to the nail bed was interrupted and therefore the development of the nail was interfered with at that time. Odd that it is only your left hand though.

My mother had grooves running vertically down her nails as she got older and although they were very thick nails they were also quite brittle. So far mine seem to be smooth and normal apart from the fact that some opf my half moons aren't there at all.

Off to see if I can find out anything about ladybirds now.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 05:28   #4
God Member

Hmm, interesting. I only have moons on the thumb and index finger of my left hand and none at all on my right hand apart from the thumb. What does this mean?
Old 16-08-2004, 09:42   #5
Resident Waffler

I have a little bit visible on most fingers except the little fingers. The ones on my thumbs are more evident. Intriguing. Maybe someone has an answer.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 10:12   #6
God Member

just found this

Doctors say our fingernails hold not-so-hidden clues to our overall health, as well as warning signs for several serious illnesses.

Take a moment to look at your fingernails carefully. Are they brittle or peeling? Do you see any ridges or discolored areas? Have you noticed any recent changes in their appearance or strength? Doctors say even small changes could signal a major problem. The trick is knowing what to look for.

Some changes may indicate a fungal infection. “A discoloration in one or several nails. There can be lifting of the end of the nail away from the nail bed, and even maybe a thickening of the nail bed,” says Dr. Louise Martin, a Providence Hospital dermatologist.

Fungus is responsible for about half of all nail problems.

Who’s most at risk? People who have their hands in water a lot or wear artificial fingernails. Once the infection takes hold, it can persist indefinitely if not treated with medication or a topical cream.

Brittle or slow-growing nails are another frequent complaint at Martin’s Novi and Warren offices. Dehydration often is the cause. “People forget that the nails need moisture and hydration like your skin and the rest of your body,” Martin says.

To get your nails back on track, Martin recommends applying a heavy hand cream or petroleum jelly before bed. If that doesn’t help, head for the doctor’s office. Brittle nails also can be a symptom of a vitamin deficiency or other serious problems.

Color and shape are also important. A dark brown or black streak in one nail could be a sign of cancer. “That needs to be examined by a dermatologist, because it could potentially be melanoma,” Martin warns.

Yellow or green nails are also a red flag. There’s a condition called yellow nail syndrome often caused by respiratory problems, such as chronic bronchitis. In addition to turning an unattractive shade of yellowish green, nails will thicken and grow slowly.

You also occasionally may notice small white spots in your nails. Martin says these are usually caused by trauma to the nail, “or the nail may just be a little weak in that area.” The spots should grow out as the nail grows.

Changes in nail shape are also important. So-called club nails occur when the tips curve down and around your fingertips. Doctors say low oxygen levels in your blood may be to blame, and lung or heart disease may be the underlying cause. Nails that sink in the middle and curve up on the edges like a spoon could be a sign of a serious iron deficiency. Small depressions or pits in the nail may be a symptom of several skin conditions, including psoriasis. Thyroid problems, liver disease, and kidney failure can cause a wide range of changes in your nails, as well.

Over time, you also may notice changes in the nail surface. Vertical lines or ridges may occur naturally as you get older, Martin says. The exact cause isn’t clear, but heredity seems to play a role. Horizontal lines or grooves may be a sign of malnutrition or some sort of injury.

While changes in your fingernails don’t necessarily mean you’re sick, they’re a clue something could be going on. If you have a persistent nail problem, make an appointment with your doctor and get it checked out. Then give yourself a hand for keeping an eye on your health!

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 15:00   #7
God Member

So it seems that the horizontal groove in my nails could well be a response to the heart attack. Fascinating. Thanks for that everyone.

Now, what about Ladybirds?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..