Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2014, 15:21   #1
Full Member+

Mr Gleave

I ve just read in todays Lancashire telegraph that a Colin Gleave has died aged 75yrs . I am sure Mr Gleave who taught at Peel Park School had a son called Colin. Anyone know if this is the same person ?
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-10-2014, 20:36   #2

Re: Mr Gleave

Must be same person,the same age as me 75.I was with Colin at Peel Park and the Grammar school,but have lost touch since then.Great guy RIP.Also remember well Mr Gleave at Peel Park,his favorite punishment for the lads was to bend over and get wacked on the backside with a PT pump.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 20:52   #3
Full Member+

Thanks for that TubbyLes. I thought it would be about the right age as I knew he was older than me. I can vouch that Mr Gleave just used his flat hand on girls. I think he was the most wonderful teacher ever.
.RIP Colin
Old 30-10-2014, 00:11   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyLes View Post
Must be same person,the same age as me 75.I was with Colin at Peel Park and the Grammar school,but have lost touch since then.Great guy RIP.Also remember well Mr Gleave at Peel Park,his favorite punishment for the lads was to bend over and get wacked on the backside with a PT pump.
You are right Les, he was definitely in our year at AGS, one of the few that I can recognise on the School Photographs.
Old 30-10-2014, 09:18   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyLes View Post
"Standing on the line" that strange punishment where you stood on the crack on the hall floor. I think you were supposed to reflect on your crime and miss playtime, all I ever did was daydream as I looked at the plaques of various people up on the wall.
Yes Mr Gleave what a great teacher but could never understand his obsession with spelling parallel correctly, it was always the last word on our Friday spelling test?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 10:17   #6
Beacon of light

I remember Mr Gleave too......he was the teacher of Class 1......Miss Butterworth, was class 2........and Mr Heaton class three....the under achievers. I was in class 3.
I remember the punishment of standing on the line too...but I think I only experienced it once when the whole class was punished when someone did something and would not own up to it.
Happy Days....long gone!
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 14:40   #7
Full Member+

I was in Mr Gleave's class. I remember spelling immediately and necessary wrong a couple of times so had to write both words out 500 times. It worked ha ha I have never forgotten how to spell them since. When I was in Class 1 Mrs Maden had class 2 and think Mrs Becker had class 3 or 4 . I know I was in her class twice. Once the first class in the Juniors and then again later. The first time I was physically sick every morning. She frightened the life out of me. She certainly didn't like my face as I was always in lumber with her. Ofcourse those days it was no good going home and complaining about a teacher because most parents would have said 'You must have been doing something wrong to be in trouble.' and been in even more with the parents then. I remember taking Mr Gleave's cup of tea into the yard for him when he was on playground duty. The cup and saucer were green. Daft what you recall.
Old 30-10-2014, 17:50   #8
Beacon of light

I remember Mrs Becker, but never had the dubious pleasure of being taught by her.
Old 30-10-2014, 19:12   #9
Full Member+

are nt you the lucky one ? Her glasses alone frightened the living daylights out of me at 7years old.She always wore a very strong perfume which I didn't like. No idea what it was.
Old 30-10-2014, 19:13   #10
Beacon of light

Yes...they were Robertsons glasses (jam jar bottoms).
Old 30-10-2014, 20:16   #11
Senior Member+

It MUST have been Evening in Paris. There was little else in the 50s.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 20:24   #12
Beacon of light

It could have been Californian Poppy, or Phul Nana!
Old 30-10-2014, 21:18   #13
Full Member+

definitely not Evening in Paris. My mum had that.( Little blue bottle if I remember rightly. )and not Californian Poppy either much too heavy for either of those.
Old 30-10-2014, 21:29   #14
Senior Member+

I hasten to add that I didn't use either of these.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 00:09   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
definitely not Evening in Paris. My mum had that.( Little blue bottle if I remember rightly. )and not Californian Poppy either much too heavy for either of those.
Could it have been Devon Violets?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..