Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2007, 18:48   #1
Junior Member+

Myrtle House

Does anyone know if the Myrtle House which is a doctors' practice (154 Blackburn Road) is likely to have been around in 1865? It is where my great-grandmother was living at the time of her marriage. Any info about it gratefully received.
cmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2007, 10:09   #2
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Myrtle House

there is a map of 1890 here............http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environ...cc/acceast.jpg
shows you streets and stuff, sorry but no map of 1865,

you have to click the bottom right corner of pic to enlarge!
Old 22-02-2007, 17:32   #3
Junior Member+

Thanks for the map reference, Panther. Trouble is, I don't know where to look for 154 Blackburn Road! I don't know Accrington very well, in fact hardly at all. I was hoping someone might know the doctor's surgery (I found the address by putting "Myrtle House" into Google) and could tell me if it looked as if it might have been a private house which existed in 1865. Are there any photos of it???
Old 22-02-2007, 17:56   #4
God Member

yes it is an old building and does look as though it has been a house at one time, there is an upstairs to it, its quite a big house actually,and i think its the oldest on that block, my mum used to work for the doctors about 20 years ago, i'm sure if you email dr dixon and dr manual they will be happy to give you all the feedback you need, they are nice blokes hope it helps a little
Old 23-02-2007, 09:09   #5
Junior Member+

Thank you - perhaps I'll come over Accy-way and have a look!
Old 24-02-2007, 12:47   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Myrtle House is on the right side of Blackburn Road when heading for Church between Oxford Street and Fredrick Street. Next door is an amusement arcade which used to be the Coop painters (152) and plumbers (150) and a also a private house (148). I lived in that private house in the early fifties. Myrtle House was Dr Devlin’s surgery.

The picture was taken in July 1953 and it shows my brother in shirt sleeves with Jim Laycock sat on the wall in front of the house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0090.jpg (82.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 25-02-2007, 18:31   #7
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Myrtle House

Many thanks JamButty, now I shall know exactly where to look - and I love the photo!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..