Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 11:39   #1
God Member

Mysterious Private Number Phone Calls?

Yesterday, and today, I've been getting calls from private numbers. It happens about 3 times in a row. Today the first phone call once answered was silent. The second phone call once answered was 'ringing' as if it was me ringing another number. The third phone call once answered was an answer phone of somebody saying leave a message after the tone.

Now Blazey just called me and I spoke to her fine. Then she got a phone call the same as my third, a voicemail, so was saying 'Hello hello'. I immediately get a text from o2 saying I have voicemail in my inbox, and its Blazey saying 'Hello hello'.

What the heck is going on? I mention the Blazey bit because its strange, but up until then she had not called me.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:52   #2

Re: Mysterious Private Number Phone Calls?

Think if i was you i would contact BT and have them check your line,other than that have you the option of checking your bill online? if so check your calls and see that no one has been playing adding one of those 0909 numbers that ring you and you end up paying the earth
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:55   #3
God Member

Oh dear. This sounds a bit like fatal attraction. Blazey must have the hots for you. My only suggestion is if you have any bunny rabbits, you keep 'em locked up, otherwise you might get home one day only to find rabbit stew boiling away on your stove.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 09-01-2009 at 11:59.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:57   #4
God Member

My phone is ringing, and then when I pick it up I hear the tone like it is dialing and then he picks up... and he thinks I've rang him :/

If I don't pick up I get silent answer phone messages.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 13:06   #5

That is weird because that has just happened to me in the office..
Old 09-01-2009, 13:29   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

very weird last couple of days i have had 4 missed calls,but on my mobile, thing is though "NO NUMBER"
Old 09-01-2009, 15:16   #7

It happens an awful lot. I get a spate of it every year in early December, after using one of the market comparison sites for my car insurance.

When you get a silent caller or one that hangs up, if you can get a number using caller display or 1471, search for it on the internet. Often you can find out which company is doing the cold calling. (I know Andrew said his call was from a private number, but it's worth mentioning.)

Call centres don't want their operatives listening to a ringing tone- it's "inefficient". So they have software that rings the numbers on the list and puts the resulting call through to the first available drone. Unfortunately, as with most "intelligent solutions" the result isn't very friendly. If the computer decides to ring you because statistically there's a good likelihood one of the drones will have finished their call by the time you've answered, and they don't finish, you pick up the phone and nobody is ready to talk to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly_45 View Post
Think if i was you i would contact BT and have them check your line,other than that have you the option of checking your bill online? if so check your calls and see that no one has been playing adding one of those 0909 numbers that ring you and you end up paying the earth
As far as I'm aware, you can't be charged for answering the phone. You can be charged for certain inbound services, particularly text messages, but you need to sign up to them.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 16:15   #8
Senior Member+

Had a few of these myself.

Most recent recieved call, but silent line when answered was - 00919769230227.

Any one want to ring it and let me know who it is.
Old 09-01-2009, 16:22   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post

Wouldn't be surprised if you rang it if you got a big buck Nigerian saying GIVE ME YOUR MONEY PUNK
Old 09-01-2009, 16:33   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post

0091 is the code for India, that should narrow it down for you
Old 09-01-2009, 16:41   #11
God Member

I got a call form an 0845 number today that was just silent on answer. Probably a 'courtesy call' from 'Nigel' ...in Calcutta.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 16:51   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post

When you get a silent caller or one that hangs up, if you can get a number using caller display or 1471, search for it on the internet. but you need to sign up to them.

Are you saying there is a number reversal service Studio .. have searched before, but didn't think was available to U.K. users ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I got a call form an 0845 number today that was just silent on answer. Probably a 'courtesy call' from 'Nigel' ...in Calcutta.
Is this Nigel then ?

BBC NEWS | England | Hampshire | Call handler sent amorous texts
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 17:15   #13
Resting in Peace

I have no problems,lots of love Billy

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 21:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Are you saying there is a number reversal service Studio .. have searched before...
Not specifically - there are a variety of databases online such as whocallsme.com - Don't search any one in particular, just bung the number in google. The number that was spamming me (08445610850) with no-one at the other end is on a lot of databases, but it takes a fair bit of looking through the results to find one where anyone has an answer to who owns that number.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 21:51   #15
God Member

I had one that kept calling me and there was never anyone there when i picked the phone up. turned out to be talk talk, we have on about hug them and never had, phoned them and asked where they got my number from, couldn't tell me, told em i was registered with TPS and if i got another call off them they would be reported, never had one since off em
Posted via Mobile Device
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..