Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2005, 23:54   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Napoleon Street

I've just had a look at the maps on the website and noticed that there was a racecourse where Atlas Street now is. I never knew that.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2005, 22:15   #17
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I've just had a look at the maps on the website and noticed that there was a racecourse where Atlas Street now is. I never knew that.
I hadn't seen that and thought you must mean the cricket club but no it says race course, I wonder what type it was?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 22:17   #18
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Looking at it again it could be on the site that is now Enfield Cricket Club.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 17:06   #19

which street did you live in margaret i lived in victor street
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 19:07   #20
Beacon of light

I have just looked at the site with the maps on.....it is fascinating.......even managed to get the ol feller to come and have a look!
When I first moved to Clayton in 1966 I lived in Henry St (long row), but moved into Maple St in 1968. Clayton has changed so much in the time that I have been here.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 19:09   #21
Beacon of light

I am going to send this website address to my sister in law in Australia......I'm sure she will be interested. I was going to do a really silly thing.......was going to print the map off and post it to her!!!!!!! DOH! what a dummy I am.
Old 10-02-2005, 20:24   #22
Full Member+

Talking Re: Napoleon Street

Where in Henry Street did you live? It seems most of my relations lived in most of the properties at the turn of the century!
Old 10-02-2005, 20:28   #23
Beacon of light

My husband and his family lived at 15 Henry St...... this was round about 1963.....then he went out to Oz and came back in 1966 and moved into number 3 Henry St......we shared that house with his mum for a few months after we got married while we decorated the house in Maple St that we still live in now.
Old 26-06-2012, 19:21   #24
Resting In Peace

Hope it's OK to revive this ancient thread rather than start a new one on the same subject. I spent a large part of today looking at old maps of Clayton for Mack on another thread about shops in Whalley road. Noticed on the 1890 map that Whalley Road from the Greyhound to the Hare and Hounds was called Napoleon Street. No name is mentioned from there to the canal bridge but after the canal bridge the road is called Enfield Street. However the canal bridge is marked as Whalley Road Bridge and on the canal side is Whalley Road Wharf!

The name must have changed by the time of the directory in which I found the entry for the shop I was looking for, between the Volunteer and the Albion, listed as 233 Whalley Road, which it still is today. However I can't find out the directory date without spending money on the Ancestry website!

What I did find out just now, looking through some family history info I collated years ago, is that my great aunt Florrie, the first of my great grandad's six children, was born at 99 Napoleon Street in 1889. They had moved on by the time the next child arrived, but I thought the street name rang a vague bell!
Old 26-06-2012, 19:51   #25
Resting In Peace

Forgot to mention in my last post that what is now Blackburn Road, Clayton, was on the 1890 map as Anglesea (sic) Street. The title of Marquess of Anglesey (again sic) was created after the battle of Waterloo for the second Earl of Uxbridge, who lost his leg in the battle . So that ties in with Napoleon Street. Will have to look for a Wellington Street!

Last edited by susie123; 26-06-2012 at 19:56.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 20:08   #26
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Forgot to mention in my last post that what is now Blackburn Road, Clayton, was on the 1890 map as Anglesea (sic) Street. The title of Marquess of Anglesey (again sic) was created after the battle of Waterloo for the second Earl of Uxbridge, who lost his leg in the battle . So that ties in with Napoleon Street. Will have to look for a Wellington Street!
Just over the canal on the same side as the shops.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 20:12   #27
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Just over the canal on the same side as the shops.
So it is Roy - hadn't even got round to looking at the map! Thanks.
Old 26-06-2012, 21:06   #28
Resident Waffler

Quote:
However I can't find out the directory date without spending money on the Ancestry website!

Is that ancestry.com? I'm a member and if there's anything I can do to help just let me know. I'm not very familiar with my way round it yet so you may need to give me a few clues.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 21:09   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Nice to see yeh about willow, have missed yeh.
Old 26-06-2012, 21:24   #30
Rest in Peace

Quote:
So it is Roy - hadn't even got round to looking at the map! Thanks.
The first one is Victoria st,commonly known by old Claytoners as the Pump,don't ask me why.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..