Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2012, 21:46   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Napoleon Street

I wonder just when the Napoleon St name came into being. This road was a turnpike and probably did not have a name such as we know when the turnpike was laid down ( although it probably was along the line of an existing road) It would be unusual for the name of an enemy to be used as a street name, and it is not surprising that it was changed to something else.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-06-2012, 21:47   #32
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post

Is that ancestry.com? I'm a member and if there's anything I can do to help just let me know. I'm not very familiar with my way round it yet so you may need to give me a few clues.
Willow, that is a very kind offer. I have seen several of your old posts on here and wondered if you were still about. I was looking earlier today to see if I could identify a certain shop in Clayton and found the right name in a free directory search on Ancestry, together with an address in Whalley Road. When I looked it up on Streetview it turned out to be the right shop and tied in with an old photo.

However to find the date of the directory I would have had to pay, but thinking about it I don't think it would add anything much to what we have already found out. So I don't think I will need to make use of your services at the moment, but I hope you won't mind if I decide later that I woud ike to find out that information.

By the way did you know that I live in Morecambe? I believe you are very fond of the place.

Thanks again for taking an interest.
Old 27-06-2012, 03:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
The title of Marquess of Anglesey (again sic) was created after the battle of Waterloo for the second Earl of Uxbridge, who lost his leg in the battle .
This seems to be spelt correctly so why sic?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 08:18   #34
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
This seems to be spelt correctly so why sic?
Michael, the word sic has nothing to do with correctness. It means thus.

Added immediately after a quoted word or phrase it indicates "thus it was written" - the quoted words have been transcribed exactly as spelled or presented in the original source, complete with any erroneous spelling or other presentation. The usual purpose is to inform the reader that any errors or apparent errors in the transcribed material do not arise from transcription errors.

So as I was trying to point out that though the words were spelt differently they probably refer to the safe person, I was informing readers that I had not mistakenly transcribed either of the two words but had copied them down as they appear in the sources I used.
Old 27-06-2012, 08:55   #35
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I wonder just when the Napoleon St name came into being. This road was a turnpike and probably did not have a name such as we know when the turnpike was laid down ( although it probably was along the line of an existing road) It would be unusual for the name of an enemy to be used as a street name, and it is not surprising that it was changed to something else.
According to LCC the turnpike came into being in 1789 and as you say probably did not have a name as such. The need for a name arose only when houses were built along it and this was obviously after 1815 judging by this and the surrounding street names. The censuses would give a clue as to when the name was changed.
Old 27-06-2012, 09:11   #36
Resting In Peace

Quote:
According to LCC the turnpike came into being in 1789 and as you say probably did not have a name as such. The need for a name arose only when houses were built along it and this was obviously after 1815 judging by this and the surrounding street names. The censuses would give a clue as to when the name was changed.
On the 1845 map there are no houses at all along the road, just a few mills by the canal. It's marked Blackburn and Whalley Trust and there is a toll point at the end of Church Lane on the next corner to the Greyhound.
Old 27-06-2012, 11:14   #37

Quote:
Michael, the word sic has nothing to do with correctness. It means thus.

Added immediately after a quoted word or phrase it indicates "thus it was written" - the quoted words have been transcribed exactly as spelled or presented in the original source, complete with any erroneous spelling or other presentation. The usual purpose is to inform the reader that any errors or apparent errors in the transcribed material do not arise from transcription errors.

So as I was trying to point out that though the words were spelt differently they probably refer to the safe person, I was informing readers that I had not mistakenly transcribed either of the two words but had copied them down as they appear in the sources I used.
I am fully aware of the meaning of sic and its usage.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 11:19   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The censuses would give a clue as to when the name was changed.
The only clue I can find is in Andrea Davies's book 'Memories of Clayton-le-Moors and Altham'. She states the names were changed, to what they are now, at the turn of the 20th century.

She also talks about the old iron bridge crossing the canal. I picture an iron bridge of iron structure ... Was it rebuilt to what it is now or just my lack of knowledge of bridge engineering ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 14:09   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

She also talks about the old iron bridge crossing the canal. I picture an iron bridge of iron structure ... Was it rebuilt to what it is now or just my lack of knowledge of bridge engineering ?
It's OK ... can now see that the structure underneath has metal support.
Old 27-06-2012, 14:41   #40
Rest in Peace

Quote:
It's OK ... can now see that the structure underneath has metal support.
Which bridge do you mean Kate?
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 15:15   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Which bridge do you mean Kate?
The Whalley Road Bridge.
Old 27-06-2012, 15:33   #42
Resting in Peace

See it is Metal underneath. So, is that an Iron Bridge then ?

Whalley Road Bridge.jpg
Old 27-06-2012, 15:57   #43
Rest in Peace

Quote:
See it is Metal underneath. So, is that an Iron Bridge then ?

Attachment 21357
Doesn't show up on the photo, but if there are girders under supporting the brick work then I should say yes, next time you are near the Blackburn rd bridge see if there are girders under that one? Can you remember if they have been strengthened in the last few years.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 16:00   #44
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Doesn't show up on the photo, but if there are girders under supporting the brick work then I should say yes, next time you are near the Blackburn rd bridge see if there are girders under that one? Can you remember if they have been strengthened in the last few years.
Davemac should have lots of pictures of both bridges, he often walks that way.
Old 27-06-2012, 16:05   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Did you click to enlarge ? Can see the beam across is metal.

No, can't say I have noticed it being strengthened, but wouldn't have taken much notice really... lol.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..