Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2009, 15:37   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Natural Spring (Water)- any nearby?

The water was tested in the culvert that runs under Woodnook Mill Margaret, and was deemed to be OK there which would have run down the hill as you outlined, however, understand what you are saying re. drawing it from the mouth of the spring ... well, I think so .. not a chemist.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2009, 22:54   #32
God Member

Tonight, on my birthday outing (next week really - you haven't missed it - a birthday thread will be appreciated), I had chance to have a serious dicussion about water with my geology grandson, and it seems he knows more about it than I expected (not just a paleoentologist- well not many dinosaurs hereabouts are there - Less and Tealeaf excepted )

We discussed sedentary rocks in this area and it seems that any water that 'bubbles up' around these parts would be lacking in magnesium, and that is why our water is 'soft'.

My son knows of a spring which bubbles up cleanly on farmland at Stanhill, and he is on friendly terms with the farmer.
So the result of my investigation - I have located a spring and can have access to it.
The water it provides will be better than tap water but I will still need need to take a magnesium supplement -so it might not be worth the hassle putting on my wellies.
I will decide when I am sober.

A good night has been had by all.
Francos, then the Tiger Lounge, where my goeology grandson happens to be manager whilst he awaits discovey of dinosaurs locally

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2009, 00:31   #33
God Member

As an afterthought -
our soft water locally can cause medical problems - read this
Are You Magnesium Deficient?
and decide whether to take a magnesium supplement. I do. It stopped nighttime leg cramps and lowers blood pressure.

Old 05-12-2009, 20:20   #34

Hi MargaretR
I just noticed your post about spring water.
On Hopwood st in Accrington, (nr Bullough Park) there is a piece of waste land.I know someone who lives there and the land apparently can't be built on as it has a geological fault on it and could cause a landslide if disturbed in the wrong way.
The present owner apparently submitted plans (a very long time ago) that would have dealt with the problem of the dodgy land but there was also a problem with the HUGE quantity of spring water that flows there. In fact the water runs down Hopwood street itself all the time. The cost of laying drainage that would cope with this was going to be so high that the future value of any houses would not warrant it. She (the person drawing up the plans), planned to put a standard pipe on the street that would provide the residents with fresh pure spring water any time they wanted it. I have a feeling that she was hoping to make an annual charge for the privilege though (to help with her costs of providing new drainage etc) and of course the residents objected. The source of the springs are in that field. In fact I played there sometimes as a child (when the land was not such a tip) and can clearly remember water bubbling straight up out of the ground.
I suppose that is why the area is called Springhill. Maybe an old map of Accrington would have the springs marked out on it.

Anyway, good luck with the water source you have found. Will you filter it for any trace metals etc or test it in any way or will you drink it just as you collect it?
Old 05-12-2009, 20:28   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Where are the springs in Rhyddings Park?
Gayle and I had a walk around the park yesterday. She was surprised to see the water flowing out of the ground between the 2 play areas.
Old 05-12-2009, 20:42   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Gayle and I had a walk around the park yesterday. She was surprised to see the water flowing out of the ground between the 2 play areas.

Another burst watermain. No wonder water is expensive.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 20:48   #37
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Another burst watermain. No wonder water is expensive.
there are lots in the park, pain in the backside, thats one reason it is so wet
Old 05-12-2009, 20:52   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
there are lots in the park, pain in the backside, thats one reason it is so wet

It spoils it for all when that happens as well.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 21:32   #39
God Member

I would prefer drinking from a spring which bubbles up well away from farmland and houses, because there is always a risk of groundwater contamination.
I do not have the resources to arrange for testing costs, but would drink from a spring that has been traditionally and currently sourced by others.
It is a pity that the lady you mentioned did not get support for her plan for Hopwood St, because she would have funded the tests for contaminents
As more people regard spring water as a source of mineral nutrition, the demand may well arise.

We are fortunate that we are not force medicated with fluoride hereabouts - the chlorine taste and smell is bad enough and needs carbon filtering out.
For health reasons my wellie treks are on hold until next Spring.

What has become clear from the responses here is that if our water supply from our taps ever fails, Hyndburn folk will not die of thirst.
(unwashed maybe, but thirsty -no)

Last edited by MargaretR; 05-12-2009 at 21:36.
Old 05-12-2009, 21:50   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I would prefer drinking from a spring which bubbles up well away from farmland and houses, because there is always a risk of groundwater contamination.
I do not have the resources to arrange for testing costs, but would drink from a spring that has been traditionally and currently sourced by others.
It is a pity that the lady you mentioned did not get support for her plan for Hopwood St, because she would have funded the tests for contaminents
As more people regard spring water as a source of mineral nutrition, the demand may well arise.

We are fortunate that we are not force medicated with fluoride hereabouts - the chlorine taste and smell is bad enough and needs carbon filtering out.
For health reasons my wellie treks are on hold until next Spring.

What has become clear from the responses here is that if our water supply from our taps ever fails, Hyndburn folk will not die of thirst.
(unwashed maybe, but thirsty -no)
Wish I could say the same about around my neck of the woods. Nearest to me is 13 miles give or take a mile up in the Ochil hills.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 22:00   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloping Hairpin View Post

On Hopwood st in Accrington, (nr Bullough Park) there is a piece of waste land.I know someone who lives there and the land apparently can't be built on as it has a geological fault on it and could cause a landslide if disturbed in the wrong way.
The present owner apparently submitted plans (a very long time ago) that would have dealt with the problem of the dodgy land but there was also a problem with the HUGE quantity of spring water that flows there. In fact the water runs down Hopwood street itself all the time.

That's an interesting story G.H. ... seems there is a covered reservoir at the bottom of Hopwood Street, and that is where the flow on Hopwood Street may come from. Not sure how it is fed though .. not an expert. There was once a tunnel from the quarries around there .. maybe that is why it is not safe to build on ... see this .. old map layering modern :

Hopwood Street.jpg
Old 06-12-2009, 10:24   #42

That's really interesting KATEX. I have often heard rushing water underground in the area so I guess it is likely pouring down one of those tunnels underground. There is a semi-circle of land or someting on the map at the head of where the 'tunnel' is marked out. As far as I recall the 'geological fault' was there. It is a sort of hill or mound at the top end of the land. It's possible that that could have caused the tunnel and the quarry to then collapse.

By the way, where did you find that map? I'd be interested to look at it

To MargaretR: The residents turned down the chance to have spring water on tap as they were expected to contribute a couple of thousand each to put in 'new drains' that would serve the new houses and the land's excess water. They all felt it was subsidising an otherwise unprofitable scheme to build houses. They would have paid through the nose for a dry street and a whole lot more traffic. Also several of the residents had used the edges of the land as car-parking spaces and gardens. There is some law I think that says if you take over a bit of waste land and tend it unchallenged for 7 years or something, you then become entitled to it legally. (I may have the exact details wrong there). If that is true then the present owner now owns less than they originally did!
Apparently the land used to be allotments (in WW2 or earlier) and they were some of the best in the area. I'd be interested to know if that was the case. I wonder why the present owner doesn't rent out plots privately. Would surely have some income for them...better than it just lying there as a free 'tip'.
As for the houses that back on to the land, (Perth St) they all pay full council tax for that band but the council won't clear the back-alley or clean the drains that are there. They say it is not their responsibility and the present owner of the land cannot be traced. So the residents there can't get out of their back gates because the drains have flooded (years ago) with the huge quantity of water and turned the whole alley into a bog. Spring water or not it can't be healthy.
The council used to clean it regularly. Wonder when they decided it was no longer their responsibility?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:52   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloping Hairpin View Post
That's really interesting KATEX. I have often heard rushing water underground in the area so I guess it is likely pouring down one of those tunnels underground. There is a semi-circle of land or someting on the map at the head of where the 'tunnel' is marked out. As far as I recall the 'geological fault' was there. It is a sort of hill or mound at the top end of the land. It's possible that that could have caused the tunnel and the quarry to then collapse.

By the way, where did you find that map? I'd be interested to look at it

The maps are easy to access GH .. is part of the LCC services, but I just type in Mario maps and go from there. You can download a full manual on how to operate .. must admit still a beginner myself. On the first window that appears just put in the town you want ... then map selection, will then take you into this section of the map. I find you have to do the drop down again for 'Historical Maps'.

Re. the semi-circle ... was the quarry ... I have taken the up-to date layer off to make it clearer.

Hopwood street 2.jpg

Didn't know about this covered reservoir myself until this week .. bet lots of people in that area know the history though and who it belongs too. Wonder if the stream involved is the one running off the stream from Dunnyshop then emerging to join Woodnook waters ?

Hopwood street 3.jpg
Old 07-12-2009, 11:49   #44
Junior Member+

Wink Re: Natural Spring (Water)- any nearby?

remember the red lion pub at top of willows lane( now a house) right opposite the front door there was a trough, running water all year round, there was one further up the road on the bend but someone widened the road, if you ask any of the locals at green howarth i am sure they will help.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:00   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacdingle View Post
remember the red lion pub at top of willows lane( now a house) right opposite the front door there was a trough, running water all year round, there was one further up the road on the bend but someone widened the road, if you ask any of the locals at green howarth i am sure they will help.
Thanks for your input.
The one on the bend has already been mentioned here.
If the one opposite the Red Lion is still there, then that is the best candidate yet for me to use.
I won't need wellies to get to it - lovely

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..