Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2006, 07:27   #1

Need Some Advice!

Hi all. Are there any policemen online today?
If any of you have any advice for me I'd be very grateful I was driving to work on Wednesday morning when my engine temp shot right up to the top - it's sorted now, but I went past a mobile speed camera and am pretty sure I was over the speed limit (about 35mph). The thing is - I was just trying to get to somewhere safe to stop (ie work) before my engine blew up (possibly taking me with it!) I was going over the motorway bridge on Helmshore Road (?) and was letting it speed up because, lets face it, no-one is likely to jump over the bridge wall and run into the road, are they? A totally inappropriate place to 'get' people, methinks?
I know I shouldn't have been speeding, but do you think I would get any sympathy from the powers that be?
Thanks in advance!
AccyRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-03-2006, 08:15   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Need Some Advice!

I don't think you would no, speeding is speeding. I think they would suggest you should have stopped on a safe straight section of road as soon as your car over heated. Out of interest what car do you have?
Old 17-03-2006, 16:04   #3

Yeah, dont think I've got much of a leg to stand on with this one, eh?! Had my son in the car and it was freezing so I just wanted to get him to nursery and me to work for some advice. Stupid girl, I'm really annoyed with myself.
It's a Nissan Almera - completley gorgeous compared to the knackered old Nova I used to have
Old 17-03-2006, 18:21   #4
Resting in Peace

You didn't mention whether the camera flashed, or maybe too concerned to notice >> think you 'would' have noticed though, so maybe, hopefully, no worries.

Problem is speed cameras aren't selective, but you do get an advice whereby they may just give you a warning in special circumstances, however, after being flashed at 36 mph last year and clean driving licence for 42 years (Gt. Harwood one, yeh know) >>> still got 3 points and £60 fine. Could have pleaded Grandaughter forgot lunch and had to catch bus up, going downhill, chatting to passenger, concerned would be late for work myself, but concluded it wouldn't work, so you will just have to take what comes.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 18:41   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyRach
It's a Nissan Almera - completley gorgeous
I hope you have had it sorted out properly. Over heating is one sure way to knacker an engine which will cost plenty pennies to have repaired.
Old 17-03-2006, 20:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
You didn't mention whether the camera flashed, or maybe too concerned to notice
It was a mobile camera unfortunatley, I don't think they flash. They got me a few years ago parked in between two other cars - would have been taking those points off my licence next year. Oh well, can't win 'em all. Will just have to hope the policeman in the back was having a rest at that particular moment, though I doubt it!
All the idiots I see every day who obviously never get caught... it makes me so mad.......
Neil - I took it back to the garage I bought it from - water very low in the pipes (can you tell Im very knowledgeable about car engines?) but water tank full. Might need a new thermostat if it happens again Looking good so far though, so keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 18-03-2006, 10:58   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyRach
It was a mobile camera unfortunatley, I don't think they flash.
Oh yeh, sorry Rach.. as usual not reading things properly.
The waiting will be the worst won't it? to see if anything official is behind your letter box in the mornings. Don't exactly know when you will be clear, think about 7/10 days, but have no experience on mobile notifications.

Will keep my fingures crossed for you. Keep us posted.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006, 12:43   #8

Someone at work told me they have two weeks to fine you or it's too late. Don't know how true that is, but I'll let you know!
Old 18-03-2006, 18:36   #9
God Member

They must serve a NIP(Notice of Intending Prosecution) with 14 days of the offence. It must be delivered by 1st class mail(Not registered or 2nd class or its null and Void). It is sent to the address that is registered in DVLA for the car. If you haven't updated it then as long as they sent it to the other address you will be done for it.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006, 18:37   #10
God Member

Sorry, forgot to add teh actual fine an be anything up to 6 months from teh offence as long as the NIP was served correctly

Old 19-03-2006, 01:06   #11

So if nothing has been heard within 14 days of being flashed, is that it then?
Old 19-03-2006, 06:58   #12
God Member

yep, unless as mentioned they have sent it to a previous address that the car is still registered to. or they can prove teh NIP was sent within the 14 days.

Something you are worried about Sarah?

Old 19-03-2006, 07:17   #13

I have been, but maybe not quite as much now........thanks.

Just to get another left passenger door now......anyone got a spare grand?

Last edited by sarah; 19-03-2006 at 07:21.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 07:55   #14
God Member

A door for that thing of yours should be no more than £200 from a scrapyard. add another £200 for painting tops

Old 20-03-2006, 08:09   #15

Thanks for clearing that up Entwisi.... only 9 more days to go!
What happened to your car Sarah? Sounds pretty bad if you need a whole new door

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..