Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2007, 10:17   #1
I am Banned

next prime minister?

this puzzles me, as john prescott is the deputy p.m then why does he not become the prime minister when tony blair resigns,as with most countries eg usa etc,when a leader resigns the 2nd becomes the leader (richard nixon resigned to be replaced by gerald ford) so why does it go to gordon brown the former chancellor, this surely is not very democratic, can anyone shed any light on this as i think john precott would be the dogs b***ocks as prime minister.
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-05-2007, 10:30   #2
God Member

Re: next prime minister?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7554 View Post
this puzzles me, as john prescott is the deputy p.m then why does he not become the prime minister when tony blair resigns,as with most countries eg usa etc,when a leader resigns the 2nd becomes the leader (richard nixon resigned to be replaced by gerald ford) so why does it go to gordon brown the former chancellor, this surely is not very democratic, can anyone shed any light on this as i think john precott would be the dogs b***ocks as prime minister.

Because John Prescott has also decided to stand down as deputy leader when TB does eventually resign. Don't forget at this stage he has only announced his intention to resign.

The thing that bugs me is that we are likely to have a Prime Minister who belongs to a country with a different parliament and their own laws yet he can dictate over us ??
Old 16-05-2007, 10:58   #3

very good point with you on that one lancsdave
Old 18-05-2007, 10:27   #4
I am Banned

should they not then have a leadership election,so that interested parties can put their names forward and fight it out with ballots down to the last 2,then its a straight fight.
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 12:41   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

The position of Deputy P M is a job in itself. It means he can deputise when necessary but not that he's a P M in Waiting. When Nixon resigned it was in a hurry so Ford had to step in, then he had to stand for election in the next term. It was the same when Kennedy was killed, Johnson had to take the reins then decided to stand in the next election. Tony Blair made it clear a long time ago that he would resign so there was no urgency for a replacement.
Old 18-05-2007, 12:46   #6
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

The thing that bugs me is that we are likely to have a Prime Minister who belongs to a country with a different parliament and their own laws yet he can dictate over us ??
I DONT TRUST HIM ,HE SEEMS TOO SHIFTY
Old 18-05-2007, 12:51   #7
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
I DONT TRUST HIM ,HE SEEMS TOO SHIFTY
who gordon brown?
i like him
dont ask why, i havent a clue
Old 18-05-2007, 12:55   #8
white rabbits

I havent a clue why i dont trust him,,, but i just dont...
Old 18-05-2007, 12:58   #9

cyfr gets my vote talks more sence
Old 18-05-2007, 20:16   #10
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
cyfr gets my vote talks more sence
NO COMMENT

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..