Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 12:52   #1
Resting in Peace

Nip Bone

anyone know where I can get some Nip Bone from: my granddad used to grow it:

You can drink it or bathe sprains with it.... and it helps cure the bone ache:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2008, 12:57   #2
God Member

Re: Nip Bone

I don't have a garden now, but had comfrey plants in thhe past.(its proper name)
You can buy comfrey ointment at herbal stores.
My dad used to make 'grass skirt' with the leaves and wear it under his underpants to ease a bad back.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:01   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I don't have a garden now, but had comfrey plants in thhe past.(its proper name)
You can buy comfrey ointment at herbal stores.
My dad used to make 'grass skirt' with the leaves and wear it under his underpants to ease a bad back.
ha my grandad used to make a vest ...... then they woner why we are stange ( in a nice way ) thanks Margaret will have a look :-)
he also used to smoke it in his pipe and make tea with the leaves....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:07   #4
God Member

I have just read Wikipedia
Comfrey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Internal use not advised.
I have some ointment - used it when I had a swollen knee - ideal for any site of osteo-arthritis

Old 08-12-2008, 13:28   #5
Resting in Peace

What was that stuff that went purple when put in warm water for sprains ..was that nip bone ? Think they might have been crystals actually ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:50   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
What was that stuff that went purple when put in warm water for sprains ..was that nip bone ? Think they might have been crystals actually ?
I have never seen it in crystal form, and never purple.
The colour of the ointment I have now is off white/opaque, but some jars I had in the past had brown ointment - depends on whether whole plant or just leaves are used I think.

Old 08-12-2008, 14:13   #7
God Member

Iodine Katex?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 14:27   #8
God Member

Comfrey leaves have fine 'hairs' which get in the fine skinpores when in contact.
That way they are very effective when using them for absorption of their beneficial organic chemicals.

Old 08-12-2008, 14:33   #9
I am Banned

Its old name from herbalists was Knit Bone, the monks of old used to wrap a poltice of Comfrey leaves round a broken bone.
The crystals that turn purple are Potassium Permanganate.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 15:21   #10
Give, give, give member

Mooreys the Herbalists in Blackburn sell dried Comfrey leaves.

http://www.blackburnmarket.com/stall...herbalist.html

We used to find it growing wild over Brookside in Ossy, though it's the wrong time of year to find any there now.

My mum always seemed to have a pan of it bubbling away for my dad, and the house stank of it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 15:35   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The crystals that turn purple are Potassium Permanganate.

Retlaw.
That was it !! Thought was potassium summat .. seems used for athlete's foot and fungal infections ! No good for Magpie's sore back though ..

Do remember we had nip bone though .. bit like nettles without the sting.
Can't remember whether it worked though .. probably the warm water was the most soothing for a sprained ankle or one of the broken bones I used to obtain on a regular basis.
Old 08-12-2008, 17:33   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
That was it !! Thought was potassium summat .. seems used for athlete's foot and fungal infections ! No good for Magpie's sore back though ..

Do remember we had nip bone though .. bit like nettles without the sting.
Can't remember whether it worked though .. probably the warm water was the most soothing for a sprained ankle or one of the broken bones I used to obtain on a regular basis.

Its KNIT Bone, not nip.
Pot Permang was the main ingredient of Condi's Fluid, it was an antiseptic mouth wash
I used to put a few grains of pot permang in my tropical fish tank, helped to prevent white spot and other things tropical fish suffered from.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 19:44   #13
God Member

Quote:
Its KNIT Bone, not nip.
Pot Permang was the main ingredient of Condi's Fluid, it was an antiseptic mouth wash
I used to put a few grains of pot permang in my tropical fish tank, helped to prevent white spot and other things tropical fish suffered from.

Retlaw.
Potassium permanganate is also used to treat foot rot in feed lot cattle ...

(I'm angling for the award of Most Fundamentally Useless Comment in a thread)
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 20:44   #14
God Member

Quote:
Its KNIT Bone, not nip.

Retlaw.
Can you be a little more precise than "a few grains"? You know, based on the capacity of the aquarium etc ... I have an aquarium that sometimes could use some of the help you describe.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 21:03   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Can you be a little more precise than "a few grains"? You know, based on the capacity of the aquarium etc ... I have an aquarium that sometimes could use some of the help you describe.
Not got a clue actually, but would suspect 'not a lot' as you may find your goldfish would have to change their name..

Remember dropping small amounts in those chemical gardens created when you were young .. had to rename 'Purple Haze' from 'Variegated Waterwonder'.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..