Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2015, 11:00   #106

Re: Nori Brick

Old Bricks:England 3 - A
JCB, smobile and Rowlf like this.
Old 18-08-2015, 16:23   #107
Full Member+

I was interested to see the name 'Accrington Brick & Tile.' in this article. My dad began work at the Whinney Hill works in December 1930 aged 14 yrs and the firms name was exactly that.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 18:49   #108
Senior Member+

There are some very interesting local brickmakers' names to be found in a wall opposite the shop at t'Stanley's ground. Locaol brickmaking is a subject crying out for an in-depth study
wadey likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:07   #109

Hi, Atarah,

I wonder if I could trouble you. I am researching the Nori brick and what they were made of apart from clay and wonder if the information in the museum can assist?
norbert123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:10   #110
Senior Member+

The bricks were made of locally-found clay which was called 'shale' by the people making the,. There has been very little written about this major industry. Call into the library or email [email protected] and he will point you towards anything which has been written. I think there is a national Brick Society , who would be able to give you technical information. I can probably find you address of Brian Dempsey, who was at Nori all his working life. There must be plenty of former employees who can assist. I will sent you a private message (PM)
Old 09-08-2017, 13:50   #111
Full Member+

How old is Brian Dempsey Bob ? What year did he finish at Nori. I am wondering if he would have known my dad. He finished there in 1961.
Old 09-08-2017, 20:16   #112
Senior Member+

Brian will be 80 or just over. , so he probably finished aged 65 about 1982. He would be just out of his apprenticeship when your dad finished. Brian designed fancy terra-cotta items .I am struggling to find his phone number
Old 12-08-2017, 09:22   #113

I always thought that the company was called Accrington Brick & Tile, with the main plant only being called 'Nori'. The other plants being Enfield, Whinney Hill, and Deerplay, near Burnley.

My dad was raised in the farm on top of Whinney Hill and worked at Nori all his working life. As the quarry grew, he saw his old home disappear to provide shale for the bricks he made.

He got me a couple of summer jobs, once at Whinney Hill, and once at Enfield, where I was supervised by Thurston, who, I can confirm, did not invent the Nori brick.
Old 12-08-2017, 20:19   #114
Senior Member+

Accrington Brick Tile was just one of the local companies I think - the others were separate companies. There was one at Baxenden owned by a Whittaker, another at Rishton owned by Mr Clark/Clarke. Another Whittaker owned a foundry in Dowry St which made brick-making machinery
Old 12-08-2017, 23:02   #115
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I think you will find that Dynamite was not invented until 1867
I think you will find it was but it was called ETIMANYD.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 23:20   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
I think you will find it was but it was called ETIMANYD.
How come this is on here ? - Barrie Yates has not contributed to this thread
Old 13-08-2017, 20:28   #117
Full Member+

I know that Whinney Hill and the works in Clayton were the same firm. My dad worked at Whinney Hill from Jan 1931 until March 1941 when he was called up. When he was demobbed in 1946 he went to work at Clayton, as I believe there had been a fire at Whinney Hill,. and he worked there till 1961. I know Whinney Hill did reopen but he never went back there.
Old 14-08-2017, 11:11   #118
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 14-08-2017, 16:23   #119
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
??????????????????????????????????
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 17:01   #120
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
??????????????????????????????????
If you can understand Bob's post you must be some sort of genius

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..