Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 10:42   #1
Caz
God Member

Oddfellows

Does anyone know what has been going on at the Oddfellows in Clayton?
Police there from at least 6am, and still there when daughter-in-law took grandson to school. Officers front and back.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2009, 10:55   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Oddfellows

sorry no idea caz, but when i went adsa last night around 9-00 there were 4 police cars on car park, n inside i saw a couple of cops in those short flak jackets looking serious by customer services, perhaps theres some connection?
Old 09-01-2009, 18:35   #3
Senior Member+

Heres your answer:

BBC NEWS | England | Lancashire | Landlord injured in pub robbery
A landlord was knocked unconscious by masked robbers who targeted his Lancashire pub in the early hours.

Last edited by Mick; 09-01-2009 at 20:53.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 18:38   #4
Caz
God Member

Thanks Lolly.
Telegraph don't seem to have got wind of it yet!

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 22:04   #5
Senior Member+

according to the landlord 4 big blokes broke in
through the back window and set about him
stabbing him 4 times in the leg
luckily no harm done to the partner,or anyone else in the pub
but the perps got a good beating back
yes this is clayton

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:18   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
according to the landlord 4 big blokes broke in
through the back window and set about him
stabbing him 4 times in the leg
luckily no harm done to the partner,or anyone else in the pub
but the perps got a good beating back
yes this is clayton
Ya its very near to home beechy, its on ceefax this morning that they forced his partner to had over £750, just shows how thick these people are really, £750 between four and a possible 7 year + jail term for armed robbery, beggars belief
Old 10-01-2009, 18:49   #7
Resting in Peace

I really feel for the landlord and landlady....
but I personally feel that 21/23 is too young to have that responsibility.... then again it could be me that's getting old:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 19:48   #8
God Member

i bet they werent Claytoners who robbed him though
Old 10-01-2009, 20:30   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
but I personally feel that 21/23 is too young to have that responsibility.... then again it could be me that's getting old:
They are young to be running a pub but what happened to them the other night would be a shock to anyone at any age.

I'm glad they're ok but they'll never forget it.
Old 10-01-2009, 20:54   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Actually 23/25 if you read the report correctly Magpie.

I think they are the perfect age for this type of pub which attracts lots of young people from the council estate and will certainly be on a par with them to not criticize their style of life. I do get a little nervous myself when walking past in Summer and everyone outside .. always some sort of comment thrown at me. They will gain their experience here and move on to larger establishments .. perfect.

Also, they appear to have risen again and got on with their jobs and not looked backward to this incident; lots of older landlords would have been stuck in this time warp.

Well done you two .. hope they catch the idiots.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:42   #11

Thought the Oddfellowswas closed ages ago. Sorry to hear about the robbery though.
or was it the Lamb.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:58   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Thought the Oddfellowswas closed ages ago. Sorry to hear about the robbery though.
or was it the Lamb.
That was the Lamb, yes. It's been converted into flats now.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:22   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Actually 23/25 if you read the report correctly Magpie.

I think they are the perfect age for this type of pub which attracts lots of young people from the council estate and will certainly be on a par with them to not criticize their style of life. I do get a little nervous myself when walking past in Summer and everyone outside .. always some sort of comment thrown at me. They will gain their experience here and move on to larger establishments .. perfect.

Also, they appear to have risen again and got on with their jobs and not looked backward to this incident; lots of older landlords would have been stuck in this time warp.

Well done you two .. hope they catch the idiots.

Of course its terrible what's happened there.... and in general I feel that say under 25 is too young to be a landlord:

In general : these day's anyone it seems can get a pub ( ok within reason )
The new landlords come and go all the time.... you need to have experience to deal with some of the problems that can happen.... once upon a time Respect was shown to landlords ( sadly not the case anymore)

Legally some of these young ones, have only been drinking themselves for three years.... so what real experience have they got on the effect that the alcohol can have.... you need to be able to READ your punters.... that comes only with maturity:
Old 11-01-2009, 11:40   #14
Senior Member+

This is the 2nd pub that the lass has been landlady in, the 1st i beleive was very succeussful (but this was run with her ex partner and they seperated)

She is 25 and he is 23

I dont think that there age is really an issue, its not as though this was a problem due to mis conduct of anyone in the pub whilst opening etc, this was carried out well after closing. This was something completely beyond their control, i feel it very unfair to critisize them for the young age that they are. Like many others, old or young, they are running their own business and making a life for hemselves and doing the best that they can do

Every credit to them, they have picked themselves up and got back on with things, am sure not everyone would be able to do that given what happened.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:06   #15
Resting in Peace

my comments are not aimed at this couple... I know the landlady and she does a great job.... my comments are in general: :-)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..