Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-03-2013, 09:25   #1

Oil-radiator advice

Last night I was in my bedroom with my oil-radiator on... (This room is really cold, and I usually put the radiator on for about an hour before I retire to the room for this reason)! And after a couple of hours I was really cold again, I checked the radiator, and it had switched off, not just gone off-but switched off.

Honestly, I'm a sceptic where things like this are concerned but I was shaken up by it-mainly because there are two switches on the radiator, similar to light switches where they press down for on and up for off. They make quite a pronounced 'click' when the heater's switched from on to off-and I hadn't heard anything.

In the five hours or so before sleeping (with one eye open!) I had left the room only once, to go to the loo-the room was already cold by then so I'm inclined to think the heater was already off.
Is there a reasonable explanation why it would do this?It's never done it before-if it could be that the fuse or something's gone on it-would this activate the switch to off?
I've only ever had issues with the heater when I moved house-it took a while to get going again once in the new location-but as I said, it's never actually flicked off like this.
Old 28-03-2013, 09:29   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Oil-radiator advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
Last night I was in my bedroom with my oil-radiator on... (This room is really cold, and I usually put the radiator on for about an hour before I retire to the room for this reason)! And after a couple of hours I was really cold again, I checked the radiator, and it had switched off, not just gone off-but switched off.

Honestly, I'm a sceptic where things like this are concerned but I was shaken up by it-mainly because there are two switches on the radiator, similar to light switches where they press down for on and up for off. They make quite a pronounced 'click' when the heater's switched from on to off-and I hadn't heard anything.

In the five hours or so before sleeping (with one eye open!) I had left the room only once, to go to the loo-the room was already cold by then so I'm inclined to think the heater was already off.
Is there a reasonable explanation why it would do this?It's never done it before-if it could be that the fuse or something's gone on it-would this activate the switch to off?
I've only ever had issues with the heater when I moved house-it took a while to get going again once in the new location-but as I said, it's never actually flicked off like this.
Has it not got a thermal trip switch on it that need resetting?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 09:31   #3
Senior Member+

Have you tried the fuse in the 13 amp plug
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 09:32   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:

Are you saying the actual on/off rocker switch had moved from on to off, have you any history of walking in your sleep?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 09:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Has it not got a thermal trip switch on it that need resetting?
I'm googling the make and model to see now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Have you tried the fuse in the 13 amp plug
Not yet-if it's a fuse though, I'm thinking it unlikely that the actual switch would go off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Are you saying the actual on/off rocker switch had moved from on to off, have you any history of walking in your sleep?
Yes it had-the switches (there are two and they were both on) were both set to off.

No-but in any case I wasn't asleep, I was doing some work on the laptop!
I'll see if I can find out more about the model and whether it is set turn off by switch, if something's wrong with it or it overheats or something... Will update if I find out!
Old 28-03-2013, 09:41   #6
Senior Member+

I doubt that the on/off switch would be used as a trip switch, may have a seperate one inside somewhere, but that wouldn`t move the on/off switch in my limted experience with these radiators.
Old 28-03-2013, 09:42   #7

Quote:
I doubt that the on/off switch would be used as a trip switch, may have a seperate one inside somewhere, but that wouldn`t move the on/off switch in my limted experience with these radiators.
That's what I thought, and that's why I slept with one eye open! I want there to be a straightforward explanation-I've not found anything on the internet yet, though.
Old 28-03-2013, 09:43   #8
God Member

Maybe that large dog you have has found out how to do it.

(I had a cat who learned how to open the fridge)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 09:50   #9
Senior Member+

I`ve seen some strange things happen when people (kids in my case) are half asleep or have just nodded off, or if as said above, you have a dog wandering the house, he/she may have caught it. I`m sure it`s nothing to worry about.
Old 28-03-2013, 09:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Maybe that large dog you have has found out how to do it.

(I had a cat who learned how to open the fridge)
You had a cat with thumbs! imagine how doomed we'd all be if they all had them!

I have a house with my partner ,where Kya the dog lives, but at the moment I'm also renting this room from my friend-where I live usually Monday through to Thursday or Friday depending on work. So no, unfortunately I can't blame the dog-had she been here I would have for definite!

Quote:
I`ve seen some strange things happen when people (kids in my case) are half asleep or have just nodded off, or if as said above, you have a dog wandering the house, he/she may have caught it. I`m sure it`s nothing to worry about.
I have too lol-my ex-partner used to sleepwalk-he locked himself out of his house with no clothes on once!

But as I said, I wasn't asleep or anywhere near asleep. If I work from home I work until around 4 am or later. And as above, the dog isn't here. The only people in the house were me and the friend I rent the room off-he was asleep in his bedroom the whole time.
Thank you-I just wanted to know if anybody had a straight up reason why the heater would have done this-I have had some strange goings-on in houses all my life-but I like to think that most things can be explained rationally.

Last edited by Sunflower49; 28-03-2013 at 09:54.
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 09:53   #11
Senior Member+

But if you are worried about whether the radiator is safe to use, take no chances, get a new one.
Old 28-03-2013, 09:55   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
You had a cat with thumbs! imagine how doomed we'd all be if they all had them!

I have a house with my partner ,where Kya the dog lives, but at the moment I'm also renting this room from my friend-where I live usually Monday through to Thursday or Friday depending on work. So no, unfortunately I can't blame the dog-had she been here I would have for definite!

I have too lol-my ex-partner used to sleepwalk-he locked himself out of his house with no clothes on once!

But as I said, I wasn't asleep or anywhere near asleep. If I work from home I work until around 4 am or later. And as above, the dog isn't here. The only people in the house were me and the friend I rent the room off-he was asleep in his bedroom the whole time.
Thank you-I just wanted to know if anybody had a straight up reason why the heater would have done this-I have had some strange goings-on in houses all my life-but I like to think that most things can be explained rationally.
Could your friend have turned it off, they aren`t cheap to run, when we had to use them, i was forever going round the house turning them off.
Old 28-03-2013, 09:55   #13

Quote:
But if you are worried about whether the radiator is safe to use, take no chances, get a new one.
I should have probably added that it isn't working at all now-I've just checked it. I'll get my partner to take a look at it and yes if in any doubt I'll go and get one-I was wanting a halogen heater anyway after being recommended one from Margaret P.
Old 28-03-2013, 09:57   #14

Quote:
Could your friend have turned it off, they aren`t cheap to run, when we had to use them, i was forever going round the house turning them off.
No, he was asleep the whole time-he goes to bed at 10 am as he gets up around 6 am every day.
I know they're not cheap but I pay him enough to cover because he doesn't use his central heating so I'd freeze otherwise!
Old 28-03-2013, 10:01   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
I like to think that most things can be explained rationally.
Me too, unfortunately Mrs 24 is the opposite, slightest thing and it`s something supernatural

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..