Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2010, 09:01   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Old Pubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Possibly thinking about the Red Lion ?
its in the other thread mate, this is getting more confusing.
Old 21-06-2010, 09:23   #17
Junior Member+

Sorry I confused you all (the question made perfect sense to me LOL). KSH is right I was meaning in the area of PV Tubes. Sorry again
jo jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 18:52   #18

There was a pub opposite the swan, the building opposite which used to be PV tubes, boarded up now I think, was the first coaching house in Accy so was told.There are still the old stables underneath.
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 21:27   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
There was a pub opposite the swan, the building opposite which used to be PV tubes, boarded up now I think, was the first coaching house in Accy so was told.There are still the old stables underneath.
There was NO pub opposite the Swan Inn, the Red lion was opposite the Oak Tree Inn which was on the corner of Birtwistle St.
The Red Lion was not the first coaching house as you call it. The first Coaching Inn was the Black Bull in Bull Bridge, the next was the Bay Horse in what became Church St, then the George Inn in Abbey St.
There are no stables underneath the Red Lion (where did you get that garbage from) I have been in the cellars underneath the Red Lion and they are brick arched with an internal stone staircase.
The stables were accesssed from Black Abbey St and are still there.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 01-07-2010 at 21:30.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 22:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
There was NO pub opposite the Swan Inn, the Red lion was opposite the Oak Tree Inn which was on the corner of Birtwistle St.
The Red Lion was not the first coaching house as you call it. The first Coaching Inn was the Black Bull in Bull Bridge, the next was the Bay Horse in what became Church St, then the George Inn in Abbey St.
There are no stables underneath the Red Lion (where did you get that garbage from) I have been in the cellars underneath the Red Lion and they are brick arched with an internal stone staircase.
The stables were accesssed from Black Abbey St and are still there.
Retlaw.
So maybe we are all not the expert that you seem to be but this reply was rude and arrogant to a fairly new member who has joined this forum and put in what they thought.

Not very welcoming in my opinion
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 22:58   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post
So maybe we are all not the expert that you seem to be but this reply was rude and arrogant to a fairly new member who has joined this forum and put in what they thought.

May be it did seem rude and arrogant to you, but after a time I get fed up with people using the same posting as opposite the Swan Hotel, when the exact location had been quoted in previous posts.
Over 60 years of collecting information regarding Accrington's history, may have made me some sort of expert, but there is still a lot I don't know about the goings on between 1290 and the mid 1500's. Now there's a task for you, but you will probably need to spend a couple of weeks down at the Record Office at Kew.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 01-07-2010 at 23:01.
Old 03-07-2010, 17:42   #22

Across from the petrol station,was the Red Lion.Later to become a tyre repair
place
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 18:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzac View Post

completley agree with you good manners and politeness cost nothing it was totally rude
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 19:20   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Walker View Post
Across from the petrol station,was the Red Lion.Later to become a tyre repair
place
When the Red Lion was last used to sell ales and spirits there was no petrol station.
The Red Lion when it closed was taken over by Clarksons Tyres, then by PV Tubes. The Petrol Station didn't appear until they demolished all the property from the New Jerusalem Church to Plantation St, to make way for the bypass now known as East Gate.
In the days when the Red Lion was open across the road was the Oak Tree Inn.
Correcting the misuse of locations may seem rude to some of you newcomers, but if your going continue making the same errors you will come to believe yourselves.
If you had a fire in your house you would expect the Fire Brigade to attend wouldn't you, but they can only attend if you tell them where you are, not in Abbey St somewhere near the Swan Hotel.

State precisely and in detail what you mean or shut up.

Retlaw.
Old 03-07-2010, 19:36   #25

Quote:
When the Red Lion was last used to sell ales and spirits there was no petrol station.
The Red Lion when it closed was taken over by Clarksons Tyres, then by PV Tubes. The Petrol Station didn't appear until they demolished all the property from the New Jerusalem Church to Plantation St, to make way for the bypass now known as East Gate.
In the days when the Red Lion was open across the road was the Oak Tree Inn.
Correcting the misuse of locations may seem rude to some of you newcomers, but if your going continue making the same errors you will come to believe yourselves.
If you had a fire in your house you would expect the Fire Brigade to attend wouldn't you, but they can only attend if you tell them where you are, not in Abbey St somewhere near the Swan Hotel.

State precisely and in detail what you mean or shut up.

Retlaw.

Good to see you're manners have improved!!

surely the reference to the petrol station is to assist people today to identify a location it was not saying there's alays been a petrol station at that location

If I had a fire in my house I wouldn't be saying I'm in a property that used to be opposite a building that no longer exists!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 20:08   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
Good to see you're manners have improved!!

surely the reference to the petrol station is to assist people today to identify a location it was not saying there's alays been a petrol station at that location

If I had a fire in my house I wouldn't be saying I'm in a property that used to be opposite a building that no longer exists!!!
Well I've taken calls for fires with dafter addresses than that.
A more precise location would have been on the corner of Abbey St and the South side of Black Abbey St, opposite what is now a Tesco Petrol Station. Not opposite the Swan Inn.

Opposite the Swan Inn on the Western side of Abbey St is a car sales place, formerly used as a petrol staton, previously the site of the Wesley Church.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-07-2010 at 20:11.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:55   #27

Quote:
Well I've taken calls for fires with dafter addresses than that.
A more precise location would have been on the corner of Abbey St and the South side of Black Abbey St, opposite what is now a Tesco Petrol Station. Not opposite the Swan Inn.
Opposite the Swan Inn on the Western side of Abbey St is a car sales place, formerly used as a petrol staton, previously the site of the Wesley Church.
Retlaw.
Just perhaps the person who started the original thread doesn't have your inbuilt knowledge of the local area and have a compass in their hand It seemed clear enough to me that the reference to opposite the Swan referred to the old PV tubes building

If we are talking precision where is the Swan Inn? I presume you mean the Swan Hotel however unlike your pompus goodself I will forgive your error
Old 04-07-2010, 14:08   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
Just perhaps the person who started the original thread doesn't have your inbuilt knowledge of the local area and have a compass in their hand It seemed clear enough to me that the reference to opposite the Swan referred to the old PV tubes building

If we are talking precision where is the Swan Inn? I presume you mean the Swan Hotel however unlike your pompus goodself I will forgive your error
Call it what you will Swan Hotel/Inn/Pub, its still the Swan a recognisable and well known landmark. Not like some of the vague descriptions used on here. I dont have a compass in my hand, don't think I have one, what I have is spatial awareness, I know where I am and remember where I've been and what I've seen.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 04-07-2010 at 14:10.
Old 07-07-2010, 17:58   #29
Senior Member+

Grief Retlaw, you can be a grumpy thing, can't you!
Obviously the person asking the question wasnt too sure about the history of Accrington
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me. Did there used to a pub situated across the road from the petrol station on Abbey St

("Next to the Swan" - this was meant as a guide as to which part of the street they were talking about).

All it needed was a "YES, there was an old pub called THE RED LION, a long time ago, facing approx where the Tesco Petrol Station now is on Abbey Street
"Simple reply" Retlaw, just a simple reply was all that was needed!!!!
Consider yourself TOLD OFF!

Have attached a photo of the building in question
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jan2009OldRedLionPublicHouse.JPG (376.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 07-07-2010 at 18:06.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 18:15   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Grief Retlaw, you can be a grumpy thing, can't you!
Obviously the person asking the question wasnt too sure about the history of Accrington
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me. Did there used to a pub situated across the road from the petrol station on Abbey St

("Next to the Swan" - this was meant as a guide as to which part of the street they were talking about).

All it needed was a "YES, there was an old pub called THE RED LION, a long time ago, facing approx where the Tesco Petrol Station now is on Abbey Street
"Simple reply" Retlaw, just a simple reply was all that was needed!!!!
Consider yourself TOLD OFF!

Have attached a photo of the building in question
Well done Atarah completely agree with you

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..