Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 18:13   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Old Pubs

[quote=Retlaw;827208]Its still being used there is a sign on the wall "Hiliti" I think, did'nt take much notice of that.
I've attached pictures I took today.

Do you know Retlaw, you CAN be really nice sometimes. Wish you were ALL the time! Smashing pictures you took, answering all queries. Well done!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-07-2010, 18:32   #47
I am Banned

[quote=Atarah;827763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Its still being used there is a sign on the wall "Hiliti" I think, did'nt take much notice of that.

Do you know Retlaw, you CAN be really nice sometimes. Wish you were ALL the time! Smashing pictures you took, answering all queries. Well done!
If I was nice all the time you'd think I was ill or sumat, it must be the bluudy tablets, I prefer being a grumpy bad tempered sod, have to get some more grumpy pills.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 18:54   #48

Keep taking the pills, you did make me jump at first but am quite endeared to you now, don't change. Thanks for the photos they were great and I appreciate your sharing of your hard earned knowledge.

Stay Grumpy!
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 19:35   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
Keep taking the pills, you did make me jump at first but am quite endeared to you now, don't change. Thanks for the photos they were great and I appreciate your sharing of your hard earned knowledge.

Stay Grumpy!
That does it, I'm going docs on Monday for some nasty pills as well, these grumpy pills are'nt strong enough.
Retlaw.
Old 10-07-2010, 19:41   #50
God Member

Just ask for red ones
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matrix_red_blue_pill.jpg (30.6 KB, 9 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 19:59   #51
Senior Member+

[quote=Atarah;827763]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Its still being used there is a sign on the wall "Hiliti" I think, did'nt take much notice of that.

He is always nice and polite with me??????
Old 10-07-2010, 20:50   #52
I am Banned

[quote=Barrie Yates;827796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post

He is always nice and polite with me??????
If I had a Christmas card list I'd cross you off it, your spoiling my image you lot.
All these pills I have to take, Grumpy Pills, Nasty Pills and Ugly Pills.
Retlaw.
Old 14-01-2011, 22:03   #53
Senior Member+

An old thread revived: I have just been given the Chief Constable's Licensing Report and report of Crime for 1936. I shall be giving it to the library, along with a few Crime reports for later years. At that time it appears that the Licensing and Crimne reports were separate. To read his licensing reports for those years, you will need to look at the Obsevers for each February, when he reported to the Brewster sessions

In March, the Thwaites Arms was closed and its Publican's (full) licence transferred to the Duke of Wellington beerhouse, Abbey St.

There were 106 licensed premises and 26 registed clubs in the borough. The population was 42,991, giving 406 to every licensed house. The club with most members was the Stephenson Memorial Club, Grimshaw st. The Massonic Club , with 516 members was next. The District Club, Blackburhn Rd had donly 38 Most clubs closed on Sundays

There were 47 Publican's (full) licences; 28 beerhouses (on); 21 beerhouses 9off); 10 other off-licences of varying sorts.

There were 164 police visits to licensed premises, resulting in one conviction for selling after time.4 males and 6 females were convicted, along with the landlord.

Between 1930 -36 the number of convictions for drunkennness averaged 26

There were 5 billards licences:- Crown Billard hall; Albion St Billard hall; The Alma Inn; Central Billard Hall, Whalley rd and the Transport Dept Club,

There were 5 cinemas. The King's Hall; The Empire; The Prince's; the Hippodrome; The Palace and the (Ritz) Picture House. The Regal, later Odeon, had not yet opened.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 19:00   #54
Resting in Peace

Bob ... does you report show the name of all the licensed premises ?
Trying to sort out in another thread what the pub was called at 34 Bank Street, well, before it closed.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 20:19   #55
Senior Member+

No it doesn't. 34 is next door to the Blind Soc. You need an old Barretts Directory. My 1951 cannot help. It certainly wasn't the Bee Hive,the Oddfellows or The Abbey, so that leaves The Cloggers Arms and The Farriers Arms.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 20:22   #56
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Bob ... does you report show the name of all the licensed premises ?
Trying to sort out in another thread what the pub was called at 34 Bank Street, well, before it closed.
Hi Snakehead
34 Bank St became Daltons Printers used to be Farriers at one time, all this has been discussed in other threads.
There were also the Beehive & the Cloggers in Bank St, can you say what they are now.
Don't scratch your head the snakes might bite.

Retlaw.
Old 15-01-2011, 23:56   #57
Resting in Peace

So, 34 Bank Street finished up as the Farriers (started out as the Colliers). Wished you had come to our rescue on this thread from #49.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...s-56392-3.html

You were pratting on on another thread about it once being The Flying Dutchman !

Anyway, I got there in the end, even if I did call it The Furriers ... well, only a vowel out, eh ?

Cloggers is now Duckworth's wool shop; don't think the property exists any more that was once the Beehive at No. 42 ? Just spare land.

Sssssssss.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 02:21   #58
God Member

just one question, from an overseas Accy-web user ....... is "Snakehead" a new Accrington term of affection/endearment ... to be used in place of such terms as 'Dear' and 'Luv' or even 'Mi owd cock'
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 03:24   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
An old thread revived: I have just been given the Chief Constable's Licensing Report and report of Crime for 1936. I shall be giving it to the library, along with a few Crime reports for later years. At that time it appears that the Licensing and Crimne reports were separate. To read his licensing reports for those years, you will need to look at the Obsevers for each February, when he reported to the Brewster sessions

In March, the Thwaites Arms was closed and its Publican's (full) licence transferred to the Duke of Wellington beerhouse, Abbey St.

There were 106 licensed premises and 26 registed clubs in the borough. The population was 42,991, giving 406 to every licensed house. The club with most members was the Stephenson Memorial Club, Grimshaw st. The Massonic Club , with 516 members was next. The District Club, Blackburhn Rd had donly 38 Most clubs closed on Sundays

There were 47 Publican's (full) licences; 28 beerhouses (on); 21 beerhouses 9off); 10 other off-licences of varying sorts.

There were 164 police visits to licensed premises, resulting in one conviction for selling after time.4 males and 6 females were convicted, along with the landlord.

Between 1930 -36 the number of convictions for drunkennness averaged 26

There were 5 billards licences:- Crown Billard hall; Albion St Billard hall; The Alma Inn; Central Billard Hall, Whalley rd and the Transport Dept Club,

There were 5 cinemas. The King's Hall; The Empire; The Prince's; the Hippodrome; The Palace and the (Ritz) Picture House. The Regal, later Odeon, had not yet opened.
this info is brill..best thing ive seen for ages ..a blody big well done to you
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 03:40   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
So, 34 Bank Street finished up as the Farriers (started out as the Colliers). Wished you had come to our rescue on this thread from #49.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...s-56392-3.html

You were pratting on on another thread about it once being The Flying Dutchman !

Anyway, I got there in the end, even if I did call it The Furriers ... well, only a vowel out, eh ?

Cloggers is now Duckworth's wool shop; don't think the property exists any more that was once the Beehive at No. 42 ? Just spare land.

Sssssssss.
i actually worked in this very building in the 1980's that was in times gone by called the ' farriers arms ' on bank street ..was Daltons printers at that time and we kept the glass pub sign ' farriers arms ' written in the upper front door glass.should still have that glass on inner door even now although place seems unused now..anyway it was happy days then

Last edited by spignific; 16-01-2011 at 03:43.
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..