Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Old Pubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
nah its listed as is the Black Bull.
Well as far as I know the Black Bull never had out to do wi Thwaites, what was that pub called further down than the bull, that was Daniels wasn't it
Old 11-08-2011, 09:08   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well as far as I know the Black Bull never had out to do wi Thwaites, what was that pub called further down than the bull, that was Daniels wasn't it
Black Bull was a Thwaites house. as was the Australian.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:34   #78
Senior Member+

I was always under the impression The Welcome Inn was on Elelphant Street, but .. maybe not Cashman if you frequented the place, eh?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:48   #79
Senior Member+

Old Pubs

Quote:
Can someone enlighten me about the Thwaites Arms? it says "Demolished to make way for shopping centre" its news to me.
We certainly DID have a pub with that name Cashman. It was on the corner across from the Town Hall, and sort of facing where that curtain shop has just closed (next to Yorkshire Bank)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbroad8.jpg (122.5 KB, 24 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:03   #80
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
We certainly DID have a pub with that name Cashman. It was on the corner across from the Town Hall, and sort of facing where that curtain shop has just closed (next to Yorkshire Bank)
There you go Cashy...you're wrong, wrong, wrong. Hang your head in shame.

Anyway, I've just had a look at this site. I notice they've managed to double count the Tanpits/Plough and the Oak Tree under both Accy & Church, the Cross Guns has become the 'Crossed Guns' (now reopened, by the way) and the Navigation is listed has having been demolised in the 1960's....surely it was pulled down way before then?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:22   #81
I am Banned

Quote:
wrong regarding the Welcome Inn twas on Birtwistle St, was one of me regular haunts fer a good while.
The Welcome Inn was at 7&9 Elephant St, tha must have been really pickled when tha were haunting the place. The Colliers & the Peel Arms were in Birtwistle St, both have gone, now occupied the red brick housing blocks.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 11-08-2011 at 11:27. Reason: Spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:09   #82
Resting In Peace

Quote:
wrong regarding the Welcome Inn twas on Birtwistle St, was one of me regular haunts fer a good while.
Welcome was on Elephant Street Cashy, Colliers was on Birtwistle Street.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:17   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I was always under the impression The Welcome Inn was on Elelphant Street, but .. maybe not Cashman if you frequented the place, eh?
yeh it was the Colliers on birtwistle St atarah just around the corner, got mixed up. both were Mathew Brown. (Lion) houses both sold Pint Crystals n thats me excuse. lol
Old 11-08-2011, 13:07   #84
God Member

Quote:
yeh it was the Colliers on birtwistle St atarah just around the corner, got mixed up. both were Mathew Brown. (Lion) houses both sold Pint Crystals n thats me excuse. lol
I wonder if the 'recipe' for Crystal Ale was kept after Matthew Brown/Lions was shut down. I assume it's the mixture of hops/malt but what exactly was it that gave it the gas? Was it the yeast? The brewing process? Whatever, it's a pint that's sorely missed and it would be nice to see one of the microbreweries resurrect the brew...some of the kids now don't know what they're missing.

I tried that Thwaites '3 C's' last weekend...a lovely brew. reminded me a bit of the old Boddingtons, before that got ruined.
Old 11-08-2011, 13:14   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Dunno what it was T, was never really interested in the fact back then. just was a great bottle n got me well pished.
Old 11-08-2011, 13:27   #86
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I wonder if the 'recipe' for Crystal Ale was kept after Matthew Brown/Lions was shut down. I assume it's the mixture of hops/malt but what exactly was it that gave it the gas? Was it the yeast? The brewing process? Whatever, it's a pint that's sorely missed and it would be nice to see one of the microbreweries resurrect the brew.
What a cracking idea. Bring it on!
Old 11-08-2011, 13:51   #87
God Member

Aye, it was lovely stuff...a couple of bottles and your belly was bloated. It was like being pregnant with twins...but then came the burp and out went the gas.

I bet the recipe ended up with Scottish & Newcastle..which is now Carlsberg/Heineken..so I guess the yeast and everything is now is now stuck on a shelf in Brussels or Copenhagen.
Old 11-08-2011, 14:18   #88
Senior Member+

There was an Oak Tree in Acc as well as in Church. It was in Abbey St and closed down in 1929. I will dig up some info on it.

The Olde Black Bull ()its real name) was on King St, under the railway viaduct at the end of Hyndburn Rd It was Accrington's earliest pub, and the bridge over the river there is probably called Bull Bridge because it was close by the pub, whose name to locals would be shortened to The Bull. This spot was a main thoroughfare long before the turnpike was laid down and called Abbey St
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 14:20   #89
Give, give, give member

It might be inaccurate, but it's got you lot in the Snug chatting.

No need to thank me for posting the link.

Just send a drink over the bar.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 15:06   #90
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
There was an Oak Tree in Acc as well as in Church. It was in Abbey St and closed down in 1929. I will dig up some info on it.

The Olde Black Bull ()its real name) was on King St, under the railway viaduct at the end of Hyndburn Rd It was Accrington's earliest pub, and the bridge over the river there is probably called Bull Bridge because it was close by the pub, whose name to locals would be shortened to The Bull. This spot was a main thoroughfare long before the turnpike was laid down and called Abbey St
I don't think the Church 'Oak Tree' was actually in Church...it was just over the border in Accy and I suspect it's name was a play on the historic source of Accy's name. Heading east on Blackburn Rd, the old sign "Welcome to Accy" was about twenty yards before the Oak Tree and that stood just about above the culverted Antley Syke, the boundary between Church & Accy.

As for the Black Bull, it's demolition was no less than a criminal act whose perpetuators have never been brought to justice. In it's place we have a tatty multi-storey car park, the demolition of which is in itself long overdue.
cjbdaw likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..