Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 15:56   #91
Full Member+

Re: Old Pubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I don't think the Church 'Oak Tree' was actually in Church...it was just over the border in Accy and I suspect it's name was a play on the historic source of Accy's name. Heading east on Blackburn Rd, the old sign "Welcome to Accy" was about twenty yards before the Oak Tree and that stood just about above the culverted Antley Syke, the boundary between Church & Accy.

As for the Black Bull, it's demolition was no less than a criminal act whose perpetuators have never been brought to justice. In it's place we have a tatty multi-storey car park, the demolition of which is in itself long overdue.
Yes it is in Accy, I have the printers next door and we've got an Accy address.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-08-2011, 17:42   #92
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Black Bull was a Thwaites house. as was the Australian.
Doh
Old 11-08-2011, 20:46   #93

After Clarksons tyres, the Red Lion, for a few years, became a furniture shop. I can't remember its name. This would be 1972'ish.
Did PV Tubes have another shop on Abbey St. facing the Post Office?
According to a mate of mine that big tyre was one of the most comfortable beds he'd ever slept in, single and double.
T
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 21:19   #94
Senior Member+

Yes, the Oak Tree is/was numbered 438 Blackburn Rd Accrington. Mi dad's ghost walks around it.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 21:42   #95
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetti View Post
After Clarksons tyres, the Red Lion, for a few years, became a furniture shop. I can't remember its name. This would be 1972'ish.
Did PV Tubes have another shop on Abbey St. facing the Post Office?
According to a mate of mine that big tyre was one of the most comfortable beds he'd ever slept in, single and double.
T
Don't remember it ever being a furniture shop, it was PVtubes for quite a while, this has been mentioned on another thread.
The shop facing the Post Office, I think its Cryers, has been selling Tele's for a long while, had the same name as long as I can remember.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 21:46   #96
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Don't remember it ever being a furniture shop, it was PVtubes for quite a while, this has been mentioned on another thread.
The shop facing the Post Office, I think its Cryers, has been selling Tele's for a long while, had the same name as long as I can remember.
Retlaw.
was Ken Cleggs, who used to be on Bull Bridge before Cryer took it oer i think, me cousin who is my age, has worked yon since he left school.
Old 11-08-2011, 21:51   #97
Senior Member+

Hey, you just beat me to it Cashy! I didnt even know it was now called Cryers to be honest. I still think of it as Ken Clegg's, who once used to be on Bull Bridge, on the block between The Black Bull and Union Street.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 22:01   #98
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hey, you just beat me to it Cashy! I didnt even know it was now called Cryers to be honest. I still think of it as Ken Clegg's, who once used to be on Bull Bridge, on the block between The Black Bull and Union Street.
Yep next door to the newsagents.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:31   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
was Ken Cleggs, who used to be on Bull Bridge before Cryer took it oer i think, me cousin who is my age, has worked yon since he left school.
Is your cousin called Dave cashy? in fact that shop has now closed, I used to buy all my TV equipment from Cryers, until they ripped me of about 5 years ago, I now use Harry Garlick
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32   #100
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Is your cousin called Dave cashy? in fact that shop has now closed, I used to buy all my TV equipment from Cryers, until they ripped me of about 5 years ago, I now use Harry Garlick
no n it aint closed was in it a couple of weeks ago.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:46   #101
Senior Member+

I read a 1929 Observer yesterday. The Chief Constable's report to the Brewster ( Licensing) Sessions.....There are 103 licensed premises in Acc :- 44 innkeepers,29 Beerhouses (on) , 21 beerhouses (off),5 others (off) Population is 43,595 which is one premises per 423 citizens. 38 prosecuted for various licensing offences such as drunk & disorderly. 22 registered clubs of which Spring Hill WMC had biggest membership -732

Only licence not renewed was the Oak Tree in Abbey St and a separate hearing took place in March to hear police objections.It was a Dutton's hoiuse, one of five they had in the immediate vicinity. They had owned it for 50yrs. 20yrs previously they had survived a police objection. Now police said it was in poor state of repair and sanitary arrangements were poor. .It had a bar parlour,tap room, snug,billiard room, 2 cellars, 2 club rooms and a piano room. It was selling 4 barrels (of 36 galls = 288pints)
The Red Lion was 31yds away Within 100yds there were 3 fully licensed houses, within 220 yards there were 9 fully licensed, 6 beer houses and 2 off-licences.
The licence was revoked and put forward for compensation. The tenant licensee was Mr Hamer, who had had it for less than a year.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:50   #102
Resting in Peace

Quote:
no n it aint closed was in it a couple of weeks ago.
Was shut and empty last Wednesday
Old 12-08-2011, 09:53   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was shut and empty last Wednesday
they dont open wednesdays yeh dummy.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:25   #104
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Nice picture here Cashy

Black Bull.JPG
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:50   #105
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Nice picture here Cashy

Attachment 18216
Cheers fer that Jeff, happy days.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..