Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 22:34   #121
I am Banned

Re: Old Pubs

[quote=Tealeaf;925932]But that's exactly it, Walter - the dates. This stuff is all the later part of the 18C/early 19th -
Those routes I quoted were the old routes into Old Accy. The dates I gave are when those old highways were eventually made into proper roads.
Those routes must have been well used for them to have been made up, practically every river has a ford or a bridge some where along its route.
Tha lives nearer to public record office than what I do, go and have a look.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2011, 22:44   #122
I am Banned

I have no doubt that wagons and private coaches stopped at and used the Bull; but my guess is their main travelling guests would have been sheep rovers and the like.[/quote]
Cattle & sheep drovers were more likely to bed down near their stock, on common land, than stay in places like the Bull or the Bay Horse.

Retlaw.
Old 12-08-2011, 22:49   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I've never heard the term 'grain court' but it might have had something to do with the corn mill just across the road in Hyndburn Rd, then called Hagg Lane.

I too think that 'coaching inn' can be a term which takes in horse-drawn travel of any sort. It could have been the reason why a farrier /blacksmith was just around the corner from The Bull. I think that the name Bull Brtidge is still visible in the wall of the old bridge somewhere near the car park entrance, pout there buy the County Council c 1890, but it is likely, certainly possible, that there was a bridge there before that, and before a bridge there would be just a ford. It could be said that this was the very centre of Accrington in (say) 1700
I bought a fantastic book a few weeks ago in a Charity Shop called "The Accrington Old Water Corn Mill - it's History and Owners"

Really interesting read about the Corn Mill and it's surroundings
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 22:50   #124
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

now that does sound interesting anzac.
Old 12-08-2011, 22:58   #125
God Member

Talking about mills, this piccy cropped up the other day on the Homebase site. Am I the only one that sees an outline of a waterwheel on the old building on the right:

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...uct-10635.html

It's the piccy on the left...the links have gone to pot.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 12-08-2011 at 23:01.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 00:07   #126
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Talking about mills, this piccy cropped up the other day on the Homebase site. Am I the only one that sees an outline of a waterwheel on the old building on the right:

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...uct-10635.html

It's the piccy on the left...the links have gone to pot.
Is this what your on about.
were is this ? ( 123456)
Retlaw.
Old 13-08-2011, 08:16   #127
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i was always told in 60s the "Bull" was n old "Grain Court" whatever that was, twas the landlord Ken Green that told me, in recent times i have been told it was not, so aint a sodding clue.
Was he any relation to Ted Green who had what is now the Bees Knees cashy
Old 13-08-2011, 09:06   #128
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was he any relation to Ted Green who had what is now the Bees Knees cashy
Nah, dont reckon so, this guy was pretty clever. was a member of the "Magic Circle"
Old 13-08-2011, 09:25   #129
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nah, dont reckon so, this guy was pretty clever. was a member of the "Magic Circle"
Ya mean he used to make your wage disappear every week cashy
Old 14-08-2011, 15:37   #130
Senior Member+

There are some cracking photos in the book 'Industry & Prudence' ; a lan for Accrington (1950) including ones of the Australian & the Olde Black Bull (p86) and The Warner Arms when it had a shop alongside it on the Church St side -now part of the pub. (p109) There's one which might have been taken from the front door of the Black Bull (p63) One just catches the Abbey (p52). I think there's one wjhch shows the side of the Arden and the name of the Blackburn Brewing Company(?) on it but I cannot now find it. There's also a drawing - very scarce this - of Bank Brewery (p18)
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 15:59   #131

That was another book I bought a couple of weeks ago in The British Heart Foundation Shop in Accrington - really interesting book full of wonderful old photographs
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..