Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-06-2010, 19:30   #1
Junior Member+

Old Pubs

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me. Did their used to a pub situated accross the road from the petrol station on Abbey St (Next to the Swan.
jo jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-06-2010, 22:06   #2
God Member

Re: Old Pubs

Can't help with your question, have noticed the more helpful AccyWeb members have answered tho.
Welcome to AccyWeb tho
Old 19-06-2010, 22:25   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass View Post
Can't help with your question, have noticed the more helpful AccyWeb members have answered tho.
Welcome to AccyWeb tho
don't ya dare call me helpful accylass, get me a good name.

Last edited by Mick; 20-06-2010 at 04:57.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 22:28   #4
God Member

Oh it's ok Cashy... they may even have the pleasure of meeting you one day and finding out for themselves
Old 19-06-2010, 23:28   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo jo View Post
Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me. Did their used to a pub situated accross the road from the petrol station on Abbey St (Next to the Swan.
Short answer is NO.
Starting at Adelaide St, going along Abbey St towards the Post Office there is the Swan, entrance to Swan Yard, then the New Jerusalem Church, then two shops, entrance to Brigg's Yard, another shop, then set back 6 or so feet were 3 more little shops, then the Oak Tree Inn on the corner with Birtwistle St. All demolished except the Swan.
Where that petrol station is you refer to, stood the Wesley Chapel and School.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 19-06-2010 at 23:31.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 07:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Short answer is NO.
Starting at Adelaide St, going along Abbey St towards the Post Office there is the Swan, entrance to Swan Yard, then the New Jerusalem Church, then two shops, entrance to Brigg's Yard, another shop, then set back 6 or so feet were 3 more little shops, then the Oak Tree Inn on the corner with Birtwistle St. All demolished except the Swan.
Where that petrol station is you refer to, stood the Wesley Chapel and School.

Retlaw.
Sorry Retlaw I think the answer is yes, the question refers to "across the road from the Swan", I'm sure there's one of those Brown Acorn signs on the building across the junction from the Chinese that indicates that building was a Toll House and if I'm correct possibly a pub. Apologies if I'm wrong.
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 09:12   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
don't ya dare call me helpful accylass, get me a good name.
Doesn't sit too well does it cashy "Cashman Good Samaritan "
Old 20-06-2010, 14:06   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
Sorry Retlaw I think the answer is yes, the question refers to "across the road from the Swan", I'm sure there's one of those Brown Acorn signs on the building across the junction from the Chinese that indicates that building was a Toll House and if I'm correct possibly a pub. Apologies if I'm wrong.
Here is the question again

I stand by may answer which was NO, there was NO other pub next to the Swan.
The buildings in that part of Abbey st were as in my original reply.
Retlaw.
Old 20-06-2010, 17:46   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

think the existing petrol station before the swan was being referred too.
Old 20-06-2010, 19:47   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
think the existing petrol station before the swan was being referred too.
Now youv'e got me confused.
When you say before the Swan, before what,
before the Swan was built there was no such thing as petrol. Would the original questioner like to state exactly where the pub he refers to is, most pubs in Abbey St are on a corner with another street, so where in Abbey street are you refering
Retlaw.
Old 20-06-2010, 19:51   #11
God Member

Well I read it as he/she wanted to know if there was a pub across from the petrol station on Abbey St, he/she only mentioned the Swan to let you know which petrol station they meant (even though its not really next door to it)
There is the Arden but I suspect he/she means on the block where PV Tubes was or the next one (heading towards town)

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 21:25   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Now youv'e got me confused.
When you say before the Swan, before what,
before the Swan was built there was no such thing as petrol. Would the original questioner like to state exactly where the pub he refers to is, most pubs in Abbey St are on a corner with another street, so where in Abbey street are you refering
Retlaw.
nah mate the garage situated before the swan on abbey st. if ya read the thread, i said where the pub was. it can be murder getting exact locations on a post on net, so can understand were yer coming from. not this thread tother un in questions, this was in introductions, but has been moved here, which confuses even more. P.M.S.L.

Last edited by cashman; 20-06-2010 at 21:27.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 22:06   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
nah mate the garage situated before the swan on abbey st. if ya read the thread, i said where the pub was. it can be murder getting exact locations on a post on net, so can understand were yer coming from. not this thread tother un in questions, this was in introductions, but has been moved here, which confuses even more. P.M.S.L.
Now you and I are a bit clearer on what we mean. I was describing Abbey St from Adelaide St to Birtwistle St.
That petrol station your refering to in Abbey St is now owned by Tesco, its occupying the land where Briggs Yard and the Oak Tree in used to be.
Trouble with some of the posters they think what is there now has always been there, and have trouble thinking otherwise.

Retlaw.
Old 20-06-2010, 22:20   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Now you and I are a bit clearer on what we mean. I was describing Abbey St from Adelaide St to Birtwistle St.
That petrol station your refering to in Abbey St is now owned by Tesco, its occupying the land where Briggs Yard and the Oak Tree in used to be.
Trouble with some of the posters they think what is there now has always been there, and have trouble thinking otherwise.

Retlaw.
yep thats true, but nowt new fer me to get a bit confused.
Old 21-06-2010, 08:51   #15
Resting In Peace

Possibly thinking about the Red Lion ?
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..