Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2007, 05:38   #1
Senior Member+

One Last Pint ?

14 million pints of beer a day less now being served the lowest since the 1930 s and they still say its not due to the smoking ban
anybody got any ideas as to why ??

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2007, 06:21   #2
God Member

Re: One Last Pint ?

Not enough pubs to serve it in now - they've either shut or opened up as Indian restaurants

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 07:17   #3
God Member

Supermarkets sell it in cans at below cost price

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 07:20   #4

Rather just buy a crate of 24 for a tenner lol
Old 20-11-2007, 07:26   #5
God Member

More and more people will do their socalising at home or at friends houses due to the smoking and the savings on the price of alchohol at supermarkets.
Old 20-11-2007, 09:14   #6
Senior Member+

because more people drink wine, spirits and alcopops.............

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 10:09   #7
Senior Member+

i would take a wild guess and say that the money is now being spent on rent or paying their morgage, council tax , over taxed fuel, can anyone actually afford to be drinking now
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 12:44   #8
God Member

Our sales at the off licence have picked up since the smoking ban but whether that is a coincidence or not, is anybody's guess!
AccyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 18:33   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
because more people drink wine, spirits and alcopops.............
This, to me, is the correct explanation .. becoming more sophisticated and cash rich.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 13:21   #10
Senior Member+

and i thought you lived in clayton
the late shops full of the cash rich LOL

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 13:27   #11
God Member

I think it IS due to the smoking ban. Who wants to be stood outside in -2 and raining, then sitting in wet clothes??

It is much nicer to have a drink at home, with friends, in front of a nice warm fire. And your bed is never far away, this way

And yes, as has been mentioned, the cost is far easier on the purse to nip to Asda and get your beers there.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 15:41   #12
white rabbits

Christmas will be a telling point,,,,,,,i dont think there will be as many parties etc in pubs,, i think they will be held in peoples houses,,,CHEAPER AS WELL..
Old 22-11-2007, 18:20   #13
God Member

We have the same thing happening here ... and surprisingly it hapened just after the smoking ban came in. And sales at the beer stores and the liquor stores are up. We also lost some bars, one of the biggest in town, The Iron Horse Saloon, (a C&W bar) shut up shop very soon after the ban. .... put a few people out of work.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 18:27   #14
Resting in Peace

Its down to the smoking ban... I don't go out the same these day's its better and cheaper to stay home.... plus I can't trust my mobile to get me home... its gets drunk and lost in the taxi: ( Yes I lost my mobile last weekend) and no one handed it in....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2007, 18:56   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechy View Post
and i thought you lived in clayton
the late shops full of the cash rich LOL
Well, yeh Beechy ... lots of booze being bought there on a Friday night .. in large packs too.

Think a culmination of all the above, smoking ban won't stop me from going for a good night out, even though a little aggravating to say the least.

Just wondered also if anything to do with changing times. In the 1930's, (particularly us up North) not many women frequented pubs/working men's clubs .. was the men that went there after work for a couple and weekend afternoons. They tended to drink nothing but beer. Now, we women are a little more wise to this male bonding and more pressure has been brought on you fellas to actually come home after work, not spend half the afternoons in the pubs, and when you go out ... WE ARE COMING WITH YA' !! to see that you don't overstep the mark

Beechy's question was just about beer ... does this include lager, as lots of lads now drink this nat's p*ss ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..