Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2003, 07:37   #16
Senior Member+

Post Street names

Just dashing to work, but will be back.  Paxton is something to do with The Great Exhibition in the mid 1800's, will sort that one for you.   Nuttall is named after the owner of the land.
Be back later though.
Atarah

Hey, who is pinching stuff of my site?  :-)  Will tell you more about old Steiner when I come home.

Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-10-2003, 10:42   #17
Senior Member+

Post HORIGINS OF STREET NAMES

Hi, here are some answers to questions from earlier.  Of course, no one knows for sure the real explanation of our local street names.  Some are obvious, but some will just have to be guesswork.

RUSSELL ST - "May" be named after Lord John Russell, Prime Minister, who daughter married one of the local Peel family.

CHARTER ST - could be named after the granting of the charter to Accrington

PAXTON ST - Paxton was the designer for the Crystal Palace (Great Exhibition of 1851)

KNOWLMERE ST - Named after Knowlmere Hall, in the Ribble Valley, home of the Peel family of this area.

Hope this helps

PS  No. I did not know there are two Nuttall Streets here in Accy.  I dont think there are actually, cos I live in that area.  There USED to be a Robert Nuttall Street, but that is now Belfield Road.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:04   #18
God Member

Post Re: ORIGINS OF STREET NAMES

OK Atarah....here's one for you. Why was Church Lane (the part that goes up the hill) renamed Dill Hall Lane....and when?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:05   #19

i been told there is a nuttall street on the accrington map which is up burnley rd area
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:18   #20
Senior Member+

do you not mean nutter road happy one.
Old 03-10-2003, 13:53   #21

dont know but i know people  when coming here somtimes ring me from  burnley road and say they cant find my nuttall street
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 15:09   #22
Senior Member+

only know one nuttall street,near belfield road
Old 04-10-2003, 08:51   #23
Senior Member+

Willows lane, Exchange street.Slaidburn Drive now where did they all come from
Old 06-10-2003, 23:06   #24
Senior Member+

Hi Mik, Slaidburn Drive must  be named after the Lancashire village, as must Downham, Malham, Worston, Pendleton
As for Willows Lane  - must have been plenty of Willow Trees in the area when it was first constructed I guess)
Exchange Street, have racked my brains, but .... have to admit defeat on that one.  Sorry.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:22   #25

I know there used to be  a resovoir at the bottom of the coppice that now has houses on it, don't know any of the address but wondered if it was called anything like resovior drive or stuff like that? and yes I can't spell resovior!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 07:12   #26
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

;D  Mo Do you mean at the top of Avenue Parade?? If so. it's Pinewood Drive, Sprucewood, etc. No mention of the reservoir up there. :-*

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 07:17   #27

I used to live on Water street and got told it was called that because water used to run down from the coppice.  Anyone else hear that story?  Is it true?  Cos i have believed it all my childhood life  :-/
Dizzy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:26   #28
Caz
God Member

Re Exchange St - maybe there was a Corn Exchange there at one time. Anyone know?

Re Slaidburn - are there any other streets with place names around Slaidburn Drive?

What tends to happen a lot, particularly with newer estates is that they pick fairly generic groups of names & often they don't have any particular connection with the area, or any particular reason.

In Blackburn I lived on an estate which had Leicester, Worcester, Gloucester, Hereford etc.

Similar groups of streets in Clayton & Accy

Whether this is the case with Slaidburn I don't know.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:00   #29
Jo

When we lived on Lodge St as young kids, we used to play out on the Lodge, a grassy piece of spare land next to the carwash (think ther're houses there now.
Why was it called a lodge if their was no water in it? (suppose all the water was on water st, two streets across? ???
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 15:02   #30

No, you used to get to it from Burnley road, facing Huncoat
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..