Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2003, 15:10   #31
Jo

Post Re: ORIGINS OF STREET NAMES

Peel Park Avenue?
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-10-2003, 15:22   #32

no, no you kind of head up Burnley road and before you get to the roundabout, its off to the right hand side, at the bottom of the coppice. When we first went back to England they where just building them
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 17:53   #33
Resting in Peace

[quote author=Roy link=board=qanda;num=1064959964;start=0#4 date=10/01/03 at 00:13:53]This one has always puzzled me atarah:

Blackburn Road???

No, but really how about Russia Street?

[/quote]
There is also India st and China st, Holland st,Rutland st
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 21:42   #34
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Littlemo, You mean off burnley road. That area is now Foxwood chase, Deerpark, Squirrels close. Funnily enough, just down the road from there is the Nuttall Street that happyone was talking about. It's a tiny street and I'm not sure if anyone lives on it, but it is definately called Nuttall street. ;D

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 23:18   #35

thanx lettie i thought i was going nuts  all the people was saying there was one down there   ;D
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 23:20   #36

big  applaud for that  ;D lettie
happyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:27   #37

WHAT ABOUT MONK STREET?
colidascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:52   #38
Jo

Oh yeah, I know exactly where you mean now, Littlemo. My mum and dad live just further up. didn't the little road you're talking about that links Burnley Rd to the coppice have a big pig sty on it? My dad used to muck out there as a lad.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:05   #39

so basically it's not been named after a resovoir then! anyone on here live round there...do you see foxes chasing squirrels?...any deers round there then?
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:49   #40
Jo

It's called Foxwood Chase because a "Fox would" chase squirrels there if it could, but it couldn't cos there was a resevoir there and now there are houses.
So it does make sense really!  ;D
Old 08-10-2003, 16:01   #41
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

There is also Badgers close on there I think, and despite going there regularly since it was built to visit mums and babies, I have never seen any kind of wildlife. I know there are plenty of sqirrels up the coppice, as my dog chases them regularly, and I have also come across deer up there on 2 occasions ( usually around 6-7am ish) There was probably loads of local wildlife there at some stage, but it will have moved on, when building started. :-/

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2004, 16:45   #42

How did Tampits Road,Church get its name?
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2004, 20:22   #43

Think it is Tanpits George which could suggest they did some Tanning in a Pit dusta think ?
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2004, 08:32   #44
God Member

What I find odd is why the Tanpits pub, after being closed for 5 years or so, reopened as the "Plough". Whats the point? It's not as though it's been specifically rebranded by one of the big pub retailers.....I just don't understand it.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2004, 09:42   #45

As a lad growing up in Church, I can remember many things and they way of life that has sadly gone forever.

Back in 1947/8 when as a small child, I lived in Oswald Street in Church, and my dad use to take me to the Tanpits (where the Pioneer Club now stands), where there was, amongst other things, a blacksmith and on the street there were tanners (the name of them was always Tann Pits), where hides were actually tanned. The whole area stank of old tallow, rancid fat, and horses.
That, I suppose is why it was called The Tanpits, and the Pub reflected the local tanners name.

I can vividly remember that there was also a Tannery or tallow works over Bridge Street near to Chambers Weaving Mill, where my dad took me on Saturday morning where they had bricked-off areas (Tan Pits) full of bits of hides and old stinking tallow. The place was full of rats, and they were about to have a massive "Rat-hunt".

About 40 or 50 spectators were there and about a dozen or so "Rat-Killers". They had Ratting Dogs, Ferrets, Shot Guns and big Staves of wood to destroy the rats.. All the kids and women were told to climb aboard a Trailer about 20 yards from the Tan Pits.

They first sent in the Ferrets, and then the little ratting Terriers. The whole area (about 3 Yds by 10 Yds) actually began to vibrate and rise-up as if an underground explosion had occurred. Then the rats came out of every crook and nanny and the men fired their shot guns at them or beat them with staves of wood. It was like a scene out of Dantes Inferno with small fires around the "Pits" belching smoke and flames to retain the escaping rats in the "killing" area.

As a little kid I was terrified and the girls screamed and screamed. There were rats everwhere. This went on for about 10 minutes, but felt like 2 hours. Then some of the dogs came out with rats in their mouths, and others waited outside small holes for other rats to make a run for it.

I don't know how many rats they killed but it must have been in the hundreds.

Finally my dad carried me home as I didn't want to walk, because I was frightened that a rat would bite me.

But this memory remains as vivid as the day it happened, and I was only about 3 or 4 years old. I didn't go down the Tanpits for many a week after that, and kept to playing on the "Injun Bed" on which the new school (Sacred Heart Primary) was later built.

The tanpits were closed down shortly afterwards, and the blacksmiths also disappeared. But the smell remained for a long time.

Last edited by Darby; 21-01-2004 at 09:44.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..