Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2004, 10:36   #46
God Member

The smells still there......or at least the glue factory on Bridge Street still is & depending the wind and what they're producing the smell can be awful.

However, I don't think they go in for Rat massacres these days.....I must admit, I'd never heard of that one before.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2004, 19:33   #47

My late mother was born in Church and her working days were spent at steiners my grandfather was groomsman to the steiner familyalso among his duties was bellringing at church kirk and for his loyalty and service when he retired he was given one of the one up one down almhouses facing the queens hotel I remember going in the green grocers across the road owned then by a family called caple later in life I became friendly with there son kenneth who became a inspector with the manchester police force and was involved in the moors murders for which he got a commendation my mothers family were called Parr she had two brothers Wilf and Jack who unfortunely died in his twenties and one sister
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2004, 20:10   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
My late mother was born in Church and her working days were spent at steiners my grandfather was groomsman to the steiner familyalso among his duties was bellringing at church kirk and for his loyalty and service when he retired he was given one of the one up one down almhouses facing the queens hotel I remember going in the green grocers across the road owned then by a family called caple later in life I became friendly with there son kenneth who became a inspector with the manchester police force and was involved in the moors murders for which he got a commendation my mothers family were called Parr she had two brothers Wilf and Jack who unfortunely died in his twenties and one sister
Small world and Church is even smaller.

I have a picture of my Granddad who was an electrician at Steiners at the turn of the 19/20th century. My mum once worked there in the 50's in the calico dept., and I use to wait for her to finish work at the end of the entrance at the bottom of Dill Hall.

I remember the almhouses opposite to the Queens Pub, it seemed a real pity to pull them down as they use to be kept ever so neat and smart. I didn't know that they were linked to Steiners.

Didn't know the Capel family, but I spent a lot of time in Church when I was a kid. Did you know the Houston Family...Bert his wife Mary and their kids Dave and Ann?? I'm sure they lived a bit further up Church Kirk Road near the Cross Guns. I still see Dave occasionally.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2004, 22:09   #49

[Keith] I remember those houses,my grandma lived in one of them next to the archway
I cannot remember your mother but i do know Wilf.He use to be manager of
Aneley's on Broadway.My dad also worked at steiners he was a bleacher before
and after the war,when he worked nights i had to go down at 10pm with his dinner
in a basin with a red hankerchief round it.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2004, 19:50   #50

to darby Sorry but only my grand parents lived in church and to be honest I was slightly scared of grandad parr he was very strict so I was never keen on visiting and I left it to my brothers to go but over the years I have been friendly with people from Church in fact I played alongside George walker yes George member on this forum with the Church Lads Brigade drum and bugle championship in accrington in fact half the band lived in church but I remember the name of one girl who lived in church but worked at a electric distributers shop up Abbey street and everyone in accrington fancied her but could not get near her I believed she lived on Lion street her name Betty birtwistle does that name ring any bells
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2004, 07:47   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
to darby Sorry but only my grand parents lived in church and to be honest I was slightly scared of grandad parr he was very strict so I was never keen on visiting and I left it to my brothers to go but over the years I have been friendly with people from Church in fact I played alongside George walker yes George member on this forum with the Church Lads Brigade drum and bugle championship in accrington in fact half the band lived in church but I remember the name of one girl who lived in church but worked at a electric distributers shop up Abbey street and everyone in accrington fancied her but could not get near her I believed she lived on Lion street her name Betty birtwistle does that name ring any bells
Sorry Keith...the name Betty Birtwistle doesn't ring any bells....maybe I was too young for girls at the time....or too old, and was otherwise occupied.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2004, 11:32   #52

betty birtwistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Sorry Keith...the name Betty Birtwistle doesn't ring any bells....maybe I was too young for girls at the time....or too old, anwise
ccupied.
re,betty birtwistle.Keith,i remember betty birtwistle and her brother barth.
their father use breed birds.Yes you are right they did live on lion st,her
brother i know is dead.He was manager at EJ Rileys,for long time.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 09:47   #53
Senior Member+

Re: ORIGINS OF STREET NAMES

This thread has been dormant for twelve years, though there have been others which are sort of linked to it.......About thirty years ago, the staff in Accrington library started a card index in which the reason for the names of streets in the town was explained. Since then the reasons for the origins of the street names has been added to the index, mostly by Atarah Hindle and myself. The cards are kept in a wooden filing cabinet in the local studies (upstairs) room, In recent times, Robert Cunliffe has transferred the information on them to a digital database and this too is available in the library on a memory stick. Soon it is hoped that it will be available on the internet. When this happens, I will report about it on here
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 18:55   #54
Senior Member+

Re: ORIGINS OF STREET NAMES

Not really true Bob, as you now know. The card index in the library was started off by a member of this website and then added to by staff members.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..