Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 12:59   #1

Outside lavatory

Hello,

I am doing some research for a BBC One documentary about toilets, and am looking for people who still use an outside lavatory.

I have come across a couple of elderly people in the area who have never seen the need to install an indoor WC, and wonder if anyone knows of any others.

If you can help point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. Please call me on 020 7378 6106, or email [email protected]. For more information about the company, visit our website: www.centuryfilmsltd.com

Many thanks,
Kathryn
century is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2006, 14:10   #2
God Member

Re: Outside lavatory

No problem about this one, Kathryn - there are thousands of people in Accy who still use an outside loo. I suspect that you have visited this website because several years ago the Borough of Hyndburn was listed as containing the highest propotion of external loos in the country. I believe that the proportion has declined substancially, given that much of the older, sub-standard housing stock has now been demolished.

However, we still like to keep to our great traditions and thus you will see plenty of people using an outside bog every friday and saturday night in Accy town centre; these days the people improvise - shop entrances, the Churchyard, the pub wall, etc. It seems to be a rather enjoyable experiance for many.

Just looking at your website, I notice you are located not too far away from the George, off Borough High St. As you are probably aware, this pub has one of central London's last remaining outside loos, but for men only. I think you should complain in the strongest possible terms about this blatant sexism.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 09-11-2006 at 14:19.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 18:18   #3
Senior Member+

who would want an outside loo at this time of year? you would get ice on your unmentionables!!! (forget it )

I remember having an outside loo when i was little i also remember my dad removing the outside loo with a hammer smashing it to bits before taking it down to the local tip! best place for em i say....
Old 09-11-2006, 18:22   #4

I used an outside loo when I was little at my babysitters on Orange Street, cant belive how that was once the norm!!
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 18:59   #5
Resting in Peace

Guess you still at the 'bottom' of your career ladder yet Century

Tealeaf seemed to have summed up what you looking for .

Have no recent experience, didn't think anybody still had them around here .. except the ones that still kept them, as we did, after having inside loos installed, as an 'overflow' in emergency. Although, did have one of course, in my younger years, my mum always said they really should be outside for health reasons .. mmmm maybe ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 19:20   #6
I am Band

Wink Re: Outside lavatory

These harsh Northern winters are a right bitch, I can tell you. It is no fun sitting there on the khazi, wallowing in one's own fumes, whilst a freshly laid steaming turd melts its way through 2 inches of ice and permafrost.
I would rather take my chances with the dunny-spiders, out in Australia. At least it would be warm, whilst sat there contemplating the centre-fold, in my copy of the Daily Sport, or whatever salacious local rag I could lay my hands on.

Give me a chamberpot any day. You only need to step outside into the cold once a week to empty it, when it is brim-full to overflowing!

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 09-11-2006 at 19:28. Reason: Whilst I still have the chance. I blame Madhatter for removal of the edit function!!!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 19:24   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
These harsh Northern winters are a right bitch, I can tell you. It is no fun sitting there on the khazi, wallowing in one's own fumes, whilst a freshly laid steaming turd melts its way through 2 inches of ice and permafrost.

Give me a chamberpot any day. You only need to step outside into the cold once a week, to empty it, when it is brim-full to overflowing!
Did you have to be so graphic Sparky ... haven't had me tea yet ..
Old 09-11-2006, 20:45   #8
God Member

Oh dear what can the matter be
I aint been ta the Lavatory
Since 2 weeks 2 weeks last Saturday
I know whats hiding out there.

I remember my gran having an outside toalie collector and hated it. I didnt even realise that there were still some in use, and as they are is there an eleccy supply for lights and heating so to avoid the problems Sparkologist mentioned?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 20:51   #9
God Member

My Nan had an outside loo it was awful, hard toilet paper as well! Dont know of anyone with one now though.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 21:03   #10
God Member

Given the number is a London one perhaps there's an element of typical southern views of the North here. We still have gas lamps and tipplers, wear clogs to work and take our whippets out for a walk on the cobbles at night whilst breathing in the belching smoke from all the factory chimneys.
Old 09-11-2006, 21:11   #11
Passed away 25-11-09

I had an elderly aunt who had an outside loo and one in her bathroom. She preferred to use the outside one for, how shall I put it, "solid matters" as she thought it was more hygenic - being nearer the ground. Mind you, she also wouldn't have a telephone in the house as she was quite sure they leaked electricity all over the place.
Old 09-11-2006, 21:49   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
Given the number is a London one perhaps there's an element of typical southern views of the North here. We still have gas lamps and tipplers, wear clogs to work and take our whippets out for a walk on the cobbles at night whilst breathing in the belching smoke from all the factory chimneys.
Good point Lancsdave .. are we being patronised? can't see her putting this up on the Westminster Web or Notting Hill Web. ...

Don't despair though Century, sure lots on here will only be willing to help ya'
Old 10-11-2006, 05:57   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender
Mind you, she also wouldn't have a telephone in the house as she was quite sure they leaked electricity all over the place.
reminds of the story about the woman who rang the gas board when North Sea gas was introduced, she wanted to know if the house would be flooded if her pilot light went out
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46   #14
God Member

My mum still has one and occasionally I believe still uses it to save running upstairs.

I remember using it as a nipper, we didn't have central heating so you were just used to the cold and didn't think about it. (My bedroom used to get ice on the inside of the window!)

Now we are all softies who would rather go bankrupt owing thousands to teh power companies than turn it down or, heaven forbid , off!!!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:59   #15
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Although, did have one of course, in my younger years, my mum always said they really should be outside for health reasons .. mmmm maybe ?

My Gran used to say that too. She was also horrified at the idea of having a washing machine - no good could come of it in her view with electricity in such close proximity to water! I remember "possing" the clothes in her dolly tub! She had gas lighting and heating came from coal fires or a magnifcent kitchen range which was blackleaded and shone like a mirror. It also incorporated an oven and a thing for boiling the kettle over the fire.

The only outside lavvies I know of these days are the "additional" ones people have so they don't need to trail up to the bathroom if they are working in the garden and covered n muck'n'mud.

Just a thought in relation to the actual serious question - presuably people who have to endure the outside loo have not been able to afford to put in a bathroom and are therfore extremely unlikely to be able to afford a PC and t'internet.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..