Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-03-2009, 18:18   #16
God Member

Re: Ower Father, who art in Heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Punctuation Gayle whats that
those little marks you put on a page that show where to pause and where not too and where to stop and whether or not you are asking a question of giving a command or just running off at the mouth at a great pace and confusing people who are too drunked up of wasted to put in the natural pauses that seem to be implied by the meaning and the context of what is being said and there are also the big letters and the little ones that are sometimes called upper case and lower case which are terms that come from printing usually with hand compositing which was often done by compositors who were semi literate like the guy who composited merchant of venice but it doesn't matter if it is finnegan's wake
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-03-2009, 18:20   #17
God Member

Oops that should be "finnegans" and "doesnt".
Old 25-03-2009, 18:22   #18
God Member

We sometimes get posts like that here. I tend to lose patience part way through reading them, and skip to the next post.
So if you want to make a point, please punctuate.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 18:58   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR
We sometimes get posts like that here. I tend to lose patience part way through reading them, and skip to the next post.
So if you want to make a point, please punctuate.
Have a read at this Margaret. I posted it ages ago but you may not have seen it.

The Importance of Correct Punctuation
-unknown

Dear Garinda,
I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy--will you let me be yours?
Margaret

Dear Garinda,
I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?
Yours,
Margaret

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 19:06   #20
God Member

Dear Gary,
He or she wasn't quoting me. He was just illustrating a point.

Last edited by MargaretR; 25-03-2009 at 19:12.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 19:09   #21
God Member

There is an example from an oracular prediction given to a king going off to war.
The prediction: "Ibo redibus nunquam in bello peribis" (sorry my Latin is rough and rusty) which means something like "you will go you will return never in war will you perish." Depending on how you punctuate it, it can mean two entirely different things. The king interpreted it in a positve way; went off to war; was defeated and killed.
Old 25-03-2009, 19:38   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR
He or she
The wife says it.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 20:03   #23
God Member

My accent and dialect are almost completely gone ... I lived in Saskatchewan for about fifteen years, and Brits are as rare as trees in the prairies; so, I guess I just slipped into the lingo without noticing it. I can still make sense of dialect poetry, but some of the slang confuses me ... one thing I did discover tho' was why, in Lancashire, "who" is often substituted for "she".
Old 25-03-2009, 20:15   #24
God Member

I remember having a chuckle whilst in Birmingham a few years ago, I was interested to hear someone say 'the neighbours are having it off again!' which, in Birmingham, of course means 'having a row/tiff'
Old 26-03-2009, 10:39   #25
Resting in Peace

Re: Our Father, who art in Heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I don't think there is any set way to spell dialect words that have not been accepted in the Oxford dictionary. Just the way interested parties have translated them into the written word from the sound. So anything goes as far as I am concerned.

It's so easy to put down the sound in your head when answering on a forum, I do it quite a lot.

Am waiting for someone to write 'chimley' for chimney...

Wonder/wander is a common error(Mick does it ... LOL). Sure he knows the difference.
Just heard that google, with a small G, is now in the concisest English dictionary.
Old 27-03-2009, 06:20   #26
Resting in Peace

Re: Our Father, who art in Heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just heard that google, with a small G, is now in the concisest English dictionary.
Well the word has been around a long time,I remember a hit record in the 60's by the Nashville Teens called Google Eye.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 11:46   #27
God Member

Funny article in the Guardian today about Regional English.

A few words that they credited to Lancashire that I hadn't heard.

The G2 guide to regional English | UK news | The Guardian

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 14:41   #28

I commonly say "Stop fleckin'" if someone is scratching themselves. Someone I know from the Potteries area thought I'd made the word up!!

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 16:15   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Funny article in the Guardian today about Regional English.

A few words that they credited to Lancashire that I hadn't heard.

The G2 guide to regional English | UK news | The Guardian
Sounds like a load of Tethera-Bumpit to me Gayle
Old 27-03-2009, 16:17   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchman phil View Post
I commonly say "Stop fleckin'" if someone is scratching themselves. Someone I know from the Potteries area thought I'd made the word up!!
Used to remember an old Irish bloke saying what the feck are you doing

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..