Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2009, 17:28   #1
Give, give, give member

Ower Father, who art in Heaven.

Sadly I had a dream about Accy Web last night.

In my dream I was told off by Gayle, for keep posting 'are' when I mean 'our. It might have been that Gayle was my dream girl because we play Scrabble so much, I don't really know. Still it makes a change from dreaming about running a shoe designing business in Italy with Lily, an Accy Webber I've never met...except in my industrious slumbers.

I do keep writting 'are' instead of 'our'. I usually see it and manage to edit those posts before the edit timer kicks in, but not always.

To say I read so much my spelling isn't that good, but I do try, and find Google a God send, when it asks 'do you mean...?', when you've posted an approximate spelling to the word you're looking for.

I've come to the conclusion I keep 'are'-ing, rather than 'our'-ing, because I pronounce them both the same way.

I think I one finger type what I'm dictating, silently though...and hopefully without my lips moving!

Although my accent is becoming stronger, living half my life away from Lancashire has affected my accent. I'm still definitely a 'keep off the grah-ss', rather than a 'grass-ss' sort of speaker. At a meeting today someone asked how long I'd lived up here, and rudely thought I was a southerner. I quickly put her right. My Lancashire roots may have been shaken by my wanderings, but they are still there, as strong as ever, even if the accent sadly isn't.

If my accents ever becomes so strong that I ask you over to 'ower house for a cuppa', then I'll never 'are' onstead of 'our' again. If in the meantime a few slip in, please forgive me.

Anymore amusing Lancashire dialect oddities?

I remember some people from Surrey we met on holiday years ago, looked most perplexed when we told them our waiter had been 'crammed' that morning.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2009, 18:12   #2
God Member

Re: Ower Father, who art in Heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I remember some people from Surrey we met on holiday years ago, looked most perplexed when we told them our waiter had been 'crammed' that morning.
I think you meant cramned

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 19:07   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

A colleague, years ago in Bury, talking on the phone to a company MD. She was putting on her best telephone voice, kept saying, "yahs" and "sahtainly", etc., when I heard her say, "Haokay then, Ay'll send you some jast in case you mate need them for owt."

Mind you, this was the lady who puzzled me when we went for a lunchtime drink one day. It took me a while to realise that she wasn't asking for chairs. She was saying, "cheers."
Old 24-03-2009, 19:12   #4
Passed away 25-11-09

Just had to add, I was despairing in Dunhelm Mill the other week. There was a printed sign saying, "Bedside cabinets - 3, 4 and 5 draws".
Old 24-03-2009, 19:15   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

If my accents ever becomes so strong that I ask you over to 'ower house for a cuppa',
Dusti mean:-

If my Lanky twang becomes o'er powerful that I asks "tha' ower t' r'ouse fer t' brew".

eh cock?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 20:21   #6
God Member

when i was seeing my ex Stuart about 6 years ago Reece and i where spending a couple of weeks down at his place in Towcester, one day when he was at work Reece and i nipped into the chemist near where he lived...i overheard the two ladies behind the counter going on about different accents and one said to the other 'have you heard the common accent that woman has on the fimbles' (she meant Jane Horrocks) i was deeply shocked by what she had said because Jane Horrocks was brought up in Rossendale, i duely marched over to the counter, and told both the women that 'that common woman' was from Lancashire, the same part of ENGLAND that i was from....needless to say, they looked rather embarrased as i marched out of the shop with my head held high and a huge grin on my face
Old 25-03-2009, 10:48   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I think you meant cramned
Has anyone else heard of the term crammed, or cramned, according to Margaret Rutherford ()?

I'm sure I once found it in a slang or Lancashire dialect dictionary, meaning grumpy, or bad tempered, but can find no reference to it now, under either spelling.

It's a term used a lot in our family...though never to describe me.

Old 25-03-2009, 10:50   #8
Resting in Peace

I used to reguraly get calls from CCO, and had to chastise the Person on the other end when they used to call Hyndburn, Hindburn, my usually thing was to say con yow not talk reet dane yon, that really put um in a spin
Old 25-03-2009, 11:03   #9
God Member

Neither Gary nor myself spelt it right
I found it here
The Dialect Dictionary - Lancashire Dialect - Cop Cooat Clog-merk Chump Chuntin Cram - Language your way
'cramnd'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 11:29   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I do keep writting 'are' instead of 'our'.
Two more commonly confused are where and were. They're both pronounced 'whirr' in this part of Lancashire.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 11:34   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Well done Miss Marple.

Old 25-03-2009, 11:50   #12
Caz
God Member

Quote:
Has anyone else heard of the term crammed, or cramned, according to Margaret Rutherford ()?

I'm sure I once found it in a slang or Lancashire dialect dictionary, meaning grumpy, or bad tempered, but can find no reference to it now, under either spelling.

It's a term used a lot in our family...though never to describe me.
In our family it's most often used to refer to little ones when they are grizzly.

One my gran used a lot was "his nibs." Is that Lancy or is it common everywhere?

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 13:01   #13
God Member

I'm far too polite to correct anyone's spelling. Although you've no idea how many times I'd like to.

Actually, spelling doesn't bother me quite as much as punctuation does.

PS - I'm very flattered to be in your dreams, and your spelling seems to be quite ok on Scrabble having beaten me quite a few times lately.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 16:28   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I'm far too polite to correct anyone's spelling. Although you've no idea how many times I'd like to.

Actually, spelling doesn't bother me quite as much as punctuation does.

PS - I'm very flattered to be in your dreams, and your spelling seems to be quite ok on Scrabble having beaten me quite a few times lately.
Punctuation Gayle whats that
Old 25-03-2009, 17:36   #15
Resting in Peace

I don't think there is any set way to spell dialect words that have not been accepted in the Oxford dictionary. Just the way interested parties have translated them into the written word from the sound. So anything goes as far as I am concerned.

It's so easy to put down the sound in your head when answering on a forum, I do it quite a lot.

Am waiting for someone to write 'chimley' for chimney...

Wonder/wander is a common error(Mick does it ... LOL). Sure he knows the difference.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..