Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 09:19   #1
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

paperboy/girl??

Does anyone know how much they pay for this?
my daughter is thinking about it, now thats shes 13, and wondered how much they pay, but you never seem to see them hardly anymore, and im concerned about her safety, do you think i should let her or its not worth it anyway?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12   #2
Senior Member+

Re: paperboy/girl??

I shouldnt think it pays too highly,but i think it varies from different newsagents.I'd buy her one of those hi-visibility jackets so she's easily seen.Try to find her a round as local as possible &,if you've time go round with her for the first few times or until she's confident enough to go on her own.Not only is it a bit of money but some exercise thrown in as well.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:18   #3
God Member

No idea how much it pays now. I beleive things have changed since I used to d it. They have to have a certificate from the education department now from what I have heard. Also used to start my round at 6.30am and the rules now state they cannot start until 7am.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:24   #4

if you can aford it make her do extra jobs to ern extra money not very nice on the streets anymore she might be better with a babysitting job
Old 07-06-2007, 15:33   #5
God Member

Let her do it if she wants to.I used to like doing my paper round when I was that age in the early 90s.If you worried about what might happen every time you went anywhere you'd end up worrying yourself stupid and being too scared to leave the house.She'll be fine.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 18:04   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
if you can aford it make her do extra jobs to ern extra money not very nice on the streets anymore she might be better with a babysitting job
i think shes too young to babysit, i wouldnt let a 13 year old look after my kids if they where younger
thanks for the idea though

i suppose i could always go with her on the paper round.........
Old 09-06-2007, 20:25   #7

I think a mate of mine got paid £15 a week for his round, but to be honest I tihnk that was a bit higher than the going rate 'cos he was in an area that was a more elderly population therefore lots of people needed it delivered and not many kids to do it.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 21:03   #8
Resident Waffler

I wouldn't let either of my daughters do a morning paper round when they were younger, just didn't fancy the idea of them going out alone in the dark on winter mornings. Now they are older I can't imagine them wanting to! They have to leave home at 8am to get to school anyway so I doubt they would have time to fit in a paper round. I suppose it all depends on how safe you feel the area is where you live.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 18:05   #9
God Member

Its about £12 a round, I used to babysit at her age and got £10 a night. The youngest was 2 and the oldest 9 at the time I think. Never had a single problem. I had a paper round and it wasnt worth the time it took so check that its not an overly long round like delivering the telegraph rather than a free local paper like the citizen.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 13:04   #10
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

thanks guys for the info
i think i'd be better off giving her the cash myself, in return of cleaning and doing chores, at least i would know where she is and is also safe
babysitting at that age, to me, is too young, maybe whens shes older.
Old 15-06-2007, 21:25   #11
Senior Member+

tell to do the citizen it is the same amount of papers she would do in a week but on a wednesday evening its about 300 papers you get about 30 quid.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 22:28   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
tell to do the citizen it is the same amount of papers she would do in a week but on a wednesday evening its about 300 papers you get about 30 quid.
I wasnt sure if they still did the citizen. My friend used to do that one too. The problem is that its one paper boy/girl in the one area so the chances of getting that job are slim
I wouldnt mind that one myself actually
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..