Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 14:39   #16
I am Banned

Re: Park Shed Mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
One of the things I remember about the war was the barrage balloon which was tethered by a thick cable at the side of Park Shed Mill just below Park Street.
The barrage balloon was sited on Broadway where the Arndale is now.
they didn't put barrage balloons so close together, and you need plenty of room to lower the thing, the area all round Park Shed was too built up.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-12-2012, 15:28   #17
Senior Member+

There were barrage balloons tethered to the top of the Coppice. A little lad (itr might have been Retlaw) saw them and told his dad that he didn't think they'd be much use. because a plane flying into them would just burst the balloon and fly on. His dad replied " We've thowt o'that an' filled 'em wi' concrete"
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:14   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
There were barrage balloons tethered to the top of the Coppice. A little lad (itr might have been Retlaw) saw them and told his dad that he didn't think they'd be much use. because a plane flying into them would just burst the balloon and fly on. His dad replied " We've thowt o'that an' filled 'em wi' concrete"
Getting a little sarky there Dobbo, any way it were your dad that told me they'd been filled with water, and there were 100's of them.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 19:25   #19
Senior Member+

I remember a barrage balloon flying from the big field next to the cemetery at the top of Dill Hall Lane. The concrete block it was tethered to was there for many years.
Funnily enough don't remember seeing any others over Accrington.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 20:59   #20
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I remember a barrage balloon flying from the big field next to the cemetery at the top of Dill Hall Lane. The concrete block it was tethered to was there for many years.
Funnily enough don't remember seeing any others over Accrington.
One on Whinney hill. not sure two or one n
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 16:43   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifco View Post
For a time when the weaving finished and Whitewell Dairies started using the mill part of the mill (I think the corner bounded by Park Street and Stanley Street) was used by Whitewell Ices, which was a breakaway from Whitewell Dairies. After a time the ice cream makers moved up to Clayton le Moors and Associated Dairies took over Whitewell Dairies.
I am pretty sure that the shop was in fact Whitewell Dairy shop and sold other products besides ice cream - that was there in '48 when I still lived in Oswald St.
The dairy was still Whitewell in '53 when i worked there during the summer holidays

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..