Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2005, 20:27   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Peel Park teacher Mr Ryan

I remember him. He was the headmaster when I was there but is was Hinchliffe not Hinchcliffe. I remember his being most specific about the way his name was spelt.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2005, 18:17   #32
Senior Member+

Well I'll be dammned I didn't know that is how he spelt his name lol!" - he used to live in a old house up Sandy Lane - now I wonder if that building still exists?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 18:38   #33
Resident Waffler

I haven't been up there for ages. I think it was round the end of Ascot Way area wasn't it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2005, 10:45   #34
Senior Member+

Yeh it was I don't know if it's still there - probably not!?
Old 22-01-2005, 10:23   #35

I remember Mr Dickinson oouuccchhh lol and Mr Rawlinson Mr Paris (Headmaster) Mrs Clarke theres a pic on my friends reunited page of the football team with Dickinson on it lol.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 19:35   #36
Senior Member+

Yeh I remember Mr Dickinson and then there was Mr Cox and I think Miss Jackson who got married back then and became a Mrs.
Old 09-02-2005, 18:55   #37

i remember the line, stood many an hour their, Remember mrs clifton who taught violin she lived at the bottom of avenue parade. she caught me sledging down the road on my violin case. mr gleaves sent me to put my pe shorts on and gave me 6 crackers in front of class 1. I also spent every break for a week on the line.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 19:08   #38

mr. hinchliffe's house is still there unfortunately he is dead now but i spoke to him whilst he was working in his gardeen not long before he died. he was a nice old man.
Old 09-02-2005, 19:31   #39
Beacon of light

Fireman, we were probably at Peel Park at the same time......I remember Miss Butterworth, Mr Gleaves, Miss Kay(who later became Mrs Phillips) Mrs Shaw,Mrs Clifton,Mr Heaton. Do you remember one of the pupils who played violin beautifully......her name was Vivian Ronchetti and she frequently played for morning assembly.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 19:35   #40

yes i do they never asked me toplay alone just with the others. mrs philips ended up a relative of mine when she became philips, i personally enjoyed peel park .
Old 09-02-2005, 19:40   #41
Beacon of light

I liked Peel Park too.......I was very sorry to leave.
Old 09-02-2005, 19:42   #42

where did you go to from peel park
Old 09-02-2005, 19:44   #43
Beacon of light

I lived in the Woodnook area so that was the natural place to go......left at 15......no qualifications, but made it up later in life......but it was hard.
Old 09-02-2005, 19:50   #44

i did the same went to hyndburn park left at 14 cause birthday in september then went to college etc and did ok
Old 09-02-2005, 19:59   #45
Beacon of light

Mr Hinchliffe told me that I wouldn't pass my 11+ and I didn't, I don't think I was ready for it. I left school the year that they started doing GCE's and one of the teachers at Woodnook asked my father to let me stay on at school to take some but he refused......said I had to go out to work.....so I did.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..