Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2010, 00:05   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Pennine Reach

Problem i can see with Double yellows on major bus routes is wi deliveries to local businesses, i encountered this stupidity when i lived n delivered in Blackpool, Traffic Wardens take no Prisoners.!
Old 25-05-2010, 00:09   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Problem i can see with Double yellows on major bus routes is wi deliveries to local businesses, i encountered this stupidity when i lived n delivered in Blackpool, Traffic Wardens take no Prisoners.!

...and all the side streets are already chock-a-block with parked cars now.

God only knows what it would be like if all the current parking spaces along the route are taken away.

Bus routes work perfectly well in cities, where there is room to have four lanes of traffic, and designated bus lanes.

There is not room on roads that were built when we had horses and carts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 00:09   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
So even though you 'could live without' the Pennine Route bus lanes. that would decimate hundreds of businesses along it's route, you'd have ignored that, because you'd have recieved a pot of dosh for a shiny new bus station?
I along with others argued that the two should never have been been linked.I don't make the decisions.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 00:12   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I along with others argued that the two should never have been been linked.I don't make the decisions.
But they were linked.

Accept the Pennine Reach, and receive funding for a new bus station.

I presume, for your posts, you accepted that as an offer?

Old 25-05-2010, 00:15   #35
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
But they were linked.

Accept the Pennine Reach, and receive funding for a new bus station.
Don't forget the other sweeteners. Car park in Ossy and the junctions in Clayton and Church sorting out as well
Old 25-05-2010, 00:17   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Quote:
...and all the side streets are already chock-a-block with parked cars now.

God only knows what it would be like if all the current parking spaces along the route are taken away.

Bus routes work perfectly well in cities, where there is room to have four lanes of traffic, and designated bus lanes.

There is not room on roads that were built when we had horses and carts.
What the hells that got to do wi what i said?
Old 25-05-2010, 00:21   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
What the hells that got to do wi what i said?

Er...nothing, other than I was clearly agreeing with you, because there'll be no parking along the entire route, and then adding a few more thoughts afterwards.

Old 25-05-2010, 00:22   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I would have thought there are major parts of Accrington that need money spending on them before spending money on a state of the art bus station just to give a good impression. The town centre itself is so spread out I can't figure out how anyone can decide which is the best place for a new bus station.

Out of curiosity what is 'state of the art' ? A roof and electronic timetables ?
Yes, part of it .. including toilets, good turning circles and decent access, with a little bit more room for those carbon emissions to escape.

You are only against it because you fear it will take trade away from your own business.

Of course, someone can always say "well, this needs doing and that needs doing" .. just this is the area of transport and not other areas.

Quote:
Why? cos apart from councillors yer on yer own?
As for you ... Sure I am not on my own with this one .. just the moaners that usually have their say on web sites: not always the supporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Peel Street was never a bus station before our old market was destroyed and as far as I'm concerned it still isn't. But to move the bus "stops" further out of town would certainly see off the rest of the local traders IMHO.
How about being sensible for a change??? Instead of building (or trying to) a bus lane why not get double yellows on all major bus routes?? Believe it or not there are lots of us who do use buses. It ain't rocket science on how to get traffic moving IMHO.
Further out of town !! Crawshaw Street is hardly that Bernie.. would have been about 100 metres to the Arndale .. can't get nearer than that.

Double yellow lines ?? Well ... that is the main objection, that nobody will have been able to park on this bus route. At least provisions were being made for parking in other areas. Mainly for private parking, by the way.

Quote:
A better use of money, and which would certainly speed traffic congestion, would be to have a traffic warden permenantly on duty on a certain stretch of Blackburn Road.

I know we go on about Blackburn Road Garinda. To be honest, I have never been held up once on this stretch due to congestion.

Well, I am sure you will all be smugly smiling by the cuts today by our coalition government ... 5% off Transport Departmental budget .. so that will stop us in our tracks of looking forward to happy motoring and improved public transport.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 00:23   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Er...nothing, other than I was clearly agreeing with you, because there'll be no parking along the entire route, and then adding a few more thoughts afterwards.

twas those added thoughts that threw me.
Old 25-05-2010, 00:23   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Don't forget the other sweeteners. Car park in Ossy and the junctions in Clayton and Church sorting out as well
Strange, how those two words are so very often linked.

Bribery and corruption.

Old 25-05-2010, 00:25   #41
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Strange, how those two words are so very often linked.

Bribery and corruption.

I did not mention either of those words
Old 25-05-2010, 00:28   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, part of it .. including toilets, good turning circles and decent access, with a little bit more room for those carbon emissions to escape.

You are only against it because you fear it will take trade away from your own business.

Of course, someone can always say "well, this needs doing and that needs doing" .. just this is the area of transport and not other areas.

As for you ... Sure I am not on my own with this one .. just the moaners that usually have their say on web sites: not always the supporters.

Further out of town !! Crawshaw Street is hardly that Bernie.. would have been about 100 metres to the Arndale .. can't get nearer than that.

Double yellow lines ?? Well ... that is the main objection, that nobody will have been able to park on this bus route. At least provisions were being made for parking in other areas. Mainly for private parking, by the way.

I know we go on about Blackburn Road Garinda. To be honest, I have never been held up once on this stretch due to congestion.

Well, I am sure you will all be smugly smiling by the cuts today by our coalition government ... 5% off Transport Departmental budget .. so that will stop us in our tracks of looking forward to happy motoring and improved public transport.
what a load of cack, if ya never been held up on blackburn rd is either porkies or ya dont use it regular at certain times. am sure no-one will be smiling smugly at ANY cuts, yer either boiled or losing it.
Old 25-05-2010, 00:28   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well if I'm fit I drive, I go into Accrington that way, on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to shop, and for the last six years I've been back there has always been cars parked their illegally. Every single journey.

Not a lie, as I don't see the point in those, or an exageration, but factual truth.

Old 25-05-2010, 00:31   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well if I'm fit I drive, I go into Accrington that way, on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to shop, and for the last six years I've been back there has always been cars parked their illegally. Every single journey.

Not a lie, as I don't see the point in those, or an exageration, but factual truth.
...and that does cause traffic congestion, because on some parts there's parking on one side, and then there's illeagally marked cars outside the shops, leaving just room, on our Victorian designed roads, for only one vehicle to drive through, and that includes buses.

Old 25-05-2010, 00:36   #45
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I did not mention either of those words
No I did.

After you mentioned other examples of 'sweeteners'.

Quite an apt choice of word really.

If you're good little children, and do exactly what I want, I'll reward you with some nice sweeties.

Didn't we used to have public information films, warning us to be wary of people offering us sweets in exchange for 'doing things'?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..