Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2004, 22:57   #1
Member.

Pitt Street

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what was once "Pitt Street" is now called - and when did they change it.

Ta

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2004, 07:29   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Pitt Street

I think this has now simply been absorbed as part of "Eastgate" - the bit in front of Netto/CBS. I'm not sure Melbourne St offically exists now either. (That was the bit from Stanley St to Burnley Rd.)

Presumably the name was lost when Eastgate was created.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 24-06-2004 at 08:01.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 08:23   #3
Member.

Good Moring Willow,

Yes it was in accy, but I don't know how long ago it changed....could have donkeys year. But it was there in 1901....
Old 24-06-2004, 08:35   #4
Resident Waffler

oops lol I edited my post but you must have had the original before you when you replied. I found it on an old map and realised it was a continuation of Melbourne Street - joining up with Abbey Street. It is part of what is now known as Eastgate.

Old 24-06-2004, 08:39   #5
Member.

Thanks Willow....
Old 24-06-2004, 08:43   #6
Resident Waffler

You're welcome

Personally I think it's a great shame we lost Elephant Street. There was some urban myth/local folk tale attached to that about a circus elephant (died there?). People didn't believe me that there ever was an Elephant Street until I showed it to them on an old census.

Old 24-06-2004, 08:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
You're welcome

Personally I think it's a great shame we lost Elephant Street. There was some urban myth/local folk tale attached to that about a circus elephant (died there?). People didn't believe me that there ever was an Elephant Street until I showed it to them on an old census.
Was it a Trunk Road??
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 09:01   #8
Resident Waffler

Talking Re: Pitt Street

I think it was round the back of New Jerusalem church somewhere but I'm not sure exactly where. I believe it was there in the 60s so not sure what happened to it.

Old 24-06-2004, 09:15   #9
God Member

There are some piccy's of Elephant street in the Accy Photo's section, but you'll have to search far back..they went on about Oct/Nov last year, I think.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 09:26   #10
Resident Waffler

Thanks Tealeaf. I'll go and have a dig.

Old 24-06-2004, 09:47   #11
Resident Waffler

Found it! (Elephant Street I mean) Small Street to be named after such a large animal. It seems that it has now been incorporated in the development at the bottom of Plantation Street. I was roughly in the right area anyway.

Old 24-06-2004, 15:06   #12
Senior Member+

Elephant Street and Pitt Street

Here are a couple of photos showing Elephant Street, one taken looking up from Plantation Street and one taken looking down from, believe, Birtwistle Street (this street is still there. If you were about to call into the garage on Abbey Street, near the Swan Pub,
(coming from town centre) as you indicate you will see an electricity "box" which seems to completely block your view when trying to get in and out of the garage. This is the beginning of Birtwistle Street, leading up to Cobham Road.
It is supposed to be perfectly true about the street being named after an elephant. One of the Victorian travelling circuses was in town, when an elephant named "Chimey" died and so they named the street after it. This is also the street where there was a pub called The Welcome Inn, where George Formby's wife lived as a girl with her parents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elephantstreet1966a_resize.jpg (64.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg elephantstreetabc1966_resize.jpg (90.6 KB, 59 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 15:07   #13
Senior Member+

Re: Elephant Street and Pitt Street

Forgot to say, the photos are compliments of Owd Bert and date from 1966
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 15:21   #14
God Member

Funny, that is'nt it.............1966 - the year we won the world cup and I notice that Morris Oxford car is'nt flying the English Flag. Of course, we did'nt have to in those days...

But as regards Pitt street....any idea's on why it's so called? (as per Doug's original question)

Last edited by Tealeaf; 24-06-2004 at 15:33.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 15:34   #15
Resident Waffler

Thanks Atarah. It looks like Elephant Street was in the region of this red star. The part of Eastgate between the two arrows was Pitt St.

Now how do I attach a photo in here?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..