Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2010, 10:14   #1

Smile Places for teens

Was talking to my grandad today and he said that we teenagers don't have enough to do entertainment wise. after 15 minutes of arguing that we have just as much entertainment I was honestly beaten. my gran and grandad both said they used to go to dance halls, cinema, etc

so I got the idea for a teens only themed disco night.

things like. surfs up, the 50s, Zombie invasion (I like that one best), steam-punk night, etc

does anyone think this would be possible to set up and do you think people would have fun?.
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2010, 12:24   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Places for teens

owt like that organised fer teens, i think would go down great. IMHO.
Old 22-05-2010, 12:56   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver93 View Post
Was talking to my grandad today and he said that we teenagers don't have enough to do entertainment wise. after 15 minutes of arguing that we have just as much entertainment I was honestly beaten. my gran and grandad both said they used to go to dance halls, cinema, etc

so I got the idea for a teens only themed disco night.

things like. surfs up, the 50s, Zombie invasion (I like that one best), steam-punk night, etc

does anyone think this would be possible to set up and do you think people would have fun?.
I can see where your Grandparents are coming from Oliver, but the needs of young people have moved on since I was a lad, I'm nearly 64 and maybe older than your GPs. Things that kept my age group occupied would not be entertained by today's youth, young people have much more money today (and that's not a criticism) okay we had three cinemas in ossy in the fifties and sixties with the films changing 3 times a week in each picture house, and we seemed more content making our own amusement than young people today (again not a criticism) of course we didn't have video games or multi channel TV (3 channels was all we had and as for colour) Even so I still support help for youngsters, I worked for years as secretary of the Oswaldtwistle Youth Support Group, raising money to help young people and campaigning for the Youth and community centre which now stands on Harvey Street in the town and off which I still have connections. As for setting up the things you mentioned, get your ideas together and contact the youth services ( call in at the Ossy Youth Club) you never know what can be achieved until you try, best of luck with our efforts
Old 22-05-2010, 18:52   #4

just give it a try and see what happens
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 19:36   #5
God Member

Quote:
Places for teens
a few suggestions

List of Prisons

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 20:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
a few suggestions

List of Prisons
and here I was thinking I was the only smartass on this forum.

I can't really say much on how much money teens can burn (as I am skint 11 months of the year). I think the reason teens don't make our own fun is that we are just to scared (shy if you like) to go organize these things. thus you get a lot of people acting the big man and causing trouble to look hard and cool
Old 22-05-2010, 21:00   #7
Give, give, give member

Go for it.

My dad was only in his teens when he was running a youth club, and only in his early twenties when he ran Ossy's one and only nightclub, Gobbinlanders, which was for young people, and didn't serve alcohol. Though many platformed shoed glitter kids tried to sneak it in.

You could run the themed nights for non-profit, and just cover your costs, and perhaps donate any profits to worthy causes.

Such initiative would look very impressive on any c.v.

Good luck.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 21:05   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:

I can't really say much on how much money teens can burn (as I am skint 11 months of the year). I think the reason teens don't make our own fun is that we are just to scared (shy if you like) to go organize these things. thus you get a lot of people acting the big man and causing trouble to look hard and cool
Before I moved away, first to art school in Liverpool, and then to work in fashion in London, I was always putting on one nighters round here. Primarily to raise funds for those at college who didn't have the dosh for trips to exhibitions and such.

It's really easy.

Find a venue you like, go and talk to the person in charge. Ask them what there quietest night is, and then ask what'll they'll do for you if you can guarantee fifty/a hundred/whatever number of people, packed in to their gaff.

Old 22-05-2010, 21:27   #9
Resting in Peace

Perhaps you may wish to speak to Gayle, Oliver. Themed nights for youngsters were brought up as a suggestion at a recent meeting. Looking for young people like yourself with ideas and opinions of what teenagers want these days. See this thread :

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tml#post816665
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 21:36   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Perhaps you may wish to speak to Gayle, Oliver. Themed nights for youngsters were brought up as a suggestion at a recent meeting. Looking for young people like yourself with ideas and opinions of what teenagers want these days. See this thread :

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tml#post816665
I think the new centre is just the sort of thing Oliver should be getting involved with.

Good call Katex.

These things are being started to be used, and offer help and support.

Six months time we want to be reading your ad on here, for your first themed night.

Old 23-05-2010, 09:51   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:

No oliver there are lots besides accyman
Old 23-05-2010, 11:28   #12
God Member

I agree - and would love to hold discos and themed nights.

Our one slight problem is that we would need a lot of volunteer support to help out. So, anyone who wants to be chaperone can let me know and I'll gladly put some events on.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..