Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 10:48   #1
God Member

Plumbing in a washing machine

I am a Hyndburn Homes tenant who has been waiting almost 2 years for a promised refurb of kitchen and bathroom.
I despair of waiting.I have drawn a scale plan of the kitchen layout I want.

I know it will work because, as a previous owner occupier, it is about the 6th I have designed.

I need a dishwasher. I propose to put it where the washing machine is now.
It can use the water inlet and drain plumbing that the washer did - (it drains into the sink Ubend coupling), so that is not a problem.

The washing machine needs resiting in a walk-in storeroom off the kitchen and will need the plumbing of a water supply and drain water outlet.

Pipes for both those already pass through that storeroom (which is between the bathroom and kitchen), and are less than 2 feet from where the washer will be sited.

The plumbing job will need the fitting of a branch off the cold water pipe (new washer will be coldfill only), and a branch drain pipe to join the existing drain pipe which runs from the kitchen sink through that storeroom.

There is an easily accessible power supply for a washer on the other side of one of the walls in the storeroom. The wall is plasterboard (more like cardboard) so a resiting of that socket from one side of a wall to the other should be easy peasy for a leccy. That power supply was the, now defunct, supply to the old gas warm air boiler which was removed almost 2 years ago- the wiring remains (unused since)
I am willing to use an extension lead for a temporary period while I continue to wait for the promised refurb so a plumber only is needed.

I could wait for my kitchen refurbishment to get this job done free as part of that, but I despair of waiting.

I require a couple of rough estimates (not binding quotes), so that I can decide whether to go ahead with this at my own expense.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52   #2
God Member

Re: Plumbing in a washing machine

dont you have to have the layout that HH provide for you?
my friend has just had hers done and they never gave her the option

i know we had to go with Twin Valley's layout

i wasnt aware that you could plan it out without them

Last edited by flashy; 04-01-2009 at 10:55.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:01   #3
God Member

I think that you are allowed to influence the layout as long as what you want is technically feasible, and meets health and safety standards.
There is no point in them imposing a layout which wont fit the appliances you have.

When darwendosser got his Twin Valley tenancy a few years ago, the layout had already been planned with the previous tenant, and it was slightly modified to suit his appliances.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:13   #4
God Member

ahhhhhhh i didnt know, i had mine done nearly 7 years ago now, just after twin valley took over, it needs doing again in my opinion
Old 04-01-2009, 11:22   #5
God Member

Will pm you Margaret.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:26   #6
God Member

I have been a tenant here since September 2002 - before the HH takeover.

The kitchen cupboard doors had chipped and peeling melamine - the chipboard was exposed in places - yet all they did was fit a new worktop which had been 'hacked at' by the previous tenant (looked like he had widened the cooker slot using a bread knife)
I hung new doors and a drawerfront at my own expense then - cost me about £100 using B&Q sale prices.

Since then I have replaced slimline undercounter fridge and freezer with a full size fridge/freezer.
The fridge freezer is backing onto the wall between lounge and kitchen where there is a large radiator (on the other side of the cardboard) - so it would be better resited where it backs onto an exterior wall - my layout plan has that.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:37   #7
I am Banned

The washing machine needs resiting in a walk-in storeroom off the kitchen and will need the plumbing of a water supply and drain water outlet.

Could the Fridge go in there as well.

When I replanned my daughters kitchen, I made a scale model out of thin card, all the appliances in card to scale, then shuffled them round till they fit & she was satisfied, then replumbed and rewired the kitchen. New units, new every thing, tiled the walls with some fancy mozaic tiles she bought, took longer tiling, trying to keep every thing square and level, than did the rest of the job, 144 little tiles to a sheet, 70 odd sheets, ever tried cutting a thin strip off 12 little tiles, had to use a diamond saw.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 04-01-2009 at 11:46. Reason: spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:41   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Will pm you Margaret.
Looks like the problem is sorted folks

Old 04-01-2009, 11:45   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

Could the Fridge go in there as well.
When I replanned my daughters kitchen, I made a scale model out of thin card, all the appliances in card to scale, then shuffled them round till they fit & she was satisfied, then replumbed and rewired the kitchen. New units, new every thing.

Retlaw.
For ease of use the fridge/freezer will be better placed nearer the worktop food prep surface and the cooker. I only use the washer for 2 or 3 loads a week so it will be better put in there, in what will then be a small 'laundry room' (there isn't room for both)

Last edited by MargaretR; 04-01-2009 at 11:48.
Old 04-01-2009, 13:14   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

HH have a bad habit of installing 500mm wide worktops. Most appliances are 600mm and stick out looking stupid. Make sure you tell them you want 600mm wide worktops Margaret
Old 04-01-2009, 13:35   #11
God Member

My worktops now are 600mm - wouldn't have any less.
I have so many worktop plug in gadgets that I am struggling with space to put them now.

I have now chosen my new washing machine and have done the price search and am on the point of ordering..........but before I do....I need to know whether I need to order the 'remove old appliance' option (extra £18)....so I am offering my old washer (in working order) FREE .... see new post in the appropriate section

Old 09-01-2009, 14:24   #12
God Member

Old washer went Tuesday - new washer delivered Thursday - installed in new position by Derek's workmen Friday - job well done at a very reasonable price
Thank you Derekgas

It's been a hectic 5 days

Old 09-01-2009, 14:42   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Old washer went Tuesday - new washer delivered Thursday - installed in new position by Derek's workmen Friday - job well done at a very reasonable price
Thank you Derekgas

It's been a hectic 5 days
thats what ya get wi those lads,used em twice meself, wouldn't use anyone else.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..