Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25   #1
Senior Member+

Porter Brothers & Gardner Ltd

I have been given a pen-knife inscribed with this Accrington company's name and the words 'V Ropes'. The firm isn't in the 1951 directory. Where were they based< When? What else did they make.??
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35   #2
God Member

Re: Porter Brothers & Gardner Ltd

Porter Bros was a painting and decorating company who had premises on Warner St. As well as selling decorating materials they also employed men who did decorating.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40   #3
God Member

Whoops ! - found this
Porter Bros & Gardner Ltd., Great Harwood, Unit 1/Norden Court, Alan Ramsbottom Way

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:20   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have been given a pen-knife inscribed with this Accrington company's name and the words 'V Ropes'. The firm isn't in the 1951 directory. Where were they based< When? What else did they make.??
There used to be an outlet for that firm on Bank St between Oak St & Black Abbey, they also sold calor gas cylinders as well, inside they had racks of industrial clothing, helmets, footware, and tools.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:24   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I think you will find that V-ropes are the same as V-belts but which could be made up to whatever diameter was required by stapling the ends together - a specific stapling tool was required.
Old 02-12-2013, 17:32   #6
Senior Member+

Thanks for these posts.
Old 02-12-2013, 18:05   #7
Senior Member+

I think they had a place near the top of Bank street.
Gilbraith tankers had an account with them and when we wanted boots or any protective clothing we would get them there and signed for them.
The company paid later.
Old 02-12-2013, 18:08   #8
Resting in Peace

They also had a shop just higher up than Church Station, between the Palladium and the Station, only small but they sold things like hosepipes and willies waterproof clothing, racked the shop out when I worked for Pilkington's in the late sixties
Old 02-12-2013, 18:26   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
willies waterproof clothing,
Is this an upper class description of a condom
Old 02-12-2013, 18:35   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Is this an upper class description of a condom
Missed that one Barrie what a difference and I makes instead of an e
Old 02-12-2013, 18:49   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
things like hosepipes and willies waterproof clothing,
Ah, one of those shops then! For the discerning Fetishist?
Old 02-12-2013, 20:00   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Ah, one of those shops then! For the discerning Fetishist?
Not back in the sixties Dave
Old 02-12-2013, 22:09   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Not back in the sixties Dave
They were around long ago but don't sound too pleasant:
Casanova in the 18th century was one of the first reported using "assurance caps" to prevent impregnating his mistresses.
From at least the 18th century, condom use was opposed in some legal, religious, and medical circles for essentially the same reasons that are given today: condoms reduce the likelihood of pregnancy, which some thought immoral or undesirable for the nation; they do not provide full protection against sexually transmitted infections, while belief in their protective powers was thought to encourage sexual promiscuity; and, they are not used consistently due to inconvenience, expense, or loss of sensation.
Despite some opposition, the condom market grew rapidly. In the 18th century, condoms were available in a variety of qualities and sizes, made from either linen treated with chemicals, or "skin" (bladder or intestine softened by treatment with sulfur and lye).[2]:94–5 They were sold at pubs, barbershops, chemist shops, open-air markets, and at the theater throughout Europe and Russia.[2]:90–2,97,104 They later spread to America, although in every place there were generally used only by the middle and upper classes, due to both expense and lack of sex education.
(from Wikipedia)

Last edited by susie123; 02-12-2013 at 22:11.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 13:20   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
They were sold at pubs, barbershops, chemist shops, open-air markets, and at the theater throughout Europe and Russia.
I spent a fortune on aspirins in the late 50's.
Strange, because I never had headaches!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 13:33   #15
Senior Member+

'Loss of sensation' referred to my Susie - I recall someone telling me it was like paddling with wellingtons on......Can we get back to Porter Brothers & Gardner ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..