Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2008, 12:33   #1
Junior Member+

Question Positive Vibes about Accrington.

I'm in the process of moving to Accrington from Preston,hopefully straight after Christmas.I've done as much research as possible, but need some positive info from any locals as to what's hot and what's not etc. I haven't told my mum yet!Who's bound to treat the news as if I were moving abroad!! My ex is under the illusion that Accrington is possibly twinned with the Bronx!And it's nearly Christmas!Eeek!The Stress!I would be most grateful if anyone could send some good vibes to fight off the inevitable barrage I face when breaking the news of my departure!Thanks.
Seraphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-12-2008, 12:39   #2
K-P

Re: Positive Vibes about Accrington.

I moved from Preston to here about 20 years ago.. One of the site admins also moved from Preston..

Depends on what your looking for.. As a family man I prefer the small town and the schools for my kids.. however my eldest lads moved to Preston when they left home because it's dead here according to them and the bright lights of Preston where beckoning.
Old 15-12-2008, 12:53   #3
God Member

I moved to Accy a few short years ago, and have had no major problems, I dont venture out on the pub scene much, but have enjoyed it when I have, most on here are good, honest, genuine people, if you need to know anything specific you came to the right place.
Old 15-12-2008, 13:20   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ya can't go wrong with the people in accy, thats a big plus anywhere, sure theres wrong uns, but same anywhere, i came back after 9 years away, due to tragic circs, the comradeship n support i got was second to none, on this site i have made many friends, who i never knew from adam. one of our mods moved from preston, sure he will fill you in better as a invader.
Old 15-12-2008, 13:27   #5
God Member

I live in Accy and commute over 100 miles a day to work. I could move but I won't for a number of reasons

small town feel ( community spirit )
less than 30 mins to shop in any of preston, bury, burnley, Blackburn, clitheroe and not much more for Manchester.
20 mins from ribble Valley
45 mins from Blackpool/southport
1 hour from Lakes
Cheap Housing - ( I have a lovely 3 bed semi dormer bungalow in nice part of town for price of a derelict 2 up 2 down in Knutsford)
Decent schools
Friendly people
despite the downturn still some nice pubs
little ASBO behaviour(listening to colleagues who live in Manchester and other areas they all seem to suffer a lot more anti social stuff than I have ever seen or known about)

Strange as it sounds, I'm quite proud to say where I come from and my accent often gets commented on in a nice way ( they say it makes me sound 'honest')

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 13:35   #6
K-P

entwisi .. most of your points are the same in preston and moreso in some .. as a comparison you make a good argument for preston hahaha

accept the small town feel and cheep housing
Old 15-12-2008, 14:22   #7
God Member

No one has said Preston is a bad place to live though so its perfectly valid to say them as the context of the Q was about defending Accy from a "son of the Bronx" reputation.

Old 15-12-2008, 14:39   #8
Junior Member+

Preston isn't a 'bad' place to live, it has a lot going for it!I just wanted some extra positivity to give me a boost!Tis hard to stay upbeat in the face of all the negative stuff people say.I feel like I'm the only one who appreciates the finer points of Accrington!Ha!That sounded rather adorable eh!House moving is so stressful,wish me luck!
Seraphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 14:44   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
Preston isn't a 'bad' place to live, it has a lot going for it!I just wanted some extra positivity to give me a boost!Tis hard to stay upbeat in the face of all the negative stuff people say.I feel like I'm the only one who appreciates the finer points of Accrington!Ha!That sounded rather adorable eh!House moving is so stressful,wish me luck!
Which area are you going to Seraphine ? if you don't mind me asking.

Love your profile, bit of culture coming to our area

Last edited by katex; 15-12-2008 at 14:46.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 15:42   #10
K-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
No one has said Preston is a bad place to live though so its perfectly valid to say them as the context of the Q was about defending Accy from a "son of the Bronx" reputation.
listing good reasons to move to accy from preston.. listing things that preston are equally or better at didnt seem the point thats all.. dont get all uppity about it.. it was a smiley post.. just an observation thats all.

Anyways to add to my bit... As much as i loved preston i have never regretted moving and am always so glad I did
Old 15-12-2008, 15:43   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
bit of culture coming to our area
Reminds me of when I moved over here, must have been at least six months before I realised I needed to dumb down
Old 15-12-2008, 15:56   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Reminds me of when I moved over here, must have been at least six months before I realised I needed to dumb down
Had go give a little smile to that one. Where did you come from Dave?

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 16:06   #13

Go looking for it and you can find really beautiful places in our town.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 18:28   #14
Resting in Peace

Just had a quick look at your profile and it seems you are the same age as my daughter.
To that end I will let her talk to you about Accy you may get more sense out of her than I do.

She's Vicky1

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 20:13   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
listing good reasons to move to accy from preston.. listing things that preston are equally or better at didnt seem the point thats all.. dont get all uppity about it.. it was a smiley post.. just an observation thats all.

Anyways to add to my bit... As much as i loved preston i have never regretted moving and am always so glad I did
The OP didn't ask for reasons why Accy is better than Preston, she asked for why its good to live here.

Perhaps in your old age and new persona your grasp of language is failing you

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..