Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2013, 18:39   #1
Junior Member+

Price of coal & nutty slack

Hi,
can anybody tell me the price of coal or nutty slack, in the nineteen twenty s.
I know it was a long time ago, so if a mans wage was £2 week and he had to feed and cloth a family of 6 presumably coal was cheap, but how cheap, can any body please help!!!
Jethro
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-08-2013, 06:08   #2
Mog

Re: Price of coal & nutty slack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Hi,
can anybody tell me the price of coal or nutty slack, in the nineteen twenty s.
I know it was a long time ago, so if a mans wage was £2 week and he had to feed and cloth a family of 6 presumably coal was cheap, but how cheap, can any body please help!!!
Jethro
In 1925 best house coal was between 25 shillings and 30 shillings a ton at the pit head. If you are old like me and Cashy, you will know there are 20cwt in a ton.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 07:20   #3
I am Banned

How much was a bag of coal then Mog delivered to the Mog family home? I assume a bag was a hundredweight (cwt) ? Could coal workers get cheaper coal than Joe public?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 07:38   #4
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
How much was a bag of coal then Mog delivered to the Mog family home? I assume a bag was a hundredweight (cwt) ? Could coal workers get cheaper coal than Joe public?
In the late sixties, We had what was called concesionary coal allowance. This varied depending upon the area you lived in. Bearing in mind you had to be the home owner or tenant. Son living with mam and dad got nowt. 2/0d a cwt we paid in Accy and you were allowed 10 bags a month. In Warwickshire you were allowed the same ten bags but you paid for the haulage. About 10 bob. Or you could sell back your allowance if you were daft. But you depended upon the haulage company to be honest. Who knows if there was a full cwt in each bag or not.

Last edited by Neil; 29-08-2013 at 23:00. Reason: *'s
Old 29-08-2013, 07:50   #5
God Member

The coal merchants who delivered it would sometimes cheat.
It was wise to watch a delivery from the start because a common fiddle was to drop an empty sack outside the coal place to make it look like that sack had already been emptied, so you actually got one sack short.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 08:16   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
In the late sixties, We had what was called concesionary coal allowance. This varied depending upon the area you lived in. Bearing in mind you had to be the home owner or tenant. Son living with mam and dad got nowt. 2/0d a cwt we paid in Accy and you were allowed 10 bags a month. In Warwickshire you were allowed the same ten bags but you paid for the haulage. About 10 bob. Or you could sell back your allowance if you were a **** head. But you depended upon the haulage company to be honest. Who knows if there was a full cwt in each bag or not.
So how much cheaper was it for you Mog?

There must have been Weights and Measures back in the day? I seem to remember some copper disc or tags embossed with 1 cwt on some sacks??

Last edited by DtheP47; 29-08-2013 at 08:19.
Old 29-08-2013, 08:25   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It was wise to watch a delivery from the start because a common fiddle was to drop an empty sack outside the coal place to make it look like that sack had already been emptied, so you actually got one sack short.
A bit off thread Margaret but connected to things subterranean, how you doing with the diggings for the water main on Rishton Road?
Forts Arms Beer Festival this weekend and Janice aka "The tattooed lady" is worrying that the vibrations will upset the barrels on the racks.
Old 29-08-2013, 08:53   #8
Mog

Quote:
So how much cheaper was it for you Mog?

There must have been Weights and Measures back in the day? I seem to remember some copper disc or tags embossed with 1 cwt on some sacks??
It was about 5 bob a bag cheaper, but the problem was that if you bought a bag of coal off the the local coal merchant. You would get the best coal. Our coal was from the pit you worked at and wasn't deemed to be of the best quality. Yes I also remember the cwt tags, but that didn't mean a great deal apart from it was a cwt when it left the depot. Say no more.
Old 29-08-2013, 09:37   #9
God Member

Quote:
how you doing with the diggings for the water main on Rishton Road?
Forts Arms Beer Festival this weekend and Janice aka "The tattooed lady" is worrying that the vibrations will upset the barrels on the racks.
I haven't been out to look.
I wouldn't know it was happening if my visitors and deliverymen hadn't sometimes mentioned their 'detour' to reach me.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 11:19   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Coal carters were obliged to have a set off scales & 56lb weigts on their carts, and could be asked for a weigh check before delivery, every body was aware of the empty bag scam, it only worked if the householder came out to watch 1/2 way thro the delivery.
During the last war as kids we went coal picking up on the mine tip up thro Broad Oak Factory, its surprising how much usable coal was in that tip, and it certainly made a difference at home.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 11:31   #11
Senior Member+

I wonder if cashman remembers the lorry driver who lived on Hood Street in the 60's.
He drove a red bulk tipper and brought coal to East and West Lancashire merchants from the Yorkshire coal fields, usually best quality house coal.
He always seemed to have a big stack of coal in his back yard and sold it by the barrow load, bring your own barrow. One Irishman who lived at the top house had an enormous barrow and always got his moneys worth. If I recall correctly it was ten bob a barrowful.

There were still traces of coal dust in the wall inside the yard when I sold the house. Oops, given the game away.
Old 29-08-2013, 17:24   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I had a mate in those days Dave who owned a coal business, I sometimes went out delivering with him on Saturday mornings, that was around 1970 the price then was around 6 shillings a seven pence,
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 17:38   #13
Senior Member+

The striking Nottinghamshire miners in the winter of '71/'72 were selling bags of coal in the car park of the pub in Flintham at £1.00 per bag

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..