Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 17:13   #16
God Member

Re: private swimming lessons ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Jones View Post
Big Fish Swim Skool is excellent. Check out their website www.bigfishswimskool.co.uk They have lessons at the Dunkenhalgh, QEGS and the Clarion. Lessons are really small and teachers are excellent and professional. Janine Willacy runs it, her mobile is 0774 302 9303

Any relation.......?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2008, 18:47   #17

Yes they are more expensive but I think they are worth it and better quality, have you seen the cost of Waterbabies? £10.25 per lesson!
Mrs Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 21:20   #18
God Member

[quote=Mrs Jones;627379]Yes they are more expensive but I think they are worth it and better qualityquote]

Depends on you`re financial situation and what you expect for you`re money i suppose......
Old 05-09-2008, 21:35   #19
God Member

The problem is that the terms are to long, most places only do 6 week blocks, you pay up front with an extra bit on top to pay for you`re towel and use of the changing rooms at the Dunk, well i`d let mine get changed poolside and use our own towel and the Dunk could whistle for its pice of the pie........ i ain`t Rockerfella.....
Old 05-09-2008, 21:40   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Any relation.......?
I am afraid that I don't follow this thread.
When I was a youngster many moons ago we were involved in swimming gala's and competitive swimming.
I was taught to swim at Freckleton Street in Blackburn, Belper Street also in Blackburn and when we moved to Church at Accrington Swimming Baths.
I think swimming tuition should be free as it was in my day and if a good prospect....and there are many should be offered free lessons to progress.
Swimming was the only discipline I excelled in....I played Water Polo for a team of combined services whilst in the Army and enjoyed every encounter be it Chinese, Australian or New Zealanders who challenged.
I think swimming is then corner stone of:?
Come on ....get real........what are your thought's

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:29   #21
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: private swimming lessons ??

Whatever happened to parents taking their kids to the local baths and teaching them to swim?

No that isn’t quite right – giving them the confidence to do what they can do naturally is closer to the mark.

99.9% of people can swim. All they need is the confidence to do it.

All mammals can swim when the need arises. They just do it without any tuition. Tigers are excellent swimmers and even elephants can swim when they have to. So what’s the big deal with humans?

Give your kids water confidence at bath time. Let them learn that having their faces splashed isn’t going to kill them. Let them learn that their eyes won’t fall out or they will go blind if they open them under water. Let them learn that they won’t die if they hold their breath under water.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:09   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Whatever happened to parents taking their kids to the local baths and teaching them to swim?.

I do but what harm is the extra lessons to improve their techniques going to do....?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:37   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

Let them learn that their eyes won’t fall out or they will go blind if they open them under water..
This is not true jambutty when i took my GOLD A.S.A part of the test was to go through a hoop on either side of the deep end which was 9ft deep
you had to do this 10 times so it meant swimming round the pool 10 times and each time diving down to the hoop on each side so that's 20 times in all you had to keep your eyes open so you could see where the hoop was.
After i finished i got out my eyes where all red and sore with all the chlorine and by the time i was ready to go back to school i could not see a thing it was 6 hours before i got my sight back so yes you can go blind swimming.
and yes i did pass and went on to take and get my RLSS Bronze but the school would not let me go any further as they said they don't consider swimming as a sport
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:49   #24
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
I do but what harm is the extra lessons to improve their techniques going to do....?
Like any sport, to get really good at it you need expert tuition, so there is no harm in that.

But I was referring to teaching kids to swim and giving them ‘water confidence’ in the first instance.

Newly born kids can swim, know how to hold their breath and open their eyes under water. Somehow during the first few years of life this ‘water confidence’ is forgotten.

There are millions of kids in the third world, who live near water, can swim and no one taught them.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:27   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
This is not true jambutty when i took my GOLD A.S.A part of the test was to go through a hoop on either side of the deep end which was 9ft deep
you had to do this 10 times so it meant swimming round the pool 10 times and each time diving down to the hoop on each side so that's 20 times in all you had to keep your eyes open so you could see where the hoop was.
After i finished i got out my eyes where all red and sore with all the chlorine and by the time i was ready to go back to school i could not see a thing it was 6 hours before i got my sight back so yes you can go blind swimming.
and yes i did pass and went on to take and get my RLSS Bronze but the school would not let me go any further as they said they don't consider swimming as a sport
But by then you had learned ‘water confidence’.

I think that you should qualify your statement to read; “so yes you can go blind swimming - after spending a long time in chlorinated water.” It’s the chlorine that makes your eyes sore not the water. You can get the same effect in sea water.

We kids spent more time diving for pennies or a ‘brick’ than actually swimming length after length. And yes our eyes became red and sore. I never lost my sight though. But I had the added effect of uncontrollable itching of my nose.

Haven’t swimming baths stopped using chlorine and use ozone aerated water instead?

My school in the fifties sent each class to the baths once a week. We were taken by corporation bus to the baths and brought back. Those who couldn’t swim were taught to do so and those who could practiced to get better at it. And it included diving from a diving board at 6 feet or so high.

There was a ‘width’ certificate, one for a length, one for ten lengths, quarter, half and mile. (1 Mile = 71 lengths at Accy baths) We were encouraged to get the Bronze and Life Saving. The really good swimmers went on for the Silver and Gold. All during school time.

We were also taken by corporation bus to King George’s Playing Fields to play football or cricket.

Like all the others of my era, my school had an annual school inter house gala and also an inter school gala. There was also the inter house school sports day and inter school sports day. No one blubbed when they came last either and no one took the pith out of them either.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:50   #26
Resting in Peace

No you said" you cant go blind opening your eyes under water" i say yes you can
Old 06-09-2008, 11:13   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You won't get him to admit he is wrong Mick, it would be easier just banning him for arguing with a mod
Old 06-09-2008, 12:13   #28
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
I did indeed but where did I mention chlorinated water?

Your argument is based on chlorinated water and I agree that the chlorine does make your eyes sore after a while. If you say you were blind for a few hours then you were blind but not from the water – it was the chlorine in the water.

It is rather sad when even an Administrator can’t read what has been written and puts his own spin on what was. It’s no wonder that some other members follow suit.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:23   #29
Resting in Peace

sorry but i think you will find its you thats trying to turn things round
Old 06-09-2008, 12:31   #30
Senior Member+

I think Jambutty just argues for something to do.....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..