Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 13:23   #31
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: private swimming lessons ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
sorry but i think you will find its you thats trying to turn things round
My statement was “Let them learn that their eyes won’t fall out or they will go blind if they open them under water.” There is no mention of chlorine or even a hint of chlorine or indeed a mention of swimming baths.

You brought in the chlorine point and I have agreed with you that in chlorinated water, after lengthy immersion, the eyes do get sore and in your quoted case blinded you for a while.

So where’s the ‘turning around’?

Oh! I get it! You’ve jumped on the “let’s try and prove jambutty wrong bandwagon”. And from an Administrator too!

Disgraceful! Absolutely disgraceful!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:59   #32
Resting in Peace

Re: private swimming lessons ??

So just where do the children learn to swim or go underwater with there eyes open ?
in a tin bath in front of the fire ? i dout it they go to the swimming baths.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:58   #33
God Member

JB its no wonder you think everyones against you is it? nothing like making enemies with everything you say
Old 07-09-2008, 10:32   #34
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: private swimming lessons ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
So just where do the children learn to swim or go underwater with there eyes open ?
in a tin bath in front of the fire ? i dout it they go to the swimming baths.
I taught my kids to be comfortable in water in the bath at home and the kitchen sink. We had got past the tin bath in front of the fire years ago.

With the kitchen sink full of lukewarm water the child took a deep breath and held it for as long as she wanted to. After several ‘breath holds’ she knew that she would not die if she wasn’t actually breathing. The next step was to dunk her face into the water for as long as she felt comfortable. It didn’t take very long before she was trying to stay underwater for longer and longer. I would time her immersion and tell her the result. Then she was encouraged to open her eyes under water and after a tentative start she did so quite happily. I knew that she had opened her eyes because as she dunked her face into the water with her eyes tightly shut, I would slip a coin, or a key or something into the water and she would tell me what she saw.

At bath time she was shown that she would float on her back and on her front with her face in the water. In other words she soon realised that she would not sink to the bottom and drown. With the bath some five feet long and a child barely two feet tall there is room for a couple of kicks to ‘swim’ its length.

With this new found confidence of being in water it took just one session in the local baths to teach her to swim, albeit it on her back. The next session was breaststroke and then the crawl. After that it was swimming the width and then the length and then diving in off the side. Later it was diving from the diving board.
Old 07-09-2008, 13:26   #35
God Member

Soooooooooooooo where do people recommend for private swimming lessons then......?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 13:48   #36
God Member

I remember having a bath in the sink..............
Old 07-09-2008, 13:48   #37
God Member

The wife went mad...............
Old 07-09-2008, 15:49   #38
God Member

I had my swimming lessons at padiham pool and the instructor was called tommy, then again that was 30 yrs ago so i don`t know if he`s still going...........
Old 07-09-2008, 15:55   #39
God Member

can i just say, i dont think Howarth needs swimming lessons for the lads anymore
Old 07-09-2008, 16:29   #40
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: private swimming lessons ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
What has this all got to do with private swimming lessons unless of course you are demonstrating the depths you will go to to ruin yet another thread you thought you could take possession of?
If you look back you will note that it wasn’t me who took this thread off topic. It never is but somehow I seem to get blamed.

It was Royboy39 when part way through his post he launched into his own personal experience of playing water polo in the army. What that has to do with learning to swim is beyond me.

Then Administrator mick launched into his school swimming experiences and made a point of contradicting what I had stated by introducing chlorine.

Thereafter my posts were in response to other posts.

But hey, why let the reality spoil an attempt blame me. It happens all the time.

And that will be my last word in this thread. Not only will I not respond, I’m not even going to bother reading any further infantile comments.
Old 07-09-2008, 16:51   #41
God Member

There is also a private pool in rosegrove that does lessons but i can`t think of its name.......
Old 08-09-2008, 10:57   #42
Junior Member+

The one at Rosegrove is called Swimsafe and it's really good but you pay for it (was about £11.50 a lesson when my son finished about a year ago). Very small class sizes, small pool and very strict instructor but some of the kids are swimming within weeks of joining. My son is now an excellent swimmer so it was well worth the cost.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 18:08   #43
Give, give, give member

My parents have an indoor pool, and when my dad retired he looked into the possibility of giving private swimming lessons.

There was so much red tape, that it really wasn't worth the bother.

Still, if we see a plaster floating in the water now, we at least know whose it is.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..